How to apply textures in NifSkope?

lovender

In Oblivion, we can apply the textures to the blank meshes...cos there's a 'choose' option.

But, there's no 'choose' option below the 0 NiNode in Fallout 3 meshes...

So how can we set textures to the new mod's meshes?

Or after we do some editing in Blender?

Please someone explain...

I believe it's simple...I just don't know how.

Thanks in advance.

All the really good tricks are located at http://fallout3nexus.com/articles/ which not many people even know about... Useful in this case from this article which goes into which spots of the 5-6 use which type of texture difuse, normal, enviroment, ect http://fallout3nexus.com/articles/article.php?id=197

Look into Nifscope, because it was designed to work with .Nif there are some optimizations an spells that can help things, plus it's really easy to use. You can sort of get the menu type pick a texture using nifscope, find the BShader Texture Set, something like that. click it an in block details it displays the current textures, which I think if you click the flower it gives you that menu type pick a texture.

I just type out the folder path, but there are some tricks.

1. have to set up Nifscope to look at folders for textures, these folders have to be named "data", at least I think they do, I have my actual game data folder, then on the desktop I also have a fake data folder which is my current projects, but once something is finished an installed I purge the fake data folder, nothing but shortcuts on the desktop you know to keep the desktop size low, so it doesn't crash when exiting applications.

2. There's some other set up for nifscope, I think the file tab has a resources auto search, then in render/options auto-detect game files/paths, the fake data folder gets added manually though.

3. Then you switch a lot between views, view block list, view block details, show blocks in tree or show blocks in list... Show blocks in list for example will display everything in the block list. Then if you are crafty, you just adjust the slider tab at the top so that it cuts off the names except for BShaderTextureSet, when you do this all the other names end in ... so the "Set" part of BshaderTextureSet sticks out, an you can now quickly see all the texture in a mesh pretty easy. All the same stuff is in the block list when it's set on "show blocks in tree" it just means you have to click on the + to open it, and there are uses for both ways.

4. Block details is where you set textures, the block list will display that part of the tree, but without the block details checked you won't be able to edit the folder path to the textures, double click the name in the block details to type in the name, I used to type them in notepad first, then copy paste, but now I just type it in real quick. There's a flower there too, an I think you either click that or click pause click the folder path which brings up a interface to pick textures in a sort of menu.

Also the GECK will apply textures via the Alternate textures process. If you ask me if you have one mesh an one texture set then Nifscope is the more easy way. Then if you have one mesh an 30 textures it's more easy to use the GECK alternate texture method.

• 10 years later...