Matthiaswagg's Concept Art

Mattiewagg

No offense, I know it's your first attempt, but... If you know how a painting it's made, you always make the sketch before. Coloring is always the last thing. I suggest using a thin black brush. Take your time, and define the shape. Maybe you don't like the cartoony lines on your drawings, and you prefer a painting-like look. But I really recommend praticing a lot on sketching before. I personally find realistic paintings tedious to make and not much rewarding. I prefer making raw sketches of my crazy ideas :smile:

But remember that I'm an hobbyst and I never studied this stuff. If you are interested in seeing my stuff you could add me on Steam.

And my dagger here:

http://i.imgur.com/WigBZAe.jpg

Yeah not the most comfortable handle

Yep, I know. I just was making sure the colors worked (didn't last time), and seeing how the mixing/shading worked with Photoshop. I've not yet done a bunch of actual art in PS yet so I'm still testing the waters.

And that's really nice! Has enough of interest to not be boring, but it's also fairly realistic.

I actually studied art in college if you want some help. And I've used Photoshop there. I'm not great with it, but i know my stuff if you want some opinion. I'm also pretty good at critiquing art. My classmates always came to me for my opinion because i could be hypercritical but still give constructive criticism

I actually studied art in college if you want some help. And I've used Photoshop there. I'm not great with it, but i know my stuff if you want some opinion. I'm also pretty good at critiquing art. My classmates always came to me for my opinion because i could be hypercritical but still give constructive criticism

If you want to critique, go ahead! That's what this thread is for. I realize my art is not all that great and I'd like to improve.

Also, if you're ever interested in doing a bit of concept art, feel free to PM me so we can discuss what sort of thing.

Here's some concept art for the war axe from Battle Wounds of Immersive Quests. It's by no means finished - this is the basic stuff, not the details such as the various engravings that will be on the axe. But here's the general idea. This time I DID sketch first, though while I believe it's a bit of an improvement it could definitely be better. I also have a bunch of layers, though this time I opted for layers by iteration rather than by part of the art - rather than blade, handle, etc. I did SketchBase, ColorBase, Color (this is the details of color), and then a layer underneath so I could clean up stray marks. When I add the engravings I'll have an Engraving layer, and any other details will be in an Elaboration layer. Here it is:

BattleWounds-Waraxe_1:

I'm generally happy with this one, even if it's not the most realistic of designs because of the way the axe blade is situated, which is more centered rather than off to the side. This wouldn't lend to the weight of the blade correctly, so it is an error. I may fix it in the future. I will need to clean up the drawing some as well, it's a bit messy currently.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/Matthiaswagg/BattleWounds-WarAxe_1_zps5ab679f4.png

Tell me what you think, please!

Use different layers for sketching, inking and coloring. Your art will end up much cleaner that way. Try not to make everything so smudgy when doing very simplyfied work. Rough lines and standing out colors are ok. You are trying to present concept, not replicate real deal. After you're done with it, you can try producing detailed art based on your sketch.

PS: You need to study how metal and wood looks like and behaves in different lightning conditions. You can't really feel the shape or weith of the weapon in your pic. Get a roll after toilet paper and draw it in different angles. This exercise will help you with drawing handles.

Use different layers for sketching, inking and coloring. Your art will end up much cleaner that way. Try not to make everything so smudgy when doing very simplyfied work. Rough lines and standing out colors are ok. You are trying to present concept, not replicate real deal. After you're done with it, you can try producing detailed art based on your sketch.

PS: You need to study how metal and wood looks like and behaves in different lightning conditions. You can't really feel the shape or weith of the weapon in your pic. Get a roll after toilet paper and draw it in different angles. This exercise will help you with drawing handles.

I have my layers like that. I'm just getting a handle on the tablet and such.

Thanks for the videos! I'll take a look later.

In that case I think it might be better, if you start with filling your background in some neutral color like grey or sepia and then work out darker and lighter colors to highligh shape. This technique will give you more freedom with brush/pencil strokes on your tablet and you will get used to it much quicker.

Example:

http://www.hudsonvalleypainter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/090227-sketch-hickory-tree-600.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/016/a/1/Brown_Paper_Polar_Bear_Sketch_by_Hbruton.jpg

Couch+sm.jpg

In that case I think it might be better, if you start with filling your background in some neutral color like grey or sepia and then work out darker and lighter colors to highligh shape. This technique will give you more freedom with brush/pencil strokes on your tablet and you will get used to it much quicker.

Example:

http://www.hudsonvalleypainter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/090227-sketch-hickory-tree-600.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/016/a/1/Brown_Paper_Polar_Bear_Sketch_by_Hbruton.jpg

Couch+sm.jpg

I'll certainly try that as well for a future piece of art.

Just finished some concept art for a static. It's the Dwarven communication device given to you in Covert Deductions.

CovertDeductions-DwemerCube_4:

I'm not really that happy with this one, especially the material of the cube, which looks horrendous. But it gets the job done for killerbite, in this case. It likely won't be improved since it doesn't have much more use.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/Matthiaswagg/CovertDeductions-DwemerCube_4_zps6c59f56e.png

And BlackRoseOfThorns, I'm going to be doing some more random concept art to get my skills to a point where they don't look like childish cartoons, so I'll try out your method soon!