NMM & Windows 10 Technical Preview

elmetnuter

Hello there ! :smile:

For those who dare to live dangerously like me and are using Windows 10 Technical Preview as their main OS ; i thought that i might share my insight about a recent trouble.

The Problem :

NMM for Windows 8 would crash after the update of the build that took place yesterday "Build 9860"

I tried everything, like Admin start, re installation and compatibility stuffs.

I have attached the last Trace Log file so maybe someone could interpret it.

The Solution :

Installing the Legacy version of NMM 0.52.3

What i think :

It might be a .NET Framework related problem, since the last version is already installed within the Build 9860 and no past version are there.

When installing the NMM Legacy, the current last version of .NET is installed and so NMM could run.

I am not a Dev or an IT guy so what you have read is all i could think of but i hope that it will help.

----------------------

Cordialement,

elmetnuter

Edited by elmetnuter

Hopefully the next build will fix what that one broke - but I will not hold my breath. :blush:

For those that think Win10 now is a good idea. Please remember it is not a released version yet - a lot of things will change before an actual, release and who knows what they will break. As said living dangerously. :tongue:

If you want a stable OS - stay with what you have for now. If you want to play with the New Win10 - and are willing to take the chance that it will bork your game beyond repair - go ahead - and please let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Hello bben46.

I am having a fresh Skyrim install right now and will let you know what i will encounter.

Beside the NMM problem stated earlier, Skyrim was running smoothly just like on Windows 8.

Have a nice day :)

Hello MAZZ89.

You may try to download .NET Framework version 3 and its updates and then installed them independently from NMM Legacy.

You shoul also make a backup of all your mods that are kept in Nexus Mod Manager file and then do a clean install.

I did not do that the first time : i installed NMM Legacy and even if it worked and recognised the file, i had to re enable each mod. The result was a mess.

Since then,i have made a clean install and it is working as intended. I tried again the non-legacy NMM and it would not work like previously.

See you and good luck.

Edited by elmetnuter

Heya, I've also encountered that tracelog, but I deleted it and now I cannot receive it again because it isn't a nexus crash anymore, just a windows crash.

What is tingling my beans is that it seems NMM isn't allowed to allocate itself memory (hence "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.") When I read that, I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics. WMD reported no errors.

Nexus 0.53.2 seems to be accessing locked information in Tech Preview. Event Viewer lists 2 errors, one application error throwing Exception Code: 0xc0000005 (System.AccessViolationException) and a .NET error which is System.AccessViolationException (same as crash message in tracelog). It may be violating DEP for Windows Tech Preview, going to try with it turned off, see if that helps.

EDIT:

Changing DEP did not help.

I also tried canceling the download/install of .NET Framework 4.5.2 from NMM installer (which should be optional in-case it's already installer or installed directly).

Far as I can gather several components of NMM cannot allocate memory from .NET Framework 4.5.2 in Tech Preview Build 9860.

Edited by MrJohn

Hello all!

I am running Windows 10 Tech Preview, and Nexus Mod Manager keeps crashing on launch. I've figured out my issue, so I figured I'd clue you guys in:

I needed to force NexusClient.exe to run in 32-bit mode.

To do this, I needed a command-line program called CorFlags.exe, which is included in the .NET 4.5 SDK. With Administrative privileges, run:

CorFlags.exe "C:\Program Files\Nexus Mod Manager\NexusClient.exe" /32Bit+

I will note that the stack in the exception thrown is similar, though slightly different, from the one in the first post. From the Event Log:

The following information was included with the event:

Application: NexusClient.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReadInt64(IntPtr, Int32)
at Nexus.Client.Games.Gamebryo.PluginManagement.Boss.StringArrayManualMarshaler.MarshalNativeToManaged(IntPtr, Int32)
at Nexus.Client.Games.Gamebryo.PluginManagement.Boss.BossSorter.MarshalPluginArray(IntPtr, UInt32)
at Nexus.Client.Games.Gamebryo.PluginManagement.Boss.BossSorter.GetLoadOrder()
at Nexus.Client.Games.Gamebryo.PluginManagement.OrderLog.GamebryoPluginOrderLogSerializer.LoadPluginOrder()
at Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.OrderLog.PluginOrderLog.LoadPluginOrder()
at Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.OrderLog.PluginOrderLog..ctor(Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.PluginRegistry, Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.OrderLog.IPluginOrderLogSerializer, Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.IPluginOrderValidator)
at Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.OrderLog.PluginOrderLog.Initialize(Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.PluginRegistry, Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.OrderLog.IPluginOrderLogSerializer, Nexus.Client.PluginManagement.IPluginOrderValidator)
at Nexus.Client.ApplicationInitializer.InitializeServices(Nexus.Client.Games.IGameMode, Nexus.Client.ModRepositories.IModRepository, Nexus.Client.Util.NexusFileUtil, System.Threading.SynchronizationContext, Nexus.Client.UI.ViewMessage ByRef)
at Nexus.Client.ApplicationInitializer.DoApplicationInitialize(Nexus.Client.Games.IGameModeFactory, System.Threading.SynchronizationContext, Nexus.Client.UI.ViewMessage ByRef)
at Nexus.Client.ApplicationInitializer.DoWork(System.Object[])
at Nexus.Client.ThreadedBackgroundTask.RunThreadedWork(System.Object)
at Nexus.Client.Util.Threading.TrackedThread.RunParameterizedThread(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(System.Object)
The handle is invalid

The issue in the first post was an exception thrown on ReadByte, whereas mine was thrown on ReadInt64. Same exception though, maybe it's the same issue?