A lore freindly Batman mod?

VulcanApollo

Greetings,

I want to help write and do concept art for a lore friendly Batman mod. But not in the sense you might be thinking. It is not Bruce Wayne in Skyrim, think of it as an Elseworld tale. There will not be a weird looking Batman armor that looks extremely out of place and no quest attached. It is not a direct lift of Batman. His name will be Bathawk, a vampire hunter with power from an ancient Bat god from Skyrim's past.

I'm writing a brief synopsis, and trying to flesh out the ideas and quest line. When I write it up and draw a few sketches, I will do a full post. Here are some of the brief points

*A Dynamic Bat Cave player home, slight replica of the actual batcave, instead of the giant penny, a giant Bat shrine, which is majestic as much as it is terrifying

*New creatures- mountable Giant Bat and Armored Giant Black Spider. Maybe the Bat would have the AI and skeleton of a dragon, be scaled down to size a bit, and his fire turned into a shock or scream

*Bat armor and weapon set- Batarangs or the first boomerang? Throwing knives

*New companions, which are homages to great comic characters- Robin, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Ghost Rider, Etrigan. Remember, they will not be exactly those characters, but still share the attitude and motivations

*Mask of the Bat, which gives amazing powers to the wearer, powers I'm still trying to pin down.

Mask very reminiscent of The Bat Mask of Tengu

*Gothica, the land where the mod would take place, is the most crowed, dirty, and loud setting in Skyrim, think poverty in England during the 16th century. Streets where you can touch both sides with your arms stretched. Huge over crowded tenements that block out the sky. Not to mention thieves, thugs, and bandits hiding in the alleys waiting to surprise an unsuspecting citizen

*Random Crime- There are a list of 20 offenses that are randomized, the player can find the posters scattered around Gothica attached to trees and buildings alike. killing or capturing them yields a reward

*prostitution, bath houses and brothels- Not in the GTA sense of bang her and get your money back by killing her, but the brothels act as a sort of black market. The more you engage in dialog in the brothel or bath house, you can gain knowledge on new bounties or be able to buy "rare and dangerous items."

I will contribute to the project in anyway I can, since I personally cannot mod, but can help crew visualize the work before it even begins. Also thinking of investing in a mic and small desk top sound booth to do some voice acting, my little cousins are getting too old for them.

I also would like the post to serve as a sort of education on the limits of the capabilities of modding Skyrim. I've looked through the forums quite a bit, but would like to have a direct discussion about these lofty ideas.

First off, I've got to say I love the idea. The problem I see is that you say you have no experience modding, and it's extremely difficult to rally people behind an idea when they would be doing the majority of the work. And the kind of stuff you're talking about will require a ton of work. I'm not saying it cannot be done, I'm saying it is going to be quite the challenge

My suggestion (bear in mind this is only a suggestion)

quest and dialogue writing is great, but people will want to see some progress before they jump on board with you. I'd suggest you try building the Batcave or Gothica, and show images of those that would motivate people to help.

Or if you learned how to model, that would be the most helpful. As most of the stuff you listed above needs to be custom modeled.

Agreed, it does seem rash to ask so much when I myself am not versed in modeling or animation. I was throwing the idea out there, see if anyone would bite. I don't want to just be a random dude who asks for something for nothing. Everything that I am asking for I will end up drawing myself. I'm interested in a collaborative effort, not a free commission.

Skyrim itself had a vast staff, and everyone pooled their talents together to make a great game that folks are still pumping life into. No one asked the writers to sit at a computer and do character models, and no one expected the illustrators on staff to score music. But then again, so far I only have bullet points to show.

Regarding the Ridable Bat. You could scale down a Dragon Model, and then cover it in a Skeaver Texture to give it the bat fur. I'd think it would be really cool if there was a rideable bat mount.

But, why is the bathawk a vampire hunter? Like, does this batman have an actual, original origin? Is he more than just if batman was in skyrim? I doubt he could pull the same thing, considering Bathawk wouldn't have to worry about being arrested for vigilantism. So he wouldn't need to hide his identity. Perhaps he could be a Thalmor who hides his identity to preserve his family's honor while he defends the nords from his own oppressive people? Like, maybe the guy starts off as a normal Thalmor agent, who comes to skyrim to look into the death of his parents, who had come to Skyrim as ambassadors. You agree to seek out the truth with him and you slowly uncover the truth, that his parents had been actually campaigning for looser regulations regarding the worshiping of talos, allowing for peaceful negociations with the Stormcloaks, but they were killed.

why? because the Thalmor WANT the Stormcloaks to be fighting the Imperials because the more Nords that kill each other means the weaker their standing army will be and anyone who rejects the Thalmor as the highest authority will be killed in the ensuing war. Plus its easy to assassinate delegates who disagree with them by disguising it as either an imperial or stormcloak attack.

Bathawk, after uncovering the truth, desides to train to become the bathawk, a symbol of the darkness that is the Thalmor Embassy.

this could be the first part. (I also am a n00b at modding so i don't know how hard this is) You'd just need to make a Thalmor Follower, write some dialogue for him, and make a few Thalmor and other character NPCs to tell the story with.

actually none of that sounds either lore friendly or batman like..

want a lore friendly batman.. make an npc that is rich.. hang on solitude blue palace all day but by night hunt bandits punching them but not killing them.. make him wear a modified Nightingale armor.. and bang.. thats more batman that your idea of riding a big bat..

Gore, the point of Batman is acting outside the law because the sytem is too broken to do anything. In skyrim, everything is autonomous. Sure there are jarls you have to listen to and pay taxes, but the only form of government i see are city guards, who's job is less about protecting the citizens than it is about protecting the city and environment. Batman would have no place in Skyrim because i could do the same stuff as him, and not be even considered for an arrest. The mask would be all for show. You don't need to be rich to be batman. you don't need to wear black. You just need to have the corruption of society revealed through a beloved's death, and the drive to correct those wrongs, even if society doesn't care or actively poles against you

I fail to see how giant bats are not lore friendly. Just because it wasn't done before doesn't make i non-lore-friendly. It makes it new. Something is non-lore-friendly when it contradicts existing lore. Where does it say Giant bats CAN"T exist