Beginners guide to modding

gromulos

LOOT for Skyrim Special Edition - http://www.nexusmods...ion/mods/1918/?

This is incorrect.

I know for sure that one can use LOOT regardless what game one have installed, provided that LOOT supports the actual game in question.

In LOOT at the top there is game menu for Skyrim LE, Skyrim SE, Fallout 4 etc, so just click on that game menu and select what game one wants to sort the loadorder.

You flat out stated the link was "incorrect" then argued your point, the link CAN'T be incorrect if it's in the SSE section of mods

I use the programs for each game in their own section of Nexus so that NEW people to modding do not get confused.

Please STOP nit picking issues with me, especially in MY own thread.

I will not ask politely again.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Ok, maybe it's because I've never used mods before, but I can't make heads or tails of this.

I've downloaded the Skyrim Script Extender, plus the LOOT, WYREBASH, and TESEDIT files for Special Edition, but I can't run them.

I have no idea what I'm doing, and I really don't wanna destroy this brand new PC.

Plez hep!

Ok, maybe it's because I've never used mods before, but I can't make heads or tails of this.

I've downloaded the Skyrim Script Extender, plus the LOOT, WYREBASH, and TESEDIT files for Special Edition, but I can't run them.

I have no idea what I'm doing, and I really don't wanna destroy this brand new PC.

Plez hep!

have you installed them all as per their own individual instructions on each of their description pages?

• 4 months later...

quick question. I am new to PC modding and dont have the foggiest notion about anything. But I do have Skyrim SE through steam but nexus did not find it, it only saw it as regular skyrim. therefore I cannot access any mods for SE. Any ideas on this? Also what is Vortex? Is that something I have to DL along with Nexus mods or is that just the program it downloads through?

Skyrim (sometimes referred to as "ORim" or "OldRim" for "original Skyrim") and Skyrim SE are very similar but have a few differences. The main one that Bethesda was trying to sell is that SE runs on a 64-bit engine instead on 32-bit. The frames (images) won't drop (get choppy) as much and its "supposed" to have more mod stability. People who have played both versions say they don't see much of a difference mod wise except for the fact that you can install mods from the SE main menu. Mods reportedly run the same on either. (You can run a 32-bit game on a 64-bit PC system. A mod written specifically for 64-bit may not run on a 32-bit game however because of differences in code instructions. This should not be a problem for someone running SE.)

Skyrim Legendary Edition differs from Skyrim Special Edition in a few key areas.

1. Skyrim LE was released for the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC only. It was essentially the base game with the three main DLC’s released for it, that being Hearthfire, Dragonborn and Dawnguard.
  2. Skyrim SE was released so that the Xbox One and PS4 could have Skyrim. In addition to that, Bethesda updated the graphics which looked really nice at the time.
  3. Skyrim SE also released with mod support. Sadly, the mods were limited to 5GB and 2.5(?) GB on the PS4.
  4. SE was also later released for the Nintendo Switch, but without mod support. LE was never released for any Nintendo console unlike SE.

"Steam" provides some mods that are released through their own distribution channel. Most mods are available on other sites, such as Nexus, but those on Steam may not be available elsewhere. (It depends upon the terms of the channel.) There are separate Nexus Mods sections for Skyrim and SE. (These two sections are "hyper-linked" as indicated by the bold letters and underscore, so just clicking on them with your mouse will take you directly to them. Recommend you <right-click> and select "open in a new tab/window" so you can easily find your way back here.) When you are logged into either the Forums or the Mods section of Nexus, you are also logged into the other area. There is a Wiki site similarly organized by game section with helpful articles that requires a separate login only if you wish to contribute there. The "General modding" section of the navigation bar on the left edge has many more general topics as well.

Vortex is a "mod manager" developed by and for Nexus. (It's predecessor was "Nexus Mod Manager" (NMM) but that is no longer supported by Nexus. However, it is still available and supported as a "community project" on GitHub.) There are others, but as with most things people tend to stay with something they have become familiar with, so it is worth taking your time deciding on which you will choose. It is not required to use any "mod manager" to download mods, but Nexus makes it easy to use Vortex to do so by way of a "button" on the web pages. A "mod manager" is very helpful if you have more than half a dozen mods installed (and most people have dozens to hundreds). But to use one correctly you need to take the time to read the manual and refer back to it as necessary.

You can always (and it is sometimes necessary) download a mod "manually" as well so it is worthwhile to learn how to do so regardless. But not all managers can handle all game mod formats, and that is the basis behind the design of Vortex. For someone just starting out with PC modding, if you find a number of games on the Nexus of interest, Vortex is probably your best bet to get familiar with.

Check out my signature for links to other articles of interest to anyone new to the PC modding scene. Most things specific to one game are equally applicable to others, but some discriminating judgement is expected.

-Dubious- (standing in as proxy for gromulos)

• 5 months later...

Can you tell me what it is I'm experiencing with this mod? I'm using the Diseased System Overhaul, that adds in medicine and awesome effects for the diseases. It's one of my top favorite, must-haves. All the medicines have worked before. Suddenly, the vampirism medicine doesn't work. It won't even show up in the active effects after taking it. None of the 3 levels of vamp medicine show up. I've tried starting a new game, nothing. I've tried saving, disabling, saving, exiting, uninstalling, loading, saving, reinitializing, and then trying it- nope. I've tried redownloading it- no. I've tried shutting down all the other mods-no.

What could make a mod suddenly behave like this and even starting a new game won't fix it? I don't even know what issue this is to be able to search for a fix.

Thank you SO MUCH. Skyrim is unplayable without this mod tbh.

(Edit: Also I have it in highest priority so it's not getting overwritten, and I use MO2. And there are no incompatibilities from what I found on the mod author's description.)

Edited by Darklustre

Can you tell me what it is I'm experiencing with this mod? I'm using the Diseased System Overhaul, that adds in medicine and awesome effects for the diseases. It's one of my top favorite, must-haves. All the medicines have worked before. Suddenly, the vampirism medicine doesn't work. It won't even show up in the active effects after taking it. None of the 3 levels of vamp medicine show up. I've tried starting a new game, nothing. I've tried saving, disabling, saving, exiting, uninstalling, loading, saving, reinitializing, and then trying it- nope. I've tried redownloading it- no. I've tried shutting down all the other mods-no.

What could make a mod suddenly behave like this and even starting a new game won't fix it? I don't even know what issue this is to be able to search for a fix.

Thank you SO MUCH. Skyrim is unplayable without this mod tbh.

(Edit: Also I have it in highest priority so it's not getting overwritten, and I use MO2. And there are no incompatibilities from what I found on the mod author's description.)

I've no information about that mod as I've never used it, BUT, there is a way you can test it. IF you still have the old save game file for the play through that it ran smoothly on, I would check that with Wrye Bash and see what mods it lists under the save tab. You may be able to rebuild your new character by using the same mods that were on your old character. Of course there could be other problems you may be missing as well like a missing patch file that you forgot, a broken script in the mod that would cause what you are describing, and so on.

On a side note, if you use LOOT, Wrye Bash, and Tes 5 Edit like my mod outlines, you wouldn't even need MO2.

I've never been able to wrap my head around Bash. It seems really complicated. I do use Loot. I do have mods and dlc with deleted references and so on. But no warnings on the mod itself. I'm going to try to learn Tes Edit. But will it help this bizarre issue? There are no dependencies with this mod. And even playing with only that mod had the very same issue. So it's not a conflict. But the mod works and it should show up. I just wish I knew what could cause this. Could my game and dlc be corrupt somehow and causing parts of mods to not work? I'm having so many bizarre issues with my game. I have animals flying into the air and dropping to their deaths all over the place. When I get near water it flashes and makes a stuttering sound. Even when I'm on land and mining, I suddenly get that sound like I'm submerging. The same stutter. I've been mining and suddenly I'm hitting an anvil. Sometimes things go all purple, like they've lost their meshes (?). And at times, the graphics go really strange. It's like the screen is vibrating when I move. The whole thing just looks 'off'. Not a smooth, fluid movement, with clear graphics. That's the best I can describe it.

I've been trying to find someone else talking about these issues so I could begin to fix it. But I can't find any references. What are your thoughts?

Also Loot seems to mess up the load order more than help it. I'm always having to redo most of the mods because it puts most of them in very wrong places. It seems a pretty terrible load organizer.

Edited by Darklustre