Less horse aggro?

Raye

I know there are mods out there to make your horse essential and such, but what I really want is a mod to simply make it attract less aggro, as it's quite annoying not to mention unrealistic the way it is right now. As it stands now, the horse is a HUGE aggro magnet, no matter how much I attack whatever is attacking that damned horse, it will NOT break off it's attack, and it seems monsters, bandits etc. attack the horse before attacking me, no matter what, so I spend most of my time defending the horse. While this does keep me from getting hurt, frankly, I would rather they attacked me, I am better equipped to take care of myself, considering I am not riding the unicorn, just a regular old horse. It also seems more realistic that creatures above animal intelligence (though I have Passive Animals installed, but whatever) would target me the second I dismounted, rather than waste attacks on a horse, when I'm standing there hurling spells and swinging an axe at their head.

Open console

Select the horse

Type -> modav personality 100

press enter

Type -> modav speechcraft 100

press enter

close console

That usually solves some of it, atleast as far as things which refuse to attack anything other than your horse. The rest of it however is not solvable due to how the horse is designed.

The problem is based around the horse having a low default personality, which results in everything giving it lower disposition scores than the player, thus making them want to attack the horse more than the player. In order to get them to stop attacking the horse they need to have a lower disposition toward the player, which can take quite alot longer to achieve at later stages than your horse will survive. This problem is compounded by the fact that while you are on the horse, as far as the game is concerned, you ARE the horse. Meaning that all combat which is started while mounted will be against the horse initially instead of you. To make matters worse, while you and everything else in the world keeps getting stronger, your horse does not.

Just another one of those reasons why the horse quickly gets tossed aside in favor of just using the fast travel system or making a spell with fortify speed.

• 10 years later...

Some unrelated investigations have lead me to a theory for you to test.

I believe that enemy NPCs/creatures will target whichever possible target within their field of view that has the highest health.

You can test this by doing the following test. Open the console and enter 'player.getav health' (no quote marks). Next click on your horse and 'getav health'. Let's say that your player health showed 250 and the horse returned 300. Next with the horse refID still displayed enter 'modav health -100' (no quotes) and follow that with 'getav health' to confirm that the horse health now shows 200 (the key here is to lower your horse health to less than the player). Find a bad guy and see who is targeted first now.

A caveat ... once an NPC has engaged with a target (be it player or otherwise) they are unlikely to switch targets (not impossible in my experience, but they do tend to stay latched to the first target they hit). When you hop off your horse for the post health adjustment test make sure to be far enough away from the enemy that you can get some separation from your horse (so that they need to pick one or the other of you or your horse).

• 1 month later...