Help with Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error

Sarcasm

When playing Skyrim, I am met with this error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

...\steamapps\Skyrim\TESV.exe

Runtime Error!

The application requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

I've gone through a great odyssey to diagnose this and while I've tried many things, I still can't even specifically cross off any causes, nevermind find a solution. Here is an essay on my efforts.

On one of my saves, it happens instantly with within a second or two after loading the game. On others, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute to hit. Using hotkeys to switch between weapons and spells seems to speed up the error appearing. After removing several script heavy mods, I thought I had fixed it, but I only pushed it further back. Now it can take several minutes to hit.

I played on this save for 6 1/2 hours before I saw this error for the first time. I started getting it when I entered the walled yard within the exterior of Fort Greymoor near Whiterun. For over 6 hours before I had no runtime issues at all, with almost all that time spent in Falkreath hold. Once I reached Fort Greymoor, boom, runtime errors everywhere.

Now I've looked this up extensively and it seems most people are saying it is caused by Dawnguard.esm and a broken script in either the Arvak or Impatience of a Saint (Jiub) quests, and that completing both will stop it. Well, that didn't work for me. I completed both quests and as soon as I returned to Fort Greymoor, Runtime error. I also installed the fix on the Nexus for this issue and it did not make a difference. Also, my Runtime error message doesn't say anything about error R6025, which is what so many seem to associate with the Dawnguard broken quests. So I can only assume this is not the cause.

I tried installing several versions of C++ Redistributable, but only the 2013 versions would install. The older ones give a message saying a newer version exists, even if I uninstall 2013. I don't know what that's all about. I've installed 2013 x86 and x64 just in case - my Windows 7 is 64 bit but Skyrim is 32 bit so I tried both. Didn't matter either way, they made no difference. Inside the Skyrim folder is a VDRedist Folder with a 2010 version of x86 C++ Redistributable - after installing and repairing this, it made no difference.

Finally, I simply uninstalled C++ as thoroughly as I could. But it doesn't seem to be installed to any directory per se, because I cannot locate it on my computer. I can only use the installers to uninstall it, but it didn't work. Even with C++ uninstalled I still get a C++ error. Not to mention after uninstalling it, I *still* couldn't install the 2010 C++ Redistributable because it said I already had a newer version! I don't even.

I'm at a complete loss here. I've had this computer for almost 3 years now, and I've been playing Skyrim basically since release. I have never seen this issue before, not even when I was playing it just a couple months ago. I haven't even changed anything with my system which is what's so nonsensical to me. I have absolutely no idea what is causing this, and the error itself isn't exactly reproducible - sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes after several minutes - basically, it just happens when it feels like it. Even if I were to "fix" it I'd have no idea if I actually did, or if I will start getting it 6 hours in again.

Basically I have no idea what to do and by this point I'm just begging for help here. I've seen many issues with Skyrim that I've eventually solved, but this one is a mystery to me. I know nothing about C++ or how it works. Does anyone have any ideas?? I will be eternally grovelful for any solution to this mess, thank you.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB

16GB RAM

i5 2500K

Project ENB w/ VideoMemorySizeMb set to 4096 in enblocal.ini

Load Order:

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Wyrmstooth.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
RaceCompatibility.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
OBlHairFinal.esm
AsharaImperialOutfit.esp
Rainbows.esp
Footprints.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
CharacterMakingExtender.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
Fudou Myouou.esp
DeadlyDragons.esp
AsharaPrinceOfTheWoods.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors.esp
LadyKdCirclets.esp
No More Glowing Edges.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
RSChildren_CompleteUSKP.esp
RSChildren_PatchNEC.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
ShootingStars.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Interiors.esp
AOS.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
Pureweather.esp
IHSS.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Weathers.esp
RevampedExteriorFog.esp
AOS2_RealisticWaterTwo Patch.esp
Pureweather_AOS2 Patch.esp
zzArmormashups.esp
SkyUI.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
Dual Hand Combo Hotkeys.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
Remove Interior Fog V2 - Full Version.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors.esp
AsharaDimonizedDress.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Wyrmstooth.esp
Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp
SkyRe_SiC_Patch.esp
SkyRe_SIC Crossbowfix.esp
SmartCast_1_0.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
HN66_NAILS4ALL.esp
FS_UltimateAssortment.esp
Further Dark Dungeons for ENB.esp
Faction Crossbows.esp
MoonAndStar_MAS.esp
JKs Windhelm.esp
JKs Solitude.esp
SoS - The Dungeons-PatchRLOMajorCityInteriors.esp
Soul Gems Differ.esp
Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
fFastTravelSpeedMult_4.esp
TradeBarter.esp
WATER.esp
WWW.esp
WWW_SkyRe Patch.esp
WeaponsArmorFixes_ImmersiveWeapons_Patch.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
AOS2_GDO Patch.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
WATER DB Waves.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
WATER DG.esp
JKs Whiterun.esp
JKs Riften.esp
Inigo.esp
SoS - The Dungeons-PatchRLODungeons.esp
ScopedBows.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
JKs Markarth.esp
SkyRe_Races.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Wyrmstooth.esp
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
Svs Collection Jewelry.esp
HN66mage4vanilla.esp
SoS - The Dungeons-PatchRLODungeonLighting.esp
FNISspells.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp
USKP Patcher for RaceCompatibility.esp
AOS2_WAF Patch.esp
AOS2_SkyRe Patch.esp
Unique Unique's_Skyre Patch.esp
armored-horses.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
AzureAuraSword.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp
SkyRe_Combat.esp
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
Apocalypse - SkyRe Compatibility Patch.esp
Apocalypse - More Apocalypse.esp
Apocalypse - More Apocalypse - SkyRe Compatibility Patch.esp
Wrath Of Nature.esp
ForgottenMagic_Redone.esp
MennoHairFlowers.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
iHUD.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Pre ReProccer WAFR IA7 IW aMidianSS Content Addon Patch.esp
ASIS-Dependency.esp
ASIS.esp
ReProccer.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
Post ReProccer Fixes IA7 IW aMidianSS Content AddonPatch.esp

I don't own nor have "skyrim" but this (run-time errors everywhere) has nothing to do with the game. Though it is a message the game is /seems to be generating it's not, that message is the system telling you the data is corrupted, what ever the game engine is loading at a specified point from the hard drive, that data is corrupted. "run-time errors everywhere" is hardware failure, fragmented badly ...stored data, repetitive overlays of the same corrupted data offset side by side as you are running a 64bit system and a 32bit app. Your storage medium is at fault. not the game. the game...in this instance is acting as a tool, a tool that is telling you there is a problem with the software.

the message is from the operating system. your driving your self nut's looking in the wrong places.

not to be picky but I don't think any one even bothers to do a correct search for simple things. so I did it for you, in your message quoted above, I simpley told Firefox to search Google for that set of two words, the very first Hit it finds is exactly what I posted here about, it is a problem that is always going to take place as the systmes get older.

(https://www.google.com/search?q=Runtime+Error&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs)

now before you go any further, I can give you a heads up first before messing up your system too badly.

Let's see how well you follow directions.

1. 64bit pro means there are two operating systems loading take it that way because I am telling you I am looking at it that way.
  2. you need to do things twice to cover all basses and in a sequence to cover all assets involved with windows and old worn out hardware.
  3. the constant is the game data, locations and hex installed allocated points on the drive. scan-disk will be needed but now just yet.
  4. start pr-grams / accessories /cmd as administrator, it's a right click activation in user mode.
  5. at the command line type out attrib / s - a -s -r -h
  6. wait. have some tea or coffee cuz it's gonna be a while before it finishes.
  7. when it is done type exit. then start run msconfig.
  8. set as diagnostic start up mode, this will unload any and all unnecessarily data and allow you access to the root sectors of that hard drive boot areas. only in this mode so don't screw it up.
  9. repeat the exact proceedure as above, but this time it's in safe mode and there won't be any indexing taking place, the indexes we created were tagged in normal user mode, we did that so the data has all been pre marked.....now , and interesting observation..what tools have you recent seen the term "set as marked"?
  10. well just continue untill it finisashed the attrib actions
  11. now in that command prompt your going to type this directly , NO windows UI will be involved.
  12. chkdsk /f C:
  13. Or what sever hard drive indicated that the data is running on. I will tell you now, scan disk will in fact reassign attributes as it was before removal while it is repairing the data structures during this time.
  14. when that finishes, reboot the system and cross your fingers the boot sector survived. 99% of the time (Runtime Error) is a vernal mode driver loading bad data, it resides in the boot sector.
  15. the time, you claim is variable so that indicates heat, the drive gets hot as you get more into the bad areas and the drive is over working to compensate data placements on the drive.
  16. IF it is a digital drive? you better scan for malware. cuz that will cause the escalate the same thing.
  17. finished, in safe mod UI, run msconfig, and set back to normal mode and see if the system loads any better.
  18. at this stage you need to re "defrag it", and reboot once again.
  19. clean the systems registry of incorrect and laft over junk , there will be a ton of it sitting there and nothing attached to it, its' in the way.......very much like a messy back yard full of dead leaves, you can't even see the green grass it's so deep.

ok. now if the game still exhibits this? then you need to isolate the data to another drive, there are no choices left, textures or mesh files are corrupted or have been replaced by scan-disk to a system readable point, but not necessarily a n game engine point.

let me know how it goes.

kitty.

Alright well, that's even more extensive then I was expecting. Thanks for taking the time for this writeup.

To be honest I'm not too experienced in handling sensitive parts of the OS like the registry. I'd need a lot more details than something like "clean the registry" - how do I do that? This also seems like a buckshot approach that could do more harm than good ("cross your fingers the boot sector survived" ?!) I would need precise instructions to attempt something like this. For instance, I'm not sure what you mean by "attrib / s - a -s -r -h" Is this an abbreviation for something? Because when I type that exactly in cmd is says "Parameter format not correct - " I have an SSD too, so defrag wouldn't do anything but stress the drive and reduce its lifespan as far as I know, they aren't supposed to be defragged.

I would try this if I knew exactly what to do with very precise steps, but there's too much that I'm not sure on there. I'd rather not erase my boot sector and be unable to come back here for help.

I'm curious, if I were to just reformat my SSD, do you think there is a good chance that could fix this? I'm due for a reformat anyway, I try to do them at least twice a year.

clean the registry" - how do I do that?

you will need to down load uni-blue registry cleaner, it was first invented by a solder in the field, Army I think during the Iraqi war a while back, sense then it has been turned over to another company, sort of improved but at least it does the job .

"attrib / s - a -s -r -h"

windows assign attributes to all files on the hard drive, it's used as locators, and isolate system read only and permission set's. Basic the attributes prevent user editing. but you need to fix a hard drive that is failing, these files need to be accessed by the user.

nothing is automatic in windows when it comes to repairs until it's too late.

it's not a buck shot approach if you know what it does, this is dos 101, windows 3.0, and it is source code instructions for windows.

/ s < means system wides "all files and sub-directories"

if you want more info "cmd help and read the listed dos instructions.

anytime your n a command prompt on any windows system, most of the old dos22 still applies, dos 5.0 is source code for windows....all platforms, the source codes were released to the public this year on the open networks by them.

defrag applies to all mediums, who told you other wise?

ok first , a quick tuteral for you.

start run cmd

type attrib /? an hit enter. that will instruct / inform you I am not talking Bull.

it is attrib space forward slash question mark then enter .

• + set an attribute
  • - removes and attribute
  • R read only file attribute
  • A archive file attribute
  • S system file attribute
  • H Hidden file attribute <---AKA Bethesda software's and any darn malwares currently locked.
  • I < for which I did not post because you r running 64bit and I gets removed on the second run and not the first. you can not remove I attribute in UI standard mode, safe mode only. I stands for indexing.
  • /S Process matching files in the current folder and all sub folders
  • with that switch you can add a space and addition commands to the string too. if you want to clear the Folder attributes as well...some folders do not get cleared unless you specify to do that.
  • /D process folders as well.
  • now this next one, you had better know what your doing because it effect the registry entries directly.
  • /L Work on the attributes of the symbolic Link verses the target of the symbolic Link. < this you need to specify the Entire links data string and format you wish to change.

the above is what you should see, it's simple. I know, your concerned and you should be, but I am not here to misdirect you in any way.

your playing with a game that was designed and built way before any technology you are using was even thought of.

Apples and oranges are a mixed fruit basket.

I make wine. like a sip? that's a tech Joke...linux to be precise. Edlin not edit.

sumo como.

any way's...IF the data is corrupted, and can get corrupted on a SSD piece of hard ware, then that only means you have no clue as to what you own. there is no moving parts. It's static, though static, the data is still distributes and sorted in the very same fashion, overwrites are that. just overwrites, a big fat jumbled up mess, you need to defrag even a SSD too.

My fingers are getting numb here.

I would try this if I knew exactly what to do with very precise steps, but there's too much that I'm not sure on there. I'd rather not erase my boot sector and be unable to come back here for help.

I'm curious, if I were to just reformat my SSD, do you think there is a good chance that could fix this? I'm due for a reformat anyway, I try to do them at least twice a year.

Huh? are you aware that that question / statement is counter to each other?

But. in a dos prompt, or if you need more information and want to learn more, all the info is Embeded in the very operating system you currently posses. accessing the information requires only a little bit of reading on your part. don't do anything your not comfortable with, especially if you doubt me? I have no idea what your running or the conditions that exist there.

At the command prompt sir, type the word help I'll wait here a bit and see what you have to say after reading a little.

Please make your self comfortable and at ease. there are ace techs and there are nut Job's. I am always holding a winning hand so I am ok with doubts from others. It is expected, or I would not be here wasting my time.

if some one asks for help and you can provide it and want to help, then do so with caution.

If you feel that your not qualified to handle it, screen shot the data posted and print it out "First" so you will have the knowledge on paper. My signature states quite clearly the arrangements that are set here.

if that is disagreeable then were are done. if that is agreeable I can help you.

you always have the choice.

kitty.

Hmm okay, I'll need to study these posts after some sleep and decide what to do. Many parts of it still concern me, such as accessing the registry and and playing around in cmd since I will admit I'm not very good at either. The defrag part also makes me cringe a bit, SSDs are definitely not supposed to be defragged since they wear down every time they are write accessed, and defragmentation is basically thousands to tens of thousands of small write accesses which will significantly reduce the life of an SSD for no gain, as defragging is designed for disc drives and SSDs have no discs to get fragmented in the first place. Unless you're talking about something else when you say defrag?

So I guess my main question now is, would wiping my drive with a reformat and reinstalling Windows render all this moot and maybe solve the Runtime issue? It seems like most of what you mentioned would be handled by a reformat - malware would be wiped, and the registry and whatnot would all be reset.

In your original post you said that the runtime error itself results from corrupted data on the hard drive, so wouldn't reformatting the hard drive wipe any corrupted data and maybe fix this? Honestly I've been looking for a reason to reformat lately and I wouldn't mind getting a fresh start if it has a good chance of getting rid of these issues.

In your original post you said that the runtime error itself results from corrupted data on the hard drive, so wouldn't reformatting the hard drive wipe any corrupted data and maybe fix this? Honestly I've been looking for a reason to reformat lately and I wouldn't mind getting a fresh start if it has a good chance of getting rid of these issues.

Saturday, and I just woke up. I was really tired early this morning.

to the above. yes and no. If you are going to be using the same mods, possibilities are that the mods them selves contain the corruption so...wiping the slate will only band-aid the process.

If a mod package contains corrupted data, data made in such a way that is is not compatible with your current system, then the format would be a waste of time.

On the other hand.....if your considering a re-format ? then the processes I have posted about can be considered a search and destroy mission, scan disk will in fact log all bad data found, it will recover bad data and give you at least a knowledgeable list of what was bad in the first place.

with that in hand, you get an upper hand and now have a legit reason to format the drive, start over with "for knowledge of what NOT to instal".

textures made badly, compatible mesh files, or just plain bad files.....you need a system wide witch hunt to find what you could not find.

Thus we are back to the OP......if all was exhausted by your self and you needed a further helping hand, then the conversation was beificial and you have some thing more for use.

Just trying to teach you to think outside of that box.

never take ethnological pr ogres a a thing written in stone, because it's not, nothing is concrete. Too much faith has been placed on the SSD tech, and as you say, has a problem with a normal routine. Sorry, fragmentation is part of the windows game, there is no way of getting around that.

the only other way I know to track down the bad data is to isolate the programs that bring up the errors. if it is only the game that produces these errors ? then you need to divide and conquer the approach to the problem.

My post was backed up with Microsoft in tow, hun, that link was for you to verify what I said or say.

I use flash drives for some OS operations, that is the same thing as SSD, Kingston 64gig. the size of a small cigarette lighter, fits in my pocked or down my bra .the point is, I have a box chuck full of these so the tech I am very much familiar with.

MS produces Boot-able SSD / Flash drive with Zune, the ISO community / linux distros also use these formats.

it is your choice to take the path you deem reasonable that your going to be conformable with.

Me. I just go down and buy another drive and store the bugs here on what ever starts to cause problems.

It cost me 1/4 tank of gas "petrol" worth to obtain a emplacement, 20 minutes of my time to get back up and running with any system I need. For gaming , you can use Tanni42's Mod organizer to desperate and debug your mod's with.

it's is a steep learning curve but I believe it's worth your time to invest in it.

I have been taught NOT to put all my eggs into one basket. that kind of thinking is good advice. IF you require a format? then whats corrupting the drive in the first place? how are you going to know that what?

here, this thread hands on ....one on one is how. don't waste the opportunity to discover the what. you have nothing to lose if your look for that excuse, only gain in the knowledge of what was the source.

kitty

To verify that you and I fully understand I understand what your bugs might be.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000380.htm

this page has a complete listed lay out of what the error can stand for. The flow chart is what goes through my mind when I see posts like yours.

Of these, there are repetitive errors common that we are aware of that commonly take place here, a sorted out list of bugs known to mod authors and web sit Gurus.

these are NOT to be ignored in the place of a piece of technology. you can not place that much faith in ssd's. it's only a storage medium that's newer in design and it is in it's infancy in the market place. I read a lot about failures, compatibility problems with hardware mismatches.

I don't believe i can provide anything further for you. it's all up to you to act on it.

Good luck with the game.

kitty

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I had this problem. Spent all afternoon trying to figure it out and reinstalling various progs. I launch my game via SKSE shortcut on desktop. Sorted it, by right clicking on the shortcut and running it as an administrator.