Uploading my modifications of other people mods

Osuirof

So I've tweaked some other people mods (made night vision brighter; changed sex, looks of some NPCs; made FOOK compatible, and further improved an Outcast Collection Agent mod, etc.).
Can I post them (just my changes, not their whole mod with my changes) on Nexus ? Are there some conditions ? Like I must ask author for permission ?

From the Terms of Service (link in the top-tight of every page):

o All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

o Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.

So if you want to use someone else's materials in your work, you must have permission from them.

(And note that the "provide appropriate credit" part comes after the "obtained in advance" part!)

Also, when you go to upload any files here you must declare the following:

I testify that all the content in the files I am going to upload are my own or are used with the express permission of the original creators of the files I have used and I have properly credited the original creators in my ReadMe, and in the mod description or in the "Credits" text area of the "Distribution permission" section of this page. I understand and accept that I will be banned from this site if I am found to be lying about this.

So if you want to use someone else's materials in your work, you must have permission from them.

Not really. But I need their permission if I want to make my modification public :smile:

So are you telling me, that all those compatibility patches, or, for example, FOOK 2 Level Up Freeze Fix, are made that way ?

Also, do you have some contact info for accounts that were deleted, banned, self banned ?

(And note that the "provide appropriate credit" part comes after the "obtained in advance" part!)

What if author noted that you can do anything with it. Do I need his "personal" permission too ?

What if author noted that you can do anything with it. Do I need his "personal" permission too ?

Many resources, and some mods, have a clause in the description and/or Readme that states something along the lines of "You can do whatever you want with this. All I ask is that you give appropriate credit if you distribute any part of this mod."

If this clause, or one similar, is not in the description(s) and/or readme(s) of the mod(s) you've altered, then you'll need the permission of the original author(s). Otherwise it's a no-go.

Thank you, The_Vyper, but I want a "ruling" from someone from the staff.

O.K., I'll try to make this as simple as I can.
There's this mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/14351
Somewhat buggy, and unfinished, but awesome nonetheless. But it's missing one crucial (at least for me) feature - No conversion, content only.
So I've tried to fix that by copying Imperial Guard weapons and armor entries (and things they need to work, like Armor Addon, or Textures, but no actual textures, models, icons, etc., just entries pointing to that Customizable Conversion), to a new .esp., putting those items into containers, and those containers in a sort-of obvious location.
Beside some editing of repair lists, it's almost 1:1 non-conversion copy of what's in that mod. I did also some tweaking, for my own personal use. I don't want to post it as: "Advanced arms, and armor" and claim: "it's mine, my own", or something like that.

So my questions are:
1. Can I post my almost 1:1 non-conversion copy ?
2. Can I post my tweaks for that copy ?
3. Can I post a NV port of it ?

On the file page is a button labeled "Perms". Left click on the button and read the results. Since the permissions were posted by the mod author, this will answer your questions better than any moderator can.

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be so much bans, and self bans. But let's not be empty-worded:

Other user's assets

Some assets in this file belong to other authors. You will need to seek permission from these authors before you can use their assets

Do you know which to assets, and which authors this refers to (you can leave out JQ) ?

On the file page is a button labeled "Perms". Left click on the button and read the results. Since the permissions were posted by the mod author, this will answer your questions better than any moderator can.

If it was that simple, there wouldn't be so much bans, and self bans. But let's not be empty-worded:

Other user's assets

Some assets in this file belong to other authors. You will need to seek permission from these authors before you can use their assets

Do you know which to assets, and which authors this refers to (you can leave out JQ) ?

Again "On the file page is a button labeled "Perms". Left click on the button and read the results. Since the permissions were posted by the mod author, this will answer your questions better than any moderator can."

If you read the entire dropdown, you too can find these things.

I did read it, hence that quote from the top of it, but it looks like you didn't. Just like my posts...

But let's make this simple:

Bolt Pistols and Plasma Weapons by ObiWan, adapted to Fallout 3 by EdCase

[...]

40k Las Gun by Darkmagi

[...]

Tyranids, Space Marine Scout armors, Eldar armors, Orks and Ork weapons and Imperial Guard armors and weapons by Andersh

[...]

Inquisitor and commissar items by Myerz

Bolt pistols, and some of plasma weapons too, are IG weapons.

Lasguns are sort of iconic IG weapons, mockingly refereed to as "flashlights".

Commissars are Imperial Guard too (equivalent of real life NKVD Commissar from Soviet Red Army).

etc.

So which items, are which\who do I need to ask for permission ?

I did read it, hence that quote from the top of it, but it looks like you didn't. Just like my posts...

But let's make this simple:

Bolt Pistols and Plasma Weapons by ObiWan, adapted to Fallout 3 by EdCase

[...]

40k Las Gun by Darkmagi

[...]

Tyranids, Space Marine Scout armors, Eldar armors, Orks and Ork weapons and Imperial Guard armors and weapons by Andersh

[...]

Inquisitor and commissar items by Myerz

Bolt pistols, and some of plasma weapons too, are IG weapons.

Lasguns are sort of iconic IG weapons, mockingly refereed to as "flashlights".

Commissars are Imperial Guard too (equivalent of real life NKVD Commissar from Soviet Red Army).

etc.

Any and all data you use, thee are no exceptions. There is no in between and or "but's", If the data is ported data from another game? then you do need to speak with the authors and moderation teams here to make sure all data is exceptionable.

If you need the file to be inspected? have a moderator inspect it to clarify if or any data you have intents of using are in accordance with in the rules here.

so many ways to words things and the simple thing here is, you were already told.

Good luck with this one.

Kitty. B.