Could not find the Dragon Age Disk(after installing Awakening)

manlyMAN0890

I have owned and played this game a long time ago. I was getting back into it recently. I reinstalled the original game, got the dlcs from my user entitlements(I resent them using that word, just another kick to the face), and my nexus mods(all of which I installed correctly, very little that can go wrong here).

I had to go chat with customer support to get the Awakening expansion again, downloaded that fine. After installing Awakening, I get the titular message, "could not find the dragon age disk. Please insert the disk and try again."

Two other threads have been started requesting assistance with this problem, but my circumstances differ slightly. The first thread, started by the user alvintanasta, asked for assistance after a patch update. I had already updated my game to 1.05 before installing Awakening. The second thread, started by the user nurosis, was for an entirely different problem. He uninstalled all mods and updated to 1.05 and then got the same message as me, and he also has Awakening installed. The solution suggested to both people having trouble was to dump the Steam install for the Origin install(the fact that this solution was suggested or worked is an issue all of its own).

I own a physical copy of Origins, installed with dlc and Awakening digitally via Origin client. I have had no trouble starting up the game with mods and the 1.05 patch. I only had trouble with the crash and the message after the Awakening expansion was installed. I updated the game with the patch for Awakening, but the problem persists.

I will list my specs here.

RAM: 4GB

CPU: AMD A6-3670 APU

Video: AMD Radeon 6700

Install method: Origins, CD; Awakening, digital via Origin client

Hmmmm... I own, and have installed, (sequentially, not concurrently) both the retail disc versions of DAO, DAA, DA/UE, and DA2, and the EA/Origin digital download versions of same. With all (yes, ALL) the DLC.

Never had the problem you're describing. In my experience, when I only had the disc version, I could launch either DAO or DAA with either the DAO or the DAA disc in the drive. It did have to be the same drive (letter) as used for the install.

But not liking to have to dig out the disc every time I wanted to play was one of the reasons I went for the downloaded version in the first place.

Have you tried a full un-/re-install?

Yes. I also posted my problem to the EA answers forum, and they responded with the same solution, just digital install the original game from Origin. So I did that and got my problem fixed.

Headaches like this could be avoided if, y'know, they actually fixed them. I mean I know I don't need the CD anymore, but I should have had to uninistall the entire CD install and reinstall via digital just to work around their oversight. Besides, the CD install is 5 minutes. I had to keep myself busy for 5 hours. Is 400-600 kb/s slow? After that, kinda feels like it is.