Some people don't apreciate the old games

caterpie

It kinda ticks me off when people say " I don't play games with bad graphics" and don't even consider the actual game! Like morrowind or daggerfall, I keep seeing people bellyache and moan about how ugly the graphics are and claim that it is unplayable. I went from oblivion to daggerfall without any complaints about the graphics, in fact, I think they are not so bad, at least you can see a person standing there. I bet other games are being treated like this as well.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree.

If you like turn-based games, take a look at Dominions 3. One of my favorite ever turn-based fantasy wargames and the graphics are certainly not that hot. But it's such a great game who cares? Some of my C64 games can still entertain even today. Jumpman, Archon, Bruce Lee, and the incredibly fun M.U.L.E. are timeless. Yes, the graphics are poor by today's standards but if a game is enjoyable it's worth playing.

Hell yeah, that C64 Bruce Lee game is great. :biggrin:

Many games are hit by this though. Fortunately this attitude seems mainly prevalent in younger games. As they mature they realize graphics ain't everything, and maybe, just maybe, System Shock might actually be a much better game than BioShock 2.

Sometimes the poorer graphics actually even add to the game. My favorite example of this is Diablo. Diablo had fairly low-res (even for the time, IIRC) graphics and had a distinct grainy look. Much of the game was also pretty dark. To me, this actually added to the gritty, foreboding, suspenseful atmosphere of the game. Combined with the other elements like music, and the fact you couldn't just outrun anything, it was a masterpiece. And then they threw it all away in the so-called sequel in favor of bright and cheery cartoony graphics. Why? WHY?! Argh. :wallbash: Ironically enough it was the inverse of that that ruined Doom 3 for me. id took out everything that made Doom DOOM and flipped it around into something else. What a major disappointment that was.

Never understood why people get so hung up about graphics, but then again I've been playing games for over 20 years.

I've always said graphics don't make a game, but try telling that to some people and look at the way they look at you.

Speaking of older (poorer) graphics adding to a game, I get the same feeling with the original Silent Hill upto SH3. Not quite being able to see something perfectly can really add to the atmosphere.

heh, im 15 and I still prefer Mario Brothers to MW2, and Morrowind to Oblivion, and Diablo is fantastic, in fact i got the game recently because I heard it was good, and the graphics were much better than I had expected! I also play a little of a game called Battlezone 2, freaking great, horrible graphics, mods out the wazoo.

Sometimes I can understand people not wanting to play old games, though. Not purely from a graphical point of view, but considering gameplay mechanics as well. Certain gameplay mechanics that were revolutionary when they came out have been perfected or replaced by better things now, and often going back to playing an old game when being used to the gameplay newer games make available can be quite a challenge.

It kinda ticks me off when people say " I don't play games with bad graphics" and don't even consider the actual game! Like morrowind or daggerfall, I keep seeing people bellyache and moan about how ugly the graphics are and claim that it is unplayable. I went from oblivion to daggerfall without any complaints about the graphics, in fact, I think they are not so bad, at least you can see a person standing there. I bet other games are being treated like this as well.

I find most of the "youth" of today you find on the internet have no clue about gaming and the classics, double so when it comes to RPGs.

They run their mouths about what is and isnt a RPG based on their own personal "limited" exposure and tell you "things changes and you have to get with times" and junk like that!

Drives me right batty, why do things suddenly have to change for these ADD inflicted people? RPGs have remained prettyy much static for the 4.5 decades I been alive and from what I know about table top RPGs, they remained solid in their roots for century plus.

Oh sure the art might get better (table top or computer) but the standard functions all stay the same. The priorities remain the same. But now cause some 20 something kid (appoligies to those this doesnt apply to) has no patience to read anymore, games have to get dumbed down and traditional RPG elements have to be removed?

I SAY POPPYCOCK!

The RPG crowd stays stronger today then ever before and it doesnt have to "change" to attract new customers that cant be bothered to read a sentance or role play a relationship beyond hack and slash and shoot everything that moves.

I was actually pretty down recently after reading what Bioware is turning DA2 into as DA:O was a throwback totraditional RPGs. They already ruined Mass Effect franchise by removing all the standard RPG elements and now they doing it again to Dragon Age franchise, all for this mystical mainstream majority we keep hearing about (but Bioware sales sure dont reflect in ME2).

Then I found The Witcher and my mood was raised up some. Finally a game that holds true to RPG standards and best of all its made for adults, not kids like ME2 and (hate to say it) DA:O. Finally a company gets it that showing a breast while 2 characters make love will not rot the players moral fibre and the game doesnt have to be all about combat.

The game was so good I went out and bought the books that inspired the game and they to are excellent!

Anyways, OP totally right, kids today do not appreciate (or even understand) the old games and how fun they were with out ground breaking cinematics and what not.

My favorite sports game to this day remains World Games for the C64 followed by Caveman-Ug-Lympics for the C64. Id gladly take those two games over the modern day sports games still. Cause those games were fun. Not overly complicated, ok to look at but nothing ground breaking, just well made games that delivered what they suppose to.

For RPGs, old gold Box games still hold a solid placing in my top 10 RPG list. New gamers can have their Fallouts and Oblivions, and what not. Ill take the gold box games over those titles any day and twice on Sunday!

It broke my heart when they Nerfed the Mass Effect RPG elements, now its like halo with a skill system that doesnt effect you in any meaningful way, the gunplay is much better, but is that really worth it? And it also was a disappointment when I played Borderlands and found that the advancement was so linear, heck only one combination of skills really seemed good on any of the classes, originally you were gonna get to increase stats like jumpheight, runspeed, etc, and there were gonna be just as many armors as weapons. Freaking ridiculous, Im a member of the "shoot it all, screw depth and meaning!" generation, but I completely hate the mentality.

Just a point on the issue of graphics in particular, though, and in defence of the better graphics, to say why some folk like reasonable graphics. Bear in mind I am not a kid with the attention span of a gnat btw...

When you have spent all day at a terminal at work, coupled with the fact that you no longer have the eyes of a hawk and your gaming time is limited, the very old games with poor graphics can be a real trial to look at and play. I loaded up Baldur's Gate...and unloaded it straight away as it gave me headache trying to see what was what on the screen. I also don't like games where everything is extremely dark or grainy, by all means dungeons should be dark and dank and have beasties that go "Booooo!" and leap out and kill you, but please, not gloom all the time!

Having said this, when I say decent graphics, I do not necessarily mean that they have to be up to the standard of Crysis, for example (a game I never rated as some others did.) My rig can handle anything out there ATM and I have FO3 on Ultra High, to quote but one, but I can still appreciate Morrowind (modded, it can look stunning anyway), whereas I couldn't abide Bioshock. Love The Witcher as well.

To me, blinding graphics certainly can't compensate for lack of storyline, a poor gaming experience and general bugginess.