Some people don't apreciate the old games

caterpie

I love old games and could care less about graphics for the most part, which is a good thing because I have alow end labtop that cant play a lot of games on high, so I end up playing a lot of games like arcanum, fallout 1 and 2, planescape, age of magic and others like it.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some games still look pretty good especially with wide screen mods but the ones that used 3D graphics and not painted environments tend to age badly. It's a pity because some of the old games have much to offer to demanding gamers. I still love the look of Fallout and most Infinity Engine games as I don't feel they look that bad. I used to love Might and Magic VI the Mandate of Heaven and I still love the gameplay but I have a hard time playing this game because of the graphics.

I can understand players who won't play a game because of the graphics. The idea of spending dozens of hours looking at pixellated screens does not sound very appealling. I personally love playing Arcanum but I don't play it because of the way it looks (although I love the art direction) and I understand that many players can be turned off by the graphics... It's a pity because this game is an amazing CRPG that no modern game can be compared to.

• 1 month later...
When I saw my 10 year old nephew playing some atari/nintendo games when he had access to Wii/PS3/360, it made me think the younger generation isn't without hope. Even a 10 year old knows there is something the old school games had that many of the newer games don't. I had a whole box full of nintendo games I loaned to my little nephew and he actually plays the games. He particularly likes the Megaman games. When he is done with atari/nintendo, I got a megadrive and SNES with a box of games I'll loan him. Most of the ones who complain about graphics as an excuse just don't like trying new things, and are being rather shallow. I kept all my older systems/games and got no plans on selling them. I doubt they are worth any money due to emulation being so popular. But I'm not against emulation, it forever preserves those games to be enjoyed for future generations, long after the systems and cartridge batteries have expired. Edited by Beriallord

• 4 weeks later...

When I play a game, the absolute priority is the gameplay, and the sheer fun of the experience. There have been many a gem, that gets overlooked because it looks unattractive or dated. I grew up playing The Elite, a space trading game with wire-frame spaceships, nowadays it would be called graphically challenged, but play it and realise it was a fabulous game.

However, my personal heaven, is when an older (and poorer graphically) game is remade in it's entirety, with more cutting edge graphics. The example I think shows that best is Serious Sam:The First Encounter, which I believe was released in about 2001, and was a fun first person shooter, with the sort of tongue in cheek elements, that made it a classic. Well there is now also Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter, the exact same game, but prettier. Love it. Oblivion would be another good example, unmodded it's a bit ugly and not massively impressive, mod it a bit and suddenly it's the same game with bells and whistles. If Bethesda ever released Oblivion HD, same game (although hopefully patched to remove those annoying little bugs) but prettier, I'd buy it without a moments hesitation.