Some people don't apreciate the old games

caterpie

yeah, coming from a home where my brother was involved in music all his life, I dont get this whole Guitar hero thing. As you said, learn to play the real guitar, much bigger pay off.

Tho when it comes to drums im sure there are millions of happy parents with the fake drum sets.

Talking about old Gold Box games, what I miss most from those games is having th THINK your way outta stuff, even if just combat. You didnt have endless fireballs, endless mana, special attacks that kill 100 enemies!

You had to think, manuver, counter attack, delay

I LOVED the old gold box games for that! Its what got me addicted to Never Winter Nights on AOL for a couple years before all the UOs and EQs and what not came out.

Now its just react react react! Where is the thinking part?

closest thing ive found to old AD&D games are Dragon Age Origins and The Witcher! The Witcher 2 (see my sig) looks amazing

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

And learning the real electric guitar is much more rewarding. What would you rather do? leave a computer awestruck by your ability to mash buttons o9n a guitar shaped PS3 controller? Or leave your freinds and family awestruck in years time with your ability to play real music?

I choose the latter. Likewise for me playing Need For Speed is all well and good but it doesnt make you Rubens Barichello. Just some college kid who has Fast N Furious ambitions. No, I went out and got myself a helmet, a battered old Mitsubishi Starion, some skills in car maintainance and a track day permit. This means that while I may be driving a battered and war scarred old Starrion that cost less than a new WII rather than some laughably ugly little Lancer or otherwise, the diference is that I have REAL driving skills, I race on a real race track, and I've got two very very real third and second place trophies on the wall.

Because the best that can come from playing racing games is a wrist strain. By going out, getting a racer's licence, and actualy going to Track Days, you'll make REAL friends, tune real cars, and stand on a REAL podium, not stare at a menu screen with "you're winner" on it. Sure it's nowhere near as fast or glamourous. I've got a weatherbeaten 1992 Mitsu Starrion turbo and a 1976 Falcon GT I'm rebuilding but they're actual honest to goodness sports cars. And I actualy have done pretty well in races on planet real world, and though video games are enormous fun, you dont know what triumph feels like till you've podiumed your first track day. It may be an event for locals at a track nobody outside the country has heard of, but it's a real win and it's down to your real driving, and that feels good, damn good.

it isnt even expensive. A common excuse is "I could never afford it"-unlike NFS, you dont need a Porche or a Zonda to win track days, you're allowed to bring whatever you want as long as it's roadworthy. I buy my cars used for ~500$ USD and just replace em when the systems fail. Video games are a hobby, but they should never be second to pursuing a hobby n the real world. If you like playing the guitar, buy a real one, if you like fast cars, go to an adanced driving course and buy a junker, track days await, if you like sport, join a PCYC. Yes, Video game smay be a fun hobby, but we should never forget just how fun real activity can also be. I took up archery after playing Morrowind-it keeps me fit and it's a lot of fun.

As much as I like graphics, there is nothing better than a good old classic game. People these days are so obsessed with it that they forget the other things such as game mechanic and story. Just the other day I had a confrontation with another person because he liked ME2 more in his words..."the chicks are better looking". As a woman that disgusts me and it is sad to see people worshiping graphics and being sucked into the devs money making sap.

Since I'm speaking about BioWare lets bring another example, Dragon Age 2. Now I read at least six gaming sites (I think it is more like twelve but I don't really remember), from the great to the flimsy and while they say the game play was the same for PC they all complain about the graphics. It is completely ridiculous that people expect games to have "super, hot-rod" graphics without concern about other elements such as mechs. To see gaming sites talking more about graphics rather the all important mechs is really saddening as the other elements are not there anymore.

With that being said old games have character and while there is nothing wrong with the latest batch of games, old games have the memories of a simpler time, where games were all about the best mechs and limited graphics. People should appreciate the past a little more.

not a great example Broken!

The "new" Dragon Age Graphics are the OLD 1980 Dark Sun graphics almost to a tee!

I like the Dark Sun Campaign World, im NOT a fan of its graphics however (all earth tone and bland)

Dragon Age Origins wasnt top of line graphics (I liked them personally) but they were like a 6, the new stuff is a 3

While I dont put alot of focus on graphics, I think its a legit complaint to point out when a franchise graphics get worse, not better over all! And thats all those mags and web sites have done (I have read all the reveiws as well)

Commenting on a downgrade is not the same as focusing on a aspect IMO!

PS: (off topic and dont freak out) There was a german reveiw recently (coming outta Gamescon im Cologne) that pretty much said DA2 was ME2 fantasy version. I saw it via link on the Bioware boards 2 days ago but cant find it anywhere now. I know you look up alot of these articles, you have a link to this article (German gaming site (had to read the yahoo translation)). I have a Austrian freind that wants to read the article and as I said, I cant find the link anywhere now.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Let me tell you guys a story.....

I remember one afternoon I was in a GameStop and there was a father/son duo looking through the games. Dad looked like he was right about my age (which was around 35 or so at the time) and he was pretty much following junior around.

All the sudden Dad stops, his eyes light up, and he picks up a game case - "Midway Arcade Treasures". I knew what he was thinking, all the games he used to play when he was his son's age were all right there. Games like "Spy Hunter", "Defender", "Road Blasters", "Rampage", "Joust", and all that good stuff! Looking at his face, I knew he had just taken off down Memory Lane and was remembering all the times he and his buddies skipped school to go play games at the local arcade or convienience store.

And then Junior cut in....

"Da-ad! Those are old graphics!". His dad looked a little hurt by this and that's where I jumped in and asked, "What's wrong kid? Scared you're gonna get a game that your dad can smoke you in?". The kid was stunned: BULLSEYE! o_O Dad was amused, and I added, "Kid, when your dad and I were your age, those "old graphics" were new graphics, and we glad for it. This was back in the day, back when you had to have mad skills to play some of these games." I looked at his dad and asked him, "Let me guess..."Galaga", right?" Dad looks at me and gives a hearty, "Hell yeah!". I pointed to myself and replied, "I'm a "Battlezone" man myself.", I thumb toward the self and tell him,"You'd be looking for the 'Namco Museum' it's on there with 'Pac-Man' and 'Dig-Dug' - you can score that one and the other for $40, total.". The kid was mortified, but that's what they got and I just became this guy's hero.

I hope that when they got the games home, the kid got to discover the joy of those "old graphics". I think it'd be kind nice for him to be talking to his own son someday and telling him, "Son, graphics aren't that important." and then sit down and tell him about how him and his dad had the time of their lives sitting there playing those "ancient games" with those "old graphics".

not a great example Broken!

The "new" Dragon Age Graphics are the OLD 1980 Dark Sun graphics almost to a tee!

I like the Dark Sun Campaign World, im NOT a fan of its graphics however (all earth tone and bland)

Dragon Age Origins wasnt top of line graphics (I liked them personally) but they were like a 6, the new stuff is a 3

While I dont put alot of focus on graphics, I think its a legit complaint to point out when a franchise graphics get worse, not better over all! And thats all those mags and web sites have done (I have read all the reveiws as well)

Commenting on a downgrade is not the same as focusing on a aspect IMO!

PS: (off topic and dont freak out) There was a german reveiw recently (coming outta Gamescon im Cologne) that pretty much said DA2 was ME2 fantasy version. I saw it via link on the Bioware boards 2 days ago but cant find it anywhere now. I know you look up alot of these articles, you have a link to this article (German gaming site (had to read the yahoo translation)). I have a Austrian freind that wants to read the article and as I said, I cant find the link anywhere now.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

I was using three games as examples, ME2 and DA series.

LOL, cool Dark, and so true!

I think most of these youngsters would be so fustrated at first playing something like The old SSI gold box games.

Sure they would adapt when they let their mind override their "twitch", but for a day or two, there would be oh so many deaths! LOL

heh, and I was a Donkey Kong man myself!

I think it depends on the game. I like good graphics in games like Oblivion, Call of Duty, etc... but a game doesn't need great graphics to be good.

I don't play that many "old games", but Fallout 1 is one of my favorite games just because of the possibilities and stuff... you know what I mean. Those games are about as old as I'll go.

Don't get me wrong I do love today's graphics and look forward to tomorrow's, but sometime you just gotta dust off the old classics. Also, some of the newer independent games may lack state-of-the-art graphics, but they often deliver excellent gameplay. The problem is when games focus only on the graphics and not the actual gameplay.

As an example; I am a big fan of the original Unreal. Very cool game with a lot of playtime to complete. I was really looking forward to Unreal2, and made sure I got it on release day. Then I installed it, loved the look... and proceeded to beat it in only a couple of days, and this was while working 50+ hours a week including Saturdays! It was to simple and lacked depth, all at the cost of pretty graphics. The main problem with some of these games is when the developers push the graphics over all else. Older games didn't have massive teams working on them either, and so many were a labor of love instead of a labor of dollar signs.