DA:O Keeps crashing!

BetAnya

I've have DA:O for about a month now and it either freezes up or crashing completely. I am using mods but it was doing this before I started using mods so I know it isn't the mods. I really just want to know if anyone else has had or is having this problem and if they know why and how to fix it.

Here are the specs for my laptop. I know it can run the game because I run much graphic intensive games than this all the time.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/11/2014, 19:07:57
Machine name: KRISTEN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: M17xR4
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.72.24A10
Processor: Intel® Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8074MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_05511028&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO149E
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.062Hz)
Output Type: Internal

• 4 months later...

Sadly, I have a very similar issue with my game. (no mods are installed. I did download mods, but I never installed them. Mods aren't in any game-in folder, they are in Downloads folder)

First of all, I happen to have a digital version of DAO that I got for free via Origins (exact date is 10/8/2014).

The installation itself was flawless and overall gameplay was pretty decent, but it would occasionally freeze where I was forced to hit ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the Task Manager. It was as random as possible. And it would randomly crash with no specific error, only that it encountered and error and stopped working.

For awhile, I was able to cope with the part of hitting the same combo to open Task Manager which would minimize the game, shutting off task manager and maximizing the game would fix the problem.

However, recently; the freezing became more frequent; it would freeze during NPC conversation, the screen would go black, I'd see a cursor, then the screen would go grey and the game would return. It all happens in a split of a second. I've even recorded it in the act.

After searching around, I discovered that maybe I should patch the game. I've installed the 1.05 patch and now game won't even start as it says I have to reinstall it. I've reinstalled the game in vain to fix the problem with freezing, which didn't disappear and now I have to go through it once more. Plus; the patch had a problem during installation as it couldn't find the "uninstall.exe" in Bioware folder on C drive. I never install games on C drive. I install them on D drive for obvious reasons.

What's the point of having a patch when it breaks the game?

All my drivers are up to date.

I honestly thought that freezing was caused because I enabled the console thingy in the game. But nope, after reinstalling the game, I didn't enable the console and the game still froze and then it crashed.

System Information report written at: 04/04/15 06:13:21

System Name: SHINRA

[system Summary]

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1

Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name SHINRA

System Manufacturer Acer

System Model E1-510

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU E1-510_0845_V2.05

Processor Intel® Celeron® CPU N2820 @ 2.13GHz, 2129 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. V2.05, 25.12.13.

SMBIOS Version 2.7

Embedded Controller Version 0.00

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Acer

BaseBoard Model Not Available

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"

User Name SHINRA\Amaya

Time Zone Central European Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 3.89 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.74 GB

Total Virtual Memory 4.57 GB

Available Virtual Memory 2.13 GB

Page File Space 704 MB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

--

[sound Device]

Item Value

Name Realtek High Definition Audio

Manufacturer Realtek

Status OK

PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0282&SUBSYS_10250845&REV_1000\4&1C81C5AA&0&0001

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhd64.sys (6.0.1.7071, 3.52 MB (3,692,632 bytes), 10.03.14. 23:04)

Name Intel® Display Audio

Manufacturer Intel® Corporation

Status OK

PNP Device ID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2882&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&1C81C5AA&0&0201

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\intcdaud.sys (6.16.0.3129, 438.96 KB (449,496 bytes), 27.11.13. 10:41)

[Display]

Item Value

Name Intel® HD Graphics

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F31&SUBSYS_08451025&REV_0C\3&11583659&0&10

Adapter Type Intel® HD Graphics, Intel Corporation compatible

Adapter Description Intel® HD Graphics

Adapter RAM (2,141,538,304) bytes

Installed Drivers igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32

Driver Version 10.18.10.3349

INF File oem5.inf (iVLV2M_w81 section)

Color Planes Not Available

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0x90000000-0x903FFFFF

Memory Address 0x80000000-0x8FFFFFFF

I/O Port 0x00002050-0x00002057

IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967293

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys (10.18.10.3349, 4.01 MB (4,207,104 bytes), 27.11.13. 10:41)

--

Hopefully I'll be able to fix the game and play it decently like I did before. Seriously, I can't stress enough that my friend has weaker computer and doesn't have these problems and I do. Makes no sense.

--

EDIT: I've used "repair" option on Origin and game is running, but that still doesn't solve the freezing issue. :sad:

Edited by Malkblood

I'm SO not an expert on hardware so I can't speak to your setup.

That said. 'never install on the C: drive'? so where is it installed? Are you playing DAO or DA/Ultimate? Did you get 1.05 to installed?

When I originally installed DA Ultimate, there was horrendous lag (screen didn't go blank, but it would just 'stop' at various points) with the lag sometimes result in a Crash to Desktop (CTD). 1.05 helped so that there was less lag and 'crash to desktop'. I also have a computer that barely meets the requirements to play Dragon Age and the lag seemed to be worse when I had an internet connection that was active while playing.

In my case, installing 1.05 AND not logging on while in the game resolved the lag/CTD problems. I'm sure that it won't for everyone, but it did for me.

Both of the players reporting this situation are trying to play the game on machines with the integrated Intel HD Graphics adapter.

While I've heard of some people being successful with this, that GPU does NOT meet the min specs published by BioWare.

(And again, as both mcgoy and I said, installing the 1.05 patch might help.)

Both of the players reporting this situation are trying to play the game on machines with the integrated Intel HD Graphics adapter.

This is why I say up front that I don't know anything about hardware! (or firmware or whatever it is considered)

This is why I say up front that I don't know anything about hardware! (or firmware or whatever it is considered)

Yep. That's why I pointed it out. :thumbsup:

Thandal, on 04 Apr 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

While I've heard of some people being successful with this, that GPU does NOT meet the min specs published by BioWare.

I have Dragon Age:Origins. And I install my games on D drive, cause C drive is only for Windows.

Installing the said patch broke the game as it wouldn't run at all. Patch ran into an error something about uninstall.exe in binfolder, and then it broke the game so I'm forced to reinstall it again which is a long procedure.

Random freezing is slightly acceptable, but in this new walkthrough it freezes more often. That didn't happen in previous 3 walkthroughs I did. (Human noble, dwarf noble and dalish elf)

As I said; my friend has old hp laptop and that one runs the game, but it overheates and occasionally crashes. But my laptop is stronger.

Not to mention I've played other games like dmc4 and it runs perfectly.

Edited by Malkblood

Being able to play "other games" has ZERO to do with whatever is the issue for this game on your machine.

Different game engines behave differently.

That said. this is a five-year-old game that runs perfectly well on millions of machines.

You are doing something wrong. Like trying to get it to run without the adequate hardware.

Being able to play "other games" has ZERO to do with whatever is the issue for this game on your machine.

Different game engines behave differently.

That said. this is a five-year-old game that runs perfectly well on millions of machines.

You are doing something wrong. Like trying to get it to run without the adequate hardware.

About playing other games, it was a simple statement. Even Ragnarok 2 online doesn't freeze up. It occasionally lags, but for online games; that's standard.

I don't know, because I heard some people are running the game with Intel integrated gpu. Not to mention, I found dozen min and recommended specs; none stated that problem may lie in this specific gpu.

This conversation freezing began appearing on this walkthrough. It didn't appear in any other. Cutscenes work normally.

The huge lag only appeared twice in the game, in all 3 previous walkthroughs; it was the same location. When you meet Swiftrunner and when you meet Lady of the Forest.

Even the battle with archdemon and deep roads didn't lag or freeze.

I don't know why the patch broke the game. A lot of people have been complaining the patch breaks the game. It does.

I have to reinstall it...again. and face the fact that in this walkthrough the game will freeze during npc conversations.

In game settings, everything is set to medium or low, the online part is inactive. I've even turned off the overlay in origins settings. Not sure what else to do. I'll try to activate overlay again, maybe it works. Don't know.