Old-School Wizardry - Staff Mod

jumpsteadeh

I feel like there's only one thing really keeping me from playing as a mage in Skyrim: staves. I don't like how magic comes out of your hands, and staves only get certain spells. I'd rather have staves function in a different way - the different spells your equip come out of your staff, not your hand.

This could function in 2 ways:

1. You have a box of individual staves placed somewhere in the game, just with each model available (with a staves of skyrim compatability version, of course). They would basically replace your hand animation for spells.

2. All staffs are overhauled. Instead of each staff having a spell tied to it, each staff magnifies your magic in a unique way. Maybe your destruction spells become more powerful, or illusion spells cost less to cast. s*** like that.

Bonus objective: Walking animations. When a staff is unequiped, you don't put it on your back, but you walk with it like a walking stick. I believe this could be done with the "sheathed" mode of torches, with a little bit of modification.

In Skyrim, being a mage doesn't feel very magical. I don't feel like a wizard of old, with the pointy hat and trusty staff. Luckily, there's a mod for the pointy hat, but staves have a bit to go.

Here's the wizard hat mod I found http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4198/? , but it's really not the best model ever.

Edited by jumpsteadeh

Reasons why the magic coming out of your hand or not aside, I really like the second suggestion

As a mage in mine I rarely use staves so having them be a sort of upgrade to your spells seems like a really neat idea. It would give me a reason to actually use magical staves for my magic, as well as make it so prisoners and other de-geared mages would be less dangerous than a powerful necromancer you find in their lair.

I for oen am all for a mod like this, would probably make me pick up my mage again.

• 2 weeks later...