• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

lordzionleader

lordzionleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hey guys.

I recently updated to Windows 10 preview build 9879 from build 9860 in the hope that it would solve a crashing problem.

To my disappointment it continued to crash on start-up when trying to load Skyrim.

Recently I saw that they ported to Net Framework 4.5 and I tried the NMM build 0.50.1 and it works perfectly.

So I think its got something to do with either my incomplete OS or the NMM thing itself.

As I type I'm downloading heaps of installers for Net Framework 4.5 and its components so hopefully that will do the trick.

Anyway, if you have a way to solve this let me know.

Cheers.

lordzionleader

lordzionleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Installers didn't work sadly and the problem persists. I have to resort to using an old build which I don't mind but I always like to stay up to date.

The builds I'm having problems with are the ones that have ported for Net Framework 4.5. E.g. NMM 0.52.3.

Edited by lordzionleader, 19 November 2014 - 02:10 AM.

DuskDweller

DuskDweller

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,091 posts

It is very possible that this early build of Windows 10 ships with a dumbed down .Net Framework (windows 8 did it on some installs) . The only way to fix it is trying to find a way to remove the framework shipped with the OS and install the full version (you need 4.0 and 4.5).

Also before installing NMM make sure that Windows didn't block the installer (right click on the installer and then properties)

lordzionleader

lordzionleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I made sure that is wasn't Windows was blocking.

I always thought it might be the OS. Well, that teaches me for using a preview build but its worth it.

Everything is so nice on Windows 10. Anyway back to the subject.

I will probably wait until they officially release Windows 10 then I will probably get the latest NMM.

Thanks for the help :)

lordzionleader

lordzionleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hey guys. Just a few days ago I switched my PC off at the wall not knowing the PC was still on and murdered my Motherboard so I will have to get a replacement. I think I will stick with Windows 8 now but I'm lucky I still have all the saves on the hard drive. Hehe. So there's a reason why you shouldn't use dev build operating systems as your main OS.

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts

A hard power down should not hurt the MB, It can cause corruption on a hard drive if something is being written at the time. However, not using a 'dev build' on your primary computer is good advice. The purpose of a dev build (Win 10?) is to find problems and you get to be the guinea pig for MS. But even that should not cause a MB failure on power loss.

I know people that kill the power as their normal way of shutting the computer down - they do this every day with no problems. :pinch:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, skyrim, startup, windows, windows 10, windows 10 preview, preview build

Page loaded in: 1.110 seconds