Soldier Gender Probability: How to change?

ktchong

First of all, when dealing with "code" you have to be very precise. That applies to terminology and descriptions of what you did. A misplaced space or missing quotation mark can break your change. So your best bet to get a fix for your problem is to post your changed mod file (in "code" tags from the second line of the replay window).

"PatcherGUI" reads in a mod file and applies it to the game. A "mod file" may be in PatcherGUI format, but is not actually "PatcherGUI", which is a tool. You don't change "PatcherGUI" itself. You should be using either the EU or EW version of the "Solder Gender Probability" mod (as appropriate) from the "XCOM Interface and Gameplay Tweaks" mod page. They are down near the bottom of the "Files" page.

As for what to change, read the previous posts. There isn't any clearer way to say it. There is only one line that reads "ALIAS=FemaleProb:<%b25>" (without any thing else in front of it on the same line, like "// " which makes it into a non-functional comment). Change the "<%b25>" portion to "<%b100>". You should then start a new game if you want ALL female recruits. Pretty sure it doesn't affect the starting squad from the tutorial, as that seems to be a set mix of genders but I could be remembering incorrectly. (Not something I bothered with.)

And there isn't any other method or set of instructions that aren't an order of magnitude more complex.

All of the above assumes you have followed the instructions in the "Basic Guide to installing mods" article. That is essential to getting ANY mods to work There are no shortcuts: you have to do all those steps or your modded game will FAIL.

-Dubious-

I was only altering the gender ratio% bud, nothing else, nothing super complicated or tedious, which i did from 25 to 100, in the correct line as well "alias".

Yeah I used the Gender Probability mod for EU.

"As for what to change, read the previous posts. There isn't any clearer way to say it. There is only one line that reads "ALIAS=FemaleProb:<%b25>" (without any thing else in front of it on the same line, like "// " which makes it into a non-functional comment). Change the "<%b25>" portion to "<%b100>". You should then start a new game if you want ALL female recruits. Pretty sure it doesn't affect the starting squad from the tutorial, as that seems to be a set mix of genders but I could be remembering incorrectly. (Not something I bothered with.)"

I did exactly this, but as i said, my game doesn't even start, i don't see how such a small change would disable from my game even launching :/. Thought their might have been a simple response to this.

I followed all the procedures precisely, thought maybe their might have been a "Have you tried this, or maybe it's because of this". Or even if there might be a another method to simple change that value, might work out for me.

Thanks anyways :smile:

Edited by askinn

What error message are you getting when the game won't start? If the game itself doesn't spit one out, then look in the Windows "Event Viewer" in the "Windows Logs" folder, under both the "Application" and the "System" filters. See the wiki article "Troubleshooting Basics" for more.

Bear in mind that XCOM does not come with the ability to be modded. Everything done when modding is actually "hacking the code" of the game. Which is why you have to run it in "offline mode", because otherwise it sees the mod as "corrupting" the game files and restores files from the Steam server.

-Dubious-

Yes, though I am not sure if I have that particular mod installed. (Haven't played it in about 4 years, but that mod is well known to work fine without causing CTDs.) Here's the thing though. It's illegal to distribute any of the code from the game itself (such as a UPK or EXE file), because it is copyrighted. The best that could be done is to produce a "difference file", which would require both the source machine and the destination machine to have the same patch level of the game as provided by Steam. Which means you would have to revert to a vanilla install by running Steam's "verify local files" first. And the result would still require "hacking" the game code much like PatcherGUI does though with a different tool.

A "save game" file won't have the necessary changed code either.

If the game won't load after applying a mod, it usually means the game code is not compatible with the mod, in that the mod is not finding the correct location to change. That can happen because you do not have the game patched to the correct level required by the mod, or you have confused a EU or EW mod with the other version of the game, or because some other mod has changed the same area of code. Or because the game is from an "alternate source" than Steam (even if you bought a CD, it has to connect to and download from Steam), which means it is "pirated" and the hack to let the game run without contacting the Steam server throws off the locations of code assumed by mods. In that last case, according to Nexus terms of use we can't help at all, and admitting you have an "alternate source" copy will get you banned.

-Dubious-

The save file doesn't need to have the code on it, with the mod you generate the increased chance of what soldiers you want, snipers, females, etc. Then once you have that, save, so the save file has those soldiers, right?

Anyways don't worry about it man, i'm over it, thanks for trying to help anyways. I'll maybe try again some other time.

P.S I have legit version.

The save file will have the soldiers RECRUITED at that time. But any you recruit in the future (to include those presented as "Council Mission Rewards") will be based upon the default gender distribution algorithm which is in the UPK file. And "class" (like snipers) is randomly determined when your Rookies have enough experience, with an apparent bias based somewhat upon what classes you already have. Reloading at that point produces different results.

-Dubious-