Installing DAO: Awakening has failed

LittleAlBhed

I just got Dragon Age Origins: Awakening. I have DAO for a while now and it has always been working fine. But now, when I try to install Awakening, it doesn't work :wallbash: I start up set-up, accept the rules, select where the game has to go, type in serial and data starts copying. Then when it is about 25% it suddenly stops and it says that the installation has failed :wacko:

I read on the internet that you had to change your setup it's properties/compatibilty to Windows 2000 and that it would work. I tried that, but it still gives installation failed.

Has someone some advice for me?

@LittleAlBhed; Sorry you've had this problem. Installation has not generally been an issue for folk. (BTW: I NEVER recommend selecting "Windows 2000" compatibility for anything unless the publisher specifically says so.) I presume that you didn't need to do anything special when you installed DA:O?

I have heard of people resolving some issues by selecting "Win XP" compatibility for the "daorigins.exe" file, but that was for playing the game, not installing it. (I've also heard of some who have had success by using "Right-Click" and select "Run As Administrator" on the "setup.exe", to get the installation program to run at all, but in your case, you get beyond that point before the failure.)

Possible, of course, that your disc was damaged some how. That would explain the "gets to 25%" behavior... :(

Yeah, unless you're actually running win2k or the manufacturer recommends it, avoid that. win2k is one of MS's biggest screwups to date, IMO. (tho that's a long list, IMO!) Tho yeah, I've noticed even on the bioware forums that there's mention of running it in that compatibility mode. (outdated crap from BW again??)

administrator or faulty files would be my first guesses as well. Perhaps it's trying to copy/write files to a folder that it doesnt have permission to use in that fashion.

Check your disk for any kind of damage. Scratches, gouges, etc. Also make sure the disk is clean. gently wipe it down with a soft, lint-free cloth. Wipe from the center of the disk outward the edges, do NOT wipe side to side or in swirls. (that can cause scratches that will interfere with the tracks of the disk). And maybe run a dvd/cd cleaner disk thru your disk drive a couple of times to clean the lenses.

Also are you hearing any kind of strange noises from your drive? particularly when the tray opens and closes?

if this is from a downloaded copy from an authorized distributer, then perhaps try Re-downloading it, as maybe a file got corrupted in the transfer.

or heck, maybe there's a security program interfering with it. Like windows UAC or malware protection program like antivirus.

it's not a CD/DVD, it's a downloaded copy. I tried redownloading it, but that doesn't fix it :( I have most DLCs installed and they all work fine, I don't understand why this is acting so difficult.

Steam, or D2D? Steam uses a non-standard folder set-up, (at least, "non-standard" compared to the retail disc installation) so it may be looking for things in the wrong places.

How did you install the game originally?

(Don't know anything at all about using D2D...)

1) Are you logged in on the same account name as the one that was logged in when DAO was installed?

2) Which patch are you currently at?

3) Which operating system are you using?

1) Should be using the same account.

2) Found information where some users are having major issues getting it to install if they already have patch 1.03 or 1.04. Seems the installer has issues trying to overwrite those patches. Only way to remove those patches is to completely uninstall DAO and only patch up to 1.02 (which has to be done manually) and not letting the game auto update.

By completely, I mean using a program that will also delete it's registry entries. Like revo uninstaller, total uninstall, or running something like CCleaner after the uninstall, to get rid of the registry leftovers.

then that shall be the problem ... my game is patched to 1.4, because otherwise Leliana's Song doesn't work (you need to have patch 1.3 at least for it to work). I can try to re-install DAO, I just hope it won't complain, because isn't there something that you can only use the serial code a limited numbre of times?

I wanted to tell you that you were right :) I needed to re-install DAO because the patch was making Awaking-install fail. It is installed now and I want to thank all of you for the advice you have given me :thumbsup:

Excellent! Am glad to hear that you got it going! Thats great! :)

I am sorry that I wasnt able to get back to you on your questions before you did your reinstall. Yeah, the code that they sent with the cd is only good for 4 installations :mad: Im not sure if you can get a new code thru bioware or not if need be. :confused:

However, because it's installing patch 1.03 there's no worries about not having it for DSC or LS ;)

I will go ahead and give you a few tips about DAA. You've probably already started playing, so if you've transferred a character over, you may have ended up in the new land starkers. This is because the expansion blocks some of the DLC content, due to graphics incompatibilities from stuff from some of the DLCs with stuff that they recycled to use in the expansion. So armor and some weapons wont transfer over :(

You can kinda avoid this, by upgrading your stuff via a mod called The Winter Forge http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=122 Just dont RENAME any of the DLC content, or DAA wont recognize it, or any items that are named "Charactername's such and such". For instance "Joe's Effort Armor" will not be recognized by the expansion.

Just upgrade your stuff in your final save before importing it to DAA. ;)

And will also give you a tip. When you go to head for the silverite mines. Buy new armor and weapons and leave ALL your other stuff that you wont need there at the storage in the keep. There's a bug there in the mines that COULD cause you to lose ALL your regular gear! Edit- On the player character. Stuff that is on your party members is fine [/edit]

AND- if you want to make it so that your mods work in DAA as well, here's a thread about how to go about doing that ;)

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/225245-modifying-origins-custom-dlc-to-work-in-awakening/page__p__1985194__fromsearch__1#entry1985194

there's two different methods listed in that thread, if you got to reading thru it. Both of them works just as well. One of them means more work and more room for error when doing the editing, but less work in the long run. The other method is easier and less work at the doing, but more work and stuff to remember afterwards, when you want to revert it back. Which the other method doesnt require. So its personal preference, give it a full read thru before deciding. ;) And I stressed it in the thread, but will say so again.... Make a backup before starting :)

Hope that you enjoy the expansion. A lot of us were kinda disappointed with it. But after all the frustration you had getting it to install, I most definitely hope that you get some enjoyment out of it ;)

Happy gaming! :)