Help with weapon effects

EnigManic

Hi everyone. I'm working on my weapon mod and I'm stuck on something. I did an exhaustive google search and couldn't find any useful info. I could use some advice.

I've created a new grenade and I've extensively edited the mesh and texture for it, plus the explosion and projectile data. It looks pretty good but I still can't figure out how to edit the explosion animation. It's templated from the plasma grenade so it uses the same explosion animation.

When a plasma grenade explodes, it sends out green energy arcing all around. I wanna change that explosion animation from green to red but I can't figure out how to edit it in the geck.

Help please?

your asking a really tough question, One I don't really have an answer for!

You can't edit the explosions via the Geck, you'll need Nifscope and or blender. But even then looking at the inner workings of the .nif's is confusing at best! You can't even see what the look like in Nifscope. You just get some white shape. I'm not sure how Beth made there "Particle effects", I've tried to change one myself but gave up after having no luck.

Meshes for explosions can be found in 'Meshes\effects'. Not sure about where gunshot effects are... You can likely find the paths by looking through the various tabs for weapons in the GECK - at least that's where I would start.

As for editing the plasma grenade explosion's color, you could try loading it's explosion mesh into Nifskope and then opening up the various nodes inside it until you find one (or likely more) that has an NiMaterialProperty. Then look at the bottom panel and scroll down to find the Emissive color. This should be the color used for the blast effect. Edit it to the color you want, save under a new name, point your grenade's path to it in the GECK and test in-game. Repeat until you get what you want.

As a quick check, I looked at one I found titled 'PlasmaGrenadeBlast.nif'. I found three nodes with different shades of green that were used. So what I just stated MAY work. You'll have to test for yourself to verify... Good luck!

That could work. But I can't find it in the geck. If I only want to apply the effect to a custom weapon, not all plasma grenades, then I would need to make a duplicate mesh and edit it. But I need to be able to assign the modified mesh to my new custom grenade.