Player sandboxing mod

Demonbane775

So I had a thought while I was on a mission that required me to wait in a location for an NPC to appear. What if, rather than having the camera start spinning around after an allotted length of time, your courier started sandboxing about the area? You know, leaning on walls, checking their pip-boy, pacing about. And like when your camera spins, moving your mouse or tapping any key stops it.

Really would be more of a novelty feature than anything, if it could even be implemented. Would anyone be interested in giving this a shot?

I believe you can, AddScriptPackage is used with the player at times in vanilla scripts. Used to play the 'getting on your feet' animation in Doc's house for example.

Simply using it to add a generic sandbox package -might- work. Not in the mood to experiment, I got other things going on, but someone else could try it out. :)

I'm pretty new when it comes to working with the GECK, so I dunno. I'd rather leave something like this to the more experienced folk, I'd just muck it up.

Perhaps have an equipable item to start it off whenever, too, and make it broken only by tapping a key, so you can take screenshots.

Edited by Demonbane775

I have enjoyed little add-ons like this is other games when you become afk for a while, and think it would fit in with new vegas perectly. the courier could tinker with their gun, fidget around, write something down on paper, etc. I like this idea! hope someone can do something with it :)

• 2 months later...

the only thing you can do with a package is forcing an idle to play. Maybe some of the flags work too (i.e. wielding a weapon), I never tried, however the package itself won't work on you. Any package invoked on you will disable your commands, nothing more.

If you want to sandbox, I guess the only way is making something fake, like fake cutscenes, which requires a good amount of scripting and the reaction is not so immediate - at least half second / 1 second to trigger and another half second / 1 second to quit from that fake sandbox mode. In my opinion, a solution like that doesn't deserve so much.