Morrowind Graphics Extender

Guest Plugin Manager

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just leaving a quick note to say that I do check this thread, so feel free to post. :)

If anyone wants to make any bug reports, please give your graphics card and driver version, the dll you were using, any relevent MGE settings and some step by step instructions for how to reproduce the bug.

Hi, I'm Rene from Germany so excuse my bad way to explain myself in English.

I've found the MGE yesterday - downloaded and tampered all night around with it.

I love it! Thanks to the Autor.

But I've a little problem with it: I like the Distant Land Effect but I would like to have some Fog-Effect on that Distant Land so it doesn't look that weird when I walk through Balmora : I can see the hills 5 Miles away very clearly and the house just a few hundred feet away dissapears. Cant there by made something with some transparency/alpha setting to make the Distant Land look more foggy and to make those hills further away dont look so clearly?

And - by the way: Are the distant-land-files actually DirectX-Meshes?

So can I edit those with my very own Nif/DirectX-Mesh-Editor (yes, really, I've got one, written on my own, you can download it from >>>HERE<<< but works only on Morrowind-nif-Meshes.

Perhaps I could convert the larger Buildings like the Hlormaren-Castle or the Vivec-House-Islands into simplified DX-Files and add them into the Distant Land-File so I can see Hlormaren from the Hill in Balmora - and not just the naked ground thereunder? Would that be possible?

Edit:

There's a checkbox "Enable Dithering" - and I've got a Gforce 5200 FX-Card and I can see a difference if I check/uncheck this box. It looks dithered. There's just one small problem: First I checked the box: my game looked dithered as I said, fine, OK. Next try, I unchecked the Box, tested and was still dithered. Then I changed settings to MW-Defaults - that finally made the dithered look dissapear.

There are graphics card/driver dependent bugs in fogging. It works fine on ATI cards, but with your nvidea card you may have to turn fog off completely if you want to use distant land. It's supposed to look like the screenshots on the download page - in balmora none of the houses should be fogged, but at a distance of around 15 cells away everything is fogged completely. Make sure fog mode is set to depth pixel, because either of the vertex modes conflict with distant land.

The distant land textures are standard DTX1 dds textures. The cell meshes are just raw vertex data. (3 floats for the position, 3 floats for the normal, 2 floats for the texture coords. There's a grid of 65*65 verticies) The world mesh is a bit more complicated because it also contains the index buffer data and 2 ints to tell MGE how big the mesh is. It's much faster to load raw data than it is to load a .x or .nif. There's no way to add distant buildings and stuff atm, but MGE is open source, so you can add it in yourself if you like.

People mostly use nifskope for editing nifs, but you could always try posting your utility somewhere where it would get seen. Not many people will visit this thread. :)

the fog in distance works fine- thats ok. in default 15 cells away i can see fog. i tried to set it down to 1 - but the fog is too dense then- i cant see the cell i'm in- but i can see the hill-tops 2 or more cells away then. so theres no problem with my card... I guess the thingo'magic I'm looking for is to make the distant-land look more transparent or diffuse. Maybe I can fool around with those textures to get some unclear and foggy looking landscape?

Or would there be a way to place some huge fog.nif-meshes around the current cell?

and, by the way, I changed that link up there because I'm already done translating...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just leaving a quick note to say that I do check this thread, so feel free to post. :)

If anyone wants to make any bug reports, please give your graphics card and driver version, the dll you were using, any relevent MGE settings and some step by step instructions for how to reproduce the bug.

Hi... I just reinstalled Morrowind plus both expansions for the first time in a LONG time, all because I know there are all these mods out there that make the game look much better. Yours included. Im interested to know what mods you use (i.e. Better Bodies, Texture replacers... etc) and mainly what settings you are running with the MGE. Im new to the pluggin and am a bit confused at what would be my best settings. Ive been messing around with it since last night, and FINALLY got distant lands to work. I guess it couldn't load some world meshes. So I ran the Distant land Texture and mesh creator (Advanced) and hit run button and after it was done ran the game and it worked. So i could see things now but not the way i was expecting. Like in the beggining Rocks along the next hill over behind the strider would (how can i put this) start to disappear when i start moving the camer (in first person looking around). Once i get looking at a point new rocks would apear and the others that started to disapear were gone... So any help on a best possible setting would be great.

Oh and my video card is a ATi X1800 XL All In Wonder!

Thanks

My question is, do you have to download this and then change all the stuff in the CS, or does it do some of it automatically. I am not at home right now, so I cant check it out right now, but I would like to try it out. I just didnt know if it is something that you can just activate it in a program or if you have to change everything in the CS.

Also, there doesnt appear to be a download link, so if you could offer an alternate link or see if we can get Darky to fix it...

EDIT: Ok, question... Is there any way to turn the zoom down so my journal isnt so big that I cant see the top or bottom while running in dual monitor mode? The crosshair and journal grow about 2 or 3 times their normal size and I cant read my journal. Kinda annoying...

• 4 weeks later...