CTD on loading first misson

WMOTHuK

Hello, Guys.

Thanks a lot for the work you already done on this fantastc mod and the work that you will do in the future.

The mod is really great.

Here is desc of my problem.

I've played a lot from the PC, but now i want to play on my laptop.

Today i done a steam insallation and installed vanilla game.

After that i installed LW EW 14g, downloaded from here.

Then i act as follwing.

1) Launch EW

2) Creating new LW game on classic

3) Skipping intro

4) Choosing continent

5) Waiting first mission to load

6) But it is not loading to end, after 40-50 seconds of load, i recieve a CTD

Here's the log from launch.log:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[0105.85] Critical: Windows GetLastError: ?5@0F8O CA?5H=> 7025@H5=0. (0)
[0105.90] Log: === Critical error: ===
Rendering thread exception:
Direct3DDevice->CreateVolumeTexture( SizeX, SizeY, SizeZ, NumMips, GetD3DTextureUsageFlags(Flags), (D3DFORMAT)GPixelFormats[Format].PlatformFormat, GetD3DTexturePool(Flags), (IDirect3DVolumeTexture9 **)Texture3D->GetInitReference(), NULL ) failed
at C:\BuildAgent\work\3933f33aff7099bf\branches\UE3_XComEnemyWithin\Development\Src\D3D9Drv\Src\D3D9Texture.cpp:179
with error D3DERR_INVALIDCALL,
SizeX=74, SizeY=36, SizeZ=12, Format=A8R8G8B8=D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, NumMips=1, Flags=, TexMemoryAvailable=1100MB
Address = 0x7628c41f (filename not found) [in C:\windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll]
Address = 0x17a8f61 (filename not found) [in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
Address = 0x1acc743 (filename not found) [in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have tried following steps:
First thing to try:
1. Go to C:\Users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Within\XComGame\Config
2. Delete all files in that directory. If you don't have this directory, you have an unusual install and may need to reinstall XCOM from scratch.
3. Start the game and see if it works. You may get a CTD on first restart; start it again.
Second thing to try:
1. Make sure these files are NOT present. They will cause CTDs on launch. If they are, delete them and start the game.
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\XComStrategyGame.upk.uncompressed_size
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\Engine.upk.uncompressed_size
Third thing to try:
1. In Steam, turn off cloud synchronization of your saves. If that doesn't help, play XCOM Long War in offline mode in Steam. This has been reported to work if you are getting periodic slowdowns during play, and sometimes addresses lockups during game load, including the "Loading User Settings" freeze. Also, if you have dozens of save files, deleting most of them has been reported to help speed up the game.
Fourth thing to try:
1. Go to C:\Users\YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME\Documents\My Games\XCOM - Enemy Within\XComGame\SaveData
2. Delete or rename the file profile.bin and start the game. You may have to re-set your graphics and other settings ingame after this.
3. Start the game and see if it works.
Fifth thing to try:
1. Install Long War EW again, over the current copy. This will probably make the included uninstaller not work, so you'll have to verify back to vanilla via Steam to uninstall.
Sixth thing to try:
1. Verify your install back to vanilla via Steam, and start over.
Seventh thing to try:
We'll try to run down where the installer got borked.
1. Check to make sure the upk files were in fact installed. They should have recent created and/or modified dates (as should all files listed above). The upk files should be much larger than vanilla, as well (as we distribute uncompressed files):
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\XComGame.upk should be roughly 12,176 kb
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\XComStrategyGame.upk should be roughly 4,870 kb
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\UICollection_Strategy_SF.upk should be roughly 19,094 kb
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\UICollection_Tactical_SF.upk (only 3.0 Beta 10 and later) should be roughly 6,539 kb
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\UICollection_Common_SF.upk (only 3.0 Beta 14 and later) should be roughly 6,446 kb
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\Engine.upk (only 3.0 Beta 14 and later) should be roughly 4,618 kb
{app}\XComGame\CookedPCConsole\gfxInterception_SF.upk (3.0 Beta 14d and later) should be roughly 4,916 kb
If they are *massively* smaller (like 1/2 to 1/3 the size), the mod didn't install correctly. If they are only a little different, then this isn't the problem.
3. Check to make sure the config files (inis) were in fact installed. They should all have recent created and/or modified dates.
4. If you are getting vanilla text, but seeing other expected Long War changes, check your localization files in the directory listed above. These control ingame text. Look for recent created and/or modified dates.
5. If you found problems with any of these files and a verify-reinstall didn't help, alert johnnylump via PM on the Nexus, and he'll try to get you corrected versions.
6. Check the date modified date on {app}\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ...

• 8 months later...