Maya - Read This 1st

LHammonds

Autodesk Maya is a 3D modeling tool used in education, film, computer gaming and visual architectural design. Modders can download a trial version that will last for a certain number of days but it is primarily a retail product that costs around $3,500.00 and is used heavily in learning centers. Students with a valid school email address (extension of .edu or .ac.uk) can register at http://students.autodesk.com and download the full version for free.

If working with NIF files, be sure to install the appropriate maya_nif_plugin.

Here are some tutorials that anyone new to Maya should read:

Here are some game-related tutorials related to modding with this tool (might be separated into their own pinned threads one day):

Here are some locations to find more tutorials related to this tool:

Feel free to reply here and let us know of any additional tutorials or tutorial sites that are out there in the wild that we do not know about.

Also, feel free to post any requests for tutorials. I will try to keep a compiled collection of requests on the 2nd post. Bare in mind that requests are generally for ANYONE to complete...not specific to an individual.

List of requested tutorials (number on the end is how many times it has been requested)

• None yet.

• 3 weeks later...

There's not a lot of people out there modding games using Maya but it can be done to a certain point.

Look at this page. It shows that NIF plugin can import and export the NIF format. But it cannot handle animation (e.g. rigging) or collision objects. That means you can create weapons and shields but when you export to NIF, you will do the old NifSkope trick to copy your model from the newly exported NIF into an existing NIF that has a closely-matching collision object that you can use (and of course delete the original model). To create armor and clothing, you can still do this by importing the human body and design the armor around it (for scaling) and create the UV Maps and textures. But you will need to export it to OBJ format and then import it into 3ds max or Blender to rig the armor/clothing to the human skeleton and then export to NIF.

If you look at this page, you can see that the latest version of the plugin supports Maya versions 6.5, 70, 8.0, 8.5, 2008 and 2009 but not for the latest versions of Maya (currently 2011). Maybe one of those versions can work, I don't know but I did just install Maya 2011 last night and will see if I can get the 2009 version to work for 2011 (don't hold your breath though).

If you are determined about wanting to mod for FO3 or TES with Maya, I would implore you to please create tutorials as you go because like you said, there simply is not a lot of mod-related tutorials to be found for Maya. Keep in mind that the best tutorial makers are usually the ones that have just learned or figured it out and still remembers what it was like not knowing how to do it.

LHammonds

• 5 months later...

No, I never got that far. I was trying to get the 2010 version of Max plugin to work for 2011 max but was unsuccessful so I figured trying to get 2009 maya plugin to work with maya 2011 would be a waste of time (for me).

I have run across some instructions to get max 2011 working but I have not tried it out yet. I keep forgetting when I sit down at my computer since I tend to immediately fire up Blender.

LHammonds

• 3 months later...
Im doing some modding for Skyrim using Maya 2011, I've made HEAPS of weapons to put in the game. So did you ever get Maya to export as a NIF file? Or do I have to export to blender and go from there? (I'll have to use blender then) And how do I know what size to make them?

The Maya niftools exporter work to a limited extent for oblivion version nifs and only works on older Maya versions. But afaik nothing beyond that. Export from blender will likely be your best bet, unless someone resumes development of the Maya plugin.

As for size, you mean in terms of object scale, No one can tell you for certain, but the likely scenario is that Skyrim will use a similar object scale to Ob/F3. In which case it uses max genaric units, which by default 1 max unit = 1". Though they completely ignore that fact and simply use it on a scale of something in the region of 128units= 6'. ish. Someone may have a more precise figure on that.

Anyway, what you could do is set your scene measurement up to inches, then decipher how long you want your weapon from that formula. So a 3' sword would be 64units long. Then when you swap programs it should be roughly in the scale you desire.

Or you could import an oblivion object into maya as a scale guide. Which is what most people do, as true scale isn't always the best options... especially when it comes to buildings scale. Ceilings, doors.. are all fairly oversized.

Or you could just wait and then get a hold of a similarly sized object from the game and work out your objects scale from that.

Edited by Ghogiel

FYI - I am in the process of getting the necessary software installed in order to make 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Maya 2011/2012 and 3ds Max 2011/2012 nif plugins. Forum link

LHammonds

I managed to get the maya nif exporter source code. I also managed to configure visual studio with the correct paths to the may sdk, the lib files and .h header files. On the other hand I got an error saying that a resource file was missing.But the errors about missing maya sdk were gone. I'm pretty sure that file is automatically generated but I don't have the slightest clue. Maybe the mel file there generates it. I saw it in the archive too.

I doubt I will ever get this working but it may help some people.

Edited by Alecu