Maya - Read This 1st

LHammonds

Not sure if its the best location on the foruns to post but for what o have looked around it just might. I have been downloading mod files from the website here, since i am a maya user, i have been tryign to customize soe of the models to put back in game. So far so good but i have come up with an issue, happens mainly on armor pieces and characters but sometimes it also appears on weapons, not so often though, and that is, the models appears to be reversed as in, i can see through them. I find it that it only looks that way when i go into textured mode by presssing 6. As thsi happened to anyone or does anyone have an idea how to fix it? would appreciate a response. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Arforyon -- it sounds like what's happening is, your models are getting their face normals reversed.

Do the following (then re-export your models) and see if it fixes it:

-Make sure your "category menu" in the upper left is set to Polygons.

-Go into face selection mode, and select all the faces of your object.

-Go to Normals -> Reverse.

That should fix the problem.

Edited by LaithArkham

• 1 month later...

Would like a basic tutorial on exporting/importing from maya to nifskope for Skyrim.

I've tried searching for this on the web, and have trawled through many posts which mainly involve 3dsmax, and they seem to rely on the max plug-in. So I guess some clarification is also what I need.

Had some success. I've managed to take a model from Nifskope, export as an .obj and bring into maya. Had to set-up the textures manually, but didnt really expect it to do this.

So, to export from maya i need the niftools plug-in? Or can I just export as an .obj and nifskope will read that? And only Maya versions up to 2009 have plug-ins so far? And when exporting from maya do you need to set up groups with certain naming conventions for things like collision, or can you do that by importing .objs and sorting it out Nifskope?