Adobe Photoshop - Read This 1st

LHammonds

Rage912, typically, you install Photoshop, then install the NVidia Photoshop Plugins and you are golden. However, if you are running a 64-bit OS, Photoshop will install both a 32-bit and 64-bit version and when you install the NVidia Plugin, make sure you direct it to the 32-bit version of Photoshop...I think it defaults to the 64-bit folder which might not work (I am not certain and the plugin dox don't say if they support 64-bit).

I've also seen Photoshop get mad when you start Photoshop by double-clicking on a DDS file or right-clicking the DDS file and selecting open. I always started Photoshop first and then imported / exported DDS files.

LHammonds

• 2 weeks later...

Your normal map tutorial is by far the best for someone like me that is not experienced with such things. Thank you so much for this!

One question I always wanted to know was how someone took a typical Oblivion or Fallout armor, weapon, landscape, etc. texture image file and changed it into a hi-rez texture. Is it simply using something like photoshop and changing the image resolution from 1024 to 2048? Anyways, if there is a tutorial on this somewhere, Id love to know where. :thumbsup:

@ Junjo75:

If it was that easy, I would have saved thousands of hours fixing textures up. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that. It involves a lot of techniques, and in the end, you're better off tracing the old one for a higher-rez one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The import settings for the nvida plugin can be changed in the export dialog. Press read config button, and that will bring up the import dialog box, on there simply tick the show dialog box. From then on when you open a dds file, you will get that prompt. In that you can select your mipmap import/viewing options, such as importing them or not.

People lose that dialog box all the time by unticking that 'show this dialog'

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately even after installing the nVidia tools,Photoshop for some reason crashes when I try to import a dds file to it.

To edit a dds texture I have to convert dds to jpg using Dds converter,and import the textures as jpgs to Photoshop,and then convert them back to dds again.

Does anybody know of this problem and has a solution ?

It slows workflow a lot.. :/

• 5 months later...