Read This 1st

LHammonds

VirtualDub is a free video capture/processing utility for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7), licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. It has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files and can be extended with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and also handle sets of BMP images.

Here are some tutorials that anyone new to VirtualDub should read:

• None yet. Know of any?

Here are some tutorials related to modding with this tool:

Here are some locations to find more tutorials related to this tool:

Feel free to reply here and let us know of any additional tutorials or tutorial sites that are out there in the wild that we do not know about.

Also, feel free to post any requests for tutorials. I will try to keep a compiled collection of requests on the 2nd post. Bare in mind that requests are generally for ANYONE to complete...not specific to an individual.

List of requested tutorials (number on the end is how many times it has been requested)

• None yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a useful guide to using VirtualDub on www.doom9.org, under guides.

For editing MKV, MEG-2, there was a variation of VirtualDub called VirtualDubMod, which has been abandoned, but some of its features can be added to VirtualDub . Since I have both, never needed to do so.

• 1 month later...

VirtualDub is a useful tool. Rendered videos in 3ds Max are horrible if you render them as .avi from the program, and rendering the whole sequence in targa format and using VirtualDub to combine them all ensures a high quality video.

Sadly, though, sometimes it loads slow when you watch the video. Is there some way to make it load faster?

BTW I don't mean increase the FPS, but it's as if the computer isn't strong enough to play the movie without preloading it first.

What bitrate are you using? too high and the HDD might not be able to keep up with it hence the slow loading. Also if you're playing from an external drive double check that the USB port is 2.0/3.0 and not 1.1, mobo manufacturers are still sneaking a few 1.1 ports onto boards with 2.0/3.0. You could also try a different player, VideoLan tends to be more efficient.

• 8 months later...