editing save files

chibievil

I cant get it to open up on mine either Chibi :(

Damned TS tries to run 3.70+gb of memory when I try it (Which is a lot more than what my system has 2gb).

There is a Fall Out memory fix that is supposed to work on systems that have 4gb of RAM or more, but I dont have a link for it, and couldnt find it in google. I KNOW that some of the guys around here have it, and recommend using it on Bioware social, for the CTD problem. Supposedly, you can do it to make the toolset run that way as well.

I wish I coulda been more help :(

Ask, and ye shall receive! Here's the full text.

Original Post by akanounnikoff, on the BioWare Social Forums under topic: “Bugs with 1.03 Patch”, http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/1633999/31 (about halfway down page 31)

NOTE: Using this fix takes a (very) basic understanding of Windows file naming, folder structure, and command-line prompts.

=============

Dragon age CTD's in Windows 7 64 bits --> partial fix maybe here !

Hi,

I encountered similar CTD's problem with fallout 3 that [was] solved with the trick provided here (thanks to NMC and Madboris):

[Link to fix:] http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6510

I used the same solution for the main dragon age executable (daorigins.exe) and ... big ammélioration, only 1 CTD after more than 6 hours playing (before I couldn't play more than 10 min).

How it works:

Windows 7 64 bits is able to address large memory space (in my case I have 12 GB memory), "standard" win32 executable can't use more than 2 GB of memory.

Sometimes, when memory space is exhausted, it may cause CTD's and other bad things.

The files provided for fallout 3 by NMC can be used to patch the header of any executable, including the dragon age exe file, to make it able to exceed the 2 GB memory limit.

It is quite simple:

1) download the archive on the provided link

2) edit the start.bat file and replace any occurence of "fallout3.exe" with "daorigins.exe"

3) IMPORTANT: make a backup of your daorigins.exe file

4) copy the file in the folder where you have extracted the 3 GB enabler files

5) execute the modified start.bat and follow the instructions

6) move the patched daorigins.exe in your fallout 3 bin directory, replacing the original file.

WARNING: If you are using a 32 bit OS, you also need to allow large memory address at system level via boot.ini edition. Please read the readme included in the archive

Note: no reverse engineering here, just a modification of the header.

Please, let me know if it solved your CTD as it solved mine.

Best regards and have fun with Dragon Age,

P.S.: I imagine it will not help for any quest related bugs

=============

thanks darkewolfe, i wont use it then. It might be because the mods i used in orgins carried over to the expansion and when toolset reads it it reading all the file and cant handle it and uses all the ram

I sold it all at sandle no biggie just hope the items dont reload on my game lols

Much thanks Thandal! :thumbsup: Bookmarked it this time, for future reference. MUCH appreciated :)

Chibi- dunno. Inventory coulda been a factor and mod count could have been as well. Not sure, tho I DO know that those endgame saves are a bear to load in TS a lot of times :(

I tried an alternate EFF reader, that was suggested in another forum... however.... that didnt work. It showed ONE line, and thats it :(

Stoopid TS *grumble grumble grumble*

But yeah, you might try the fix that Thandal was nice enough to post, and see if maybe that helps. It's listed as being for Win7, but I think that vista, and maybe even XP users can benefit from it. And since it can be used on any .exe file, it SHOULD also work on the Toolset. (I've seen reports of people doing it).

Toolset should be located in your installion DAO folder. Under Tools. IF you have a shortcut for it on your desktop, or taskbar... just right click on the icon>properties> click the tab that reads Shortcut and

then in the box that reads Target should show u the file location. Then copy that address into windows explorer and hit the enter key and it will take it right to that folder ;)

for instance, heres mine- "U:\Game Files\Dragon Age\tools\DragonAgeToolset.exe"

Mine is on a custom drive, so yours is probably C:\program files\dragon age\tools\dragonagetoolset.exe

Good luck! :)

Win XP users (and I don't know many who run 64-bit XP, especially not "Home" Users!)

and those with 32-bit Vista, please see the special note in akounnikoff's post:

"WARNING: If you are using a 32 bit OS, you also need to allow large memory address at system level via [a] boot.ini edit[ion]. Please read the readme included in the archive."

it didnt help, i have win7 32bit and i followed instructions and it says same thing, i look at how much ram it took over 3gig.

I dont understand so i given up on it till it works sometime it may just work randomly

Grats on your 500th post Chibi :)

You can officially set "Old Hand" to anything that you want it to be now :D

Ugh, sorry to hear that it didnt help.

BUT-------------

I just remembered something!!!

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=428 newbypower's face replacer!

This is a tool to make life easier for DA gamers.

It allow to exchange faces for the main character, between savegames, character files, or game resources.

It allow to change the character name and the inventory size too.

Now granted, I havent actually TRIED this part of it's function. But hey.... its worth a shot, right?

Now that I've (finally!) got the Toolset installed, I tried opening a couple of (safely copied) saved games. No problem with the one from a "just started / new game". But I got the same "Out of memory" message that you did, Chibi, when attempting to open the one for my most "complete" Warden. :verymad:

That Warden would be the one I've now taken all the way through from DA:O, (including TSP, RtO, and WK) to DA:A, GoA, and WH. (Heck, if I could have, I'd have run her through LS as well!) Over 200 saves in total for that PC! :blink:

Heh heh, well... I'm not trying to compete, but I generally have around 320-ish saves on just my DAO characters ;) (I save a LOT, I like a lot of scenes and fights ;) ) that and I can go back to them and re-do them when my screen cap conks out :mad:

Grats on getting the TS installed and running Thandal!!! I know you'd given up on that a loooong time ago. It will be very interesting to see what you come up with now, that you can't say "Im a geek, not a modder" ;) :) :thumbsup:

Chibi- I just tested the function to increase the backpack size. IT WORKS! :D

Now, however, I wasnt seeing it happen at first. I had to go thru my mods and uncheck the "Expanded Inventory" mod (which apparently was resetting it to 125 at each game load) and then my inventory jumped up to 400! (that was my test figure).

So give it a shot, this might do it for ya :D

... and i will see what i can change the 'old hand' to something i like

@Chibi; I see you found something! :thumbsup: Is that regular, or Diet? (I favour "Diet Coke Plus", when I can find it. It tastes sweeter, but without the sugar.)