Normal Map Creation

KDStudios

I love using Paint.NET
It's my main tool when doing any textures and I don't need any transparency.

The only problem I have is that the ONLY normal map plugin on the web doesn't actually work (On any of this years Paint.NET's)
So I have to make the normal maps in the Gimp2.6 which is just plain annoying having to switch programs.

If anyone can make a plugin for it or can direct me to one that works on the latest Paint.NET
That would be great.

By the way for anyone who uses Paint.NET you can make normal maps either in Gimp, Photoshop or Crazybump. (For anyone that wants to know)

(Note before posting: Paint.NET is a program that I like to use and has better features than gimp and for me is my choice, like I said I use gimp for textures that need it so no posters asking me to migrate to gimp)

You can also generate normal maps directly in the modeling tool if you have a higher-res model. ;)

I mainly use CrazyBump and edit / merge multiple normal maps to get the desired effect...such as creating one from the diffuse texture and editing that one to create another that has parts flattened out and merge them together.

Hmm...I don't have a pinned thread for CrazyBump....I'll fix that.

LHammonds

Nearly all the Normal Maps I made for EVE were created with the plugin i got for Paint.net

It works with the newest Paint.net, i guess i should upload it somewhere because yours is not working KDS

There were TWO paint.net plugins for making normal maps, one does not work with the NEW paint.net, the other does ;)

@BlackSampleAdmin

For me Paint.NET is better for textures because of all the plugins I got for it, it's just perfect. It's only downside for me is transparency... It isn't true transparency for games.

If you save it and load the texture into Fallout.

The texture will have like a big grey blob.

Example: Bottlecaps will be square with the cap in the middle but grey all around it.

I just love the simplicity and perfection of Paint.NET

Gimp is just terrible for that, shapes aren't too good, there's no line creation? and you can't use the keyboard directional buttons for that precision drawing. So everything must be done by hand =(

Only thing I use gimp for is transparency and normal maps. Other than that I think it's quite terrible really.

@weijiesen

MUST...GET...THAT...LINK...TO...NORMAL...MAP!!

;)

I did find another one when searching for it, but the guy who made it, his link was dead =/

@LHammonds

CrazyBump is my dream normal map creator.

I absolutely loved using it.

Even the preview box was great.

Shame I can't afford it right now. =(

Ah well, it was amazing while the demo lasted.

$49 is a little too steep for for my liking when there's a perfectly great, working and free one with Gimp =P

But to get the best you must have the best I suppose.

Maybe I'll buy it if I come accross any spare money =)

@LHammonds

CrazyBump is my dream normal map creator.

I absolutely loved using it.

Even the preview box was great.

Shame I can't afford it right now. =(

Ah well, it was amazing while the demo lasted.

$49 is a little too steep for for my liking when there's a perfectly great, working and free one with Gimp =P

But to get the best you must have the best I suppose.

Maybe I'll buy it if I come accross any spare money =)

It was $199 for the longest time and then a personal version came out for $100. It was simply too much for personal use so I said as much and my reasons behind it and how I think it would be worth it for me if it were $50. And again, he came out with a deal for educators to get it for $50 and I had to stick to my word and gladly bought it. I think it is free if you are active military...can't remember though.

LHammonds

What has active military got to do with normal maps?

That's odd.

Or is it some kind of reward or something for putting yourself at risk for your country?

I don't know...and I am not 100% sure it was this guy...I could not find the forum thread (cause I did not comment in it).

The guy should have a section or at least a pinned topic dedicated to the licensing / cost information...but he tends to show a lot of leniency in the licensing for some parts and fairly strict in other areas. But yes, the military thing would basically be a thank you for their service to their country. I wouldn't be surprised if this person has done some time in the military as a volunteer or has family in the military.

LHammonds

I use Paint.net too, and i have no problems to make the normal maps.

there was two plugin for normal maps. the first one was made by harlod: Normalmaps1.1 but is outdated, and stopped to work with the 3.2 or higher version ( i'm not sure, i don't remember). i asked for an update, but there was no longer support for this plugin.

but there's a new version by Simon Brown: NormalmapplusV1.0 and it work perfectly with the last version of paint.net ( i use the 3.55)

the only problem in relation to the previous one is there's no negative values. so to make an inverted normal map, we need to invert the colors first.

I use Paint.net too, and i have no problems to make the normal maps.

there was two plugin for normal maps. the first one was made by harlod: Normalmaps1.1 but is outdated, and stopped to work with the 3.2 or higher version ( i'm not sure, i don't remember). i asked for an update, but there was no longer support for this plugin.

but there's a new version by Simon Brown: NormalmapplusV1.0 and it work perfectly with the last version of paint.net ( i use the 3.55)

the only problem in relation to the previous one is there's no negative values. so to make an inverted normal map, we need to invert the colors first.

Is this the same Normal Map Plus that been included with Paint.NET since version 3.10?

EDIT: Correction, Paint.NET comes with DDS support built-in since version 3.10 to open and save DDS files. You still need to install the Normal Map Plus filter which can be acquired on the Nexus page