Heavy Traffic ×

Normal Map Creation

KDStudios

Yeah it is that, and what?

It's not included, I have 3.5 and I never had it :confused: :wacko:

But I do now thanks a lot Rebel O Conner it shall come in handy if I'm in a rush (Paint.NET loads up infinity x600 faster than Gimp)

Yeah it is that, and what?

It's not included, I have 3.5 and I never had it :confused: :wacko:

But I do now thanks a lot Rebel O Conner it shall come in handy if I'm in a rush (Paint.NET loads up infinity x600 faster than Gimp)

Whoops. My bad.

Release notes for 3.10 are:

New: DirectDraw Surface (DDS) file format support, by Dean Ashton, http://www.dmashton.co.uk/ . Improved from the original source code by optimizing the DXT compression library ("Squish") to take advantage of multiple cores / processors.

Which means it can open and save to DDS files. Still need the Normal Map Plugin...yep, I still have it attached to the TESNexus page. Silly me.

I use Paint.net too, and i have no problems to make the normal maps.

there was two plugin for normal maps. the first one was made by harlod: Normalmaps1.1 but is outdated, and stopped to work with the 3.2 or higher version ( i'm not sure, i don't remember). i asked for an update, but there was no longer support for this plugin.

but there's a new version by Simon Brown: NormalmapplusV1.0 and it work perfectly with the last version of paint.net ( i use the 3.55)

the only problem in relation to the previous one is there's no negative values. so to make an inverted normal map, we need to invert the colors first.

Is this the same Normal Map Plus that been included with Paint.NET since version 3.10?

yes, it is.

i totaly forgot it was here :sweat:

• 6 months later...

I have been working on a pluggin to allow one to hand draw normal maps in paint dot net by drawing bump maps by hand and then converting them into normal maps. If I had seen any interest in using PDN for modding I would have posted the beta sooner. I could really use a bit of feed back on it. I will post it and then come back and put up a link.

Bump to Norm<<< here it is!

Shine on<<<use this to!

I should point out that this system is designed to allow you to draw N-maps by hand right over your UV no baking involved. as the name suggests it is a bump map to normal map converter. with the use of the shine on effect reflectivity and normal inversion can be controlled as well. manuals come with each pluggin.