Take up arms won't start

WastelanderGrath

Hi everyone,

I decided to play the companions quest after a long while. Please note that I have PerMa and the deleveling/enemy ai of SkyRe installed. I believe that I have no mods that affect factions or Jorrvaskr or Vilkas or Kodak Whitemane.

I walk through Pelagius Farm, see the crew beating up the giant and they tell me to come to Jorrvaskr. I go there and descend the stairs to find Kodlak. Kodlak is there, and supposed to be talking to Vilkas at that time. Instead, he is sitting there alone and giving only generic answers and not mentioning joining the Companions.

I tried the console commands resetquest and setstage by advancing/resetting "CompanionsMiscObjective" and "C00" to no avail. Some scripted event needs to take place before I am given quests by the Companion leaders. When I start take up arms via console, I am stuck. If I reset the misc objective that tells me to speak to Kodlak nothing happens except the deletion of the journal entry.

I really want to play that questline again and cannot find how to progress. Do you have any idea on how I can progress beyond that point? (CompanionsMiscObjective set to 10 and not advancing)

From the WIKI: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Take_Up_Arms

Find the Companions
On your way to Whiterun, you may come across members of the Companions, specifically Aela the Huntress, Ria, and Farkas, battling a giant among the sparse crops outside Pelagia Farm. If you want to participate in this fight, make sure to head straight to the farm once you arrive in the vicinity of Whiterun. If you delay for even a short time, the Companions will have already defeated the giant before you can join the fray, resulting in Aela taunting you for your lack of assistance. If you delay for too long, you may miss the Companions entirely, as they will slowly walk to the main gates of Whiterun and enter the city after the battle. Note that neither of these results has any negative consequences in your dealings with the Companions. If you are present when the giant dies, Aela will actively seek you out and will, depending on the outcome of the battle, either commend or taunt your battle skills. In both cases, however, she will tell you about the Companions and point you towards Kodlak Whitemane in Jorrvaskr.
This quest can also be started by speaking with select Whiterun citizens or Jorrvaskr residents, who will suggest you go speak with Kodlak.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the exact same problem as well, I was wondering if anyone knows how to force dialogue options via console?? Any help on the subject would be much appreciated, I really want to join the companions too!!!