Texture issues

whymf

If you are going to clean a dusty computer indoors be prepared for a major cleanup job afterward - or use a vacuum.

Not really necessary to remove much besides the video card - but definitely unplug the power cord if nothing else.

Use a small paint brush 25mm wide or less to clean the heat sinks on the CPU and on the video card, but be careful not to bend them.

Canned compressed air should be available at office supply places

@arbrb2011 - Make sure the video cable is plugged in tight. Taking a side off does not automatically improve airflow, in fact it may make it worse. But as you do have normal temperatures, sounds like you may have a failing video card.

If you are going to clean a dusty computer indoors be prepared for a major cleanup job afterward - or use a vacuum.

Not really necessary to remove much besides the video card - but definitely unplug the power cord if nothing else.

Use a small paint brush 25mm wide or less to clean the heat sinks on the CPU and on the video card, but be careful not to bend them.

Canned compressed air should be available at office supply places

@arbrb2011 - Make sure the video cable is plugged in tight. Taking a side off does not automatically improve airflow, in fact it may make it worse. But as you do have normal temperatures, sounds like you may have a failing video card.

I actually know what I'm doing with computers and can assure you airflow is definitely good. This video card runs everything else currently out without any issues. Skyrim is the only thing giving any kind of issues. I'll check that it's in there snug but I'm 99% sure that isn't the problem. This card has been taken care of very well throughout it's life and I would assume the problem would present itself in other games as well.

EDIT: I don't mean to sound snarky lol

Edited by abrb2011

Anyone having these problems can download GPU-Z and see how hot their card is getting. If it is indeed getting hot there are a couple options. One is as already discussed, cleaning. From prior experience I can tell you artifacting is usually caused by the video cards memory overheating. The core itself overheating will cause crashing, lockups and little white dots on the screen. You can either buy an aftermarket cooler that fits your card (some even cool the memory), or in the past I have even purchased small heatsinks of the same size as the memory chips and just installed a simple case fan blowing on them. If anyone really needs it I have a few of my older videocards sitting here collecting dust. If you want to post your motherboard part # I'll see if any of them will work for you and ship it out to ya. I can ship overseas if needed as long as your really gonna use it.

Anyone having these problems can download GPU-Z and see how hot their card is getting. If it is indeed getting hot there are a couple options. One is as already discussed, cleaning. From prior experience I can tell you artifacting is usually caused by the video cards memory overheating. The core itself overheating will cause crashing, lockups and little white dots on the screen. You can either buy an aftermarket cooler that fits your card (some even cool the memory), or in the past I have even purchased small heatsinks of the same size as the memory chips and just installed a simple case fan blowing on them. If anyone really needs it I have a few of my older videocards sitting here collecting dust. If you want to post your motherboard part # I'll see if any of them will work for you and ship it out to ya. I can ship overseas if needed as long as your really gonna use it.

^ the superbro!

You can buy caned air from most computer and office supply stores for a couple bucks a can. :smile:

Your computer is probably pretty dusty and clogged inside if it's older and never been cleaned out. I do mine once a month, and you'd be amazed how much dust slips in even with dust covers on all fans.

My AMD card used to artifact sometimes in Skyrim, before I got a new GPU. It wasn't very old and it was clean, but being pushed pretty hard with texture mods and ENB so would get quite hot. I rearranged my case fans making sure the case had positive pressure and that helped a lot. You might want to check the airflow in your case after you clean the dust out. Make sure all your fans are spinning and revving up when they need to. Get a fan control program and create a fan profile so as things get hotter, your fans will go faster and keep your components from overheating.

I live in a small town in Sweden, which doesn't really have any Computer stores, we do have stores for media purposes though.

My computer isn't really old, sure I've had it for a while but it's not that old just at the time I didn't have the money for a better GPU, so I bought this one.

Yeah I don't really want to run any ENB mods with this GPU, it'll probably overheat and cause it to break, I will buy a new one but, I don't have the time as I am a student with short of time and money..

Do you know if there is a way for me to, after I clean my computer, get my GPU fans to spin faster? So they really cool my GPU down.

Thanks for the info :smile:

You can run ENBoost, without the graphical changes. That is highly recommended, along with the new version of SKSE with the memory patch.

There are quite a few free programs you can use to control fans and monitor your temps, but I just use MSI Afterburner. :)

To be honest, when I had an AMD card I had a lot of the same issues. I'm not sure if it's AMD drivers or what, but some people have zero issues with AMD in Skyrim and others have all kinds of problems. I had mad z-fighting with my R9 280x. The distant mountains in Whiterun looked like a disco-ball half the time. I tried everything to fix it, but nothing worked. My water flickered a lot too. I also had issues with my motherboard and that GPU. My ASUS motherboard HATED it, and would dump the drivers all the time. Again, I tried everything and asked everyone what might be the problem, nothing worked. It was pretty much an unfortunate hardware combination. haha. Everything in my rig hated my GPU. I bought a new card and have had zero issues since. Nothing. Same textures I was using before, same ENB, same everything without the flickering.

Some of your issues looks like the same flickering, but your card is also defiantly artifacting which is usually a heat issue, driver issue, or signs of a failing GPU.