Accidentally removed all greetings from all NPCs

templeofninpo

So... I'm making a mod that uses Unique Landscapes Imperial Isle and I started working on using a farmer from that mod to incorporate into my own mod (just north of town and west of the prison). I save. Upon reloading CS (and CSE) will not load my mod.

I internet search and see that there are issues with using assets from parent .esps (oh the modder learning curve) and that I may be able to fix it by using TES4Edit. I removed all reference to the farmer from my mod and obviously pushed a button that I shouldn't have because now, even though the CS works I've inadvertently stopped all generic greetings.

Is this fixable? Oh, and of course my only backup is two weeks old. Maybe its for the best. the mod I learn how to make quests on kaputs so the next one I make will be more refined. We'll see.

It feels a bit urgent only because I am wary of putting any more work into it until I know it can be recovered.

I'm experimenting with TES4Edit now.

Whenever you alter an ESP in TES4Edit it makes a backup in the Oblivion\Data\TES4Edit Backups folder with the date and time appended to the file name (which makes TES4Edit a safer way to "experiment").

Unless you're using tes4edit through MO. Then it puts the backup in an 'overwrite' folder and I had been making a habit of just deleting those. A learning process... It was good. Inspired me to get NV ready for making a mod.

The only 'darn' part is I was looking forward to having it done by saturday and now it will still be a couple weeks-ish.

And that said, I made the 'moving lights' but the colored torches (with flame removed) were visible... Can a torch be used without a mesh?

Oh my gosh. OK. So, in an attempt to distract from dealing with preconceptions of wanting the mod done by a certain time and it not going to happen, I totally got fallout New Vegas set up for me to start modding on it again with my new found skill of quest making. I go back to the oblivion mod and am going to start seeing what I can do with a two week old back up, I check Imperial Isle activated in the CSE to see what a working mod looks like... then it dawns on me all the generic greetings are gone and I associate, finally, the 'generic' dialog with its 'generic' quest... anyhoo, the culprit was a getinfaction condition in the generic quest- if it says 1 then that faction will be the only one that can speak the lines.

One little thing... I'll be making a much more disciplined practice of backing stuff up now ,though.

cheers for the attention.

Edited by templeofninpo