Frequent CTDs, Missing Textures, world going dark?

Deleted1790188User

Hello! Lately I've started running into a weird issue that I've never encountered before where I encounter almost constant missing textures (pink bodies/clothing, or dark parts on items or people), frequent crashes to desktop without error randomly or on trying to load a new area, and most oddly occasions where all the items go blackish and shadowy, and bodies disappear leaving floating heads and sometimes lower bodies that are again shadows. VERY strange looking, and all very frustrating for gameplay. I've tried different memory and .ini tweaks and tweaking my load order repeatedly, manually, with BOSS and LOOT, but nothing has helped just yet, and that ENB mod that's supposed to help with such problems has missing effects instead, such as fires not appearing and the alchemy tables missing shapes. I've also used Wryebash and it made a bash patch, but again it didn't help. I've never run into this issue before and I'm using basically the same mods as always, so at this point I'm at a loss.

I'm now using the default skyrim and skyrimprefsini, and I deleted the d3d9.ll I was using as well, but again, all to no avail.

Below is the essential information, so hopefully someone can puzzle this out or give advice. Thanks!

Specs are: Windows 8 64-bit, Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz, 16324MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660. (Honestly, I'm not big on these things - just copied what I think is important from dxdiag, please let me know if anything is missing.)

Load Order:

GameMode=Skyrim
Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
Fantasy Soundtrack Project.esp=1
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm=1
Omegared99-Compilation.esm=1
SGHairPackBase.esm=1
RSkyrimChildren.esm=1
JSwords.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
Omegared99-WeaponSets.esp=1
CutthroatMerchantsEasy.esp=0
BetterQuestObjectives-Hearthfire.esp=1
CutthroatMerchantsVeryHard.esp=1
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
Enchanting Freedom.esp=1
DustsOutfit.esp=1
Hedge Mage Armor - Craftable Module.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
Project Ultimatum.esp=1
CutthroatMerchantsMedium.esp=0
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=1
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp=1
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp=1
Dragon Combat Overhaul.esp=1
CutthroatMerchantsHard.esp=0
RSChildren - Complete.esp=1
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp=1
LearnAlchemyFromRecipes.esp=1
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-ThievesGuildRequirementsPatch.esp=1
ETaC - Complete.esp=1
Better Dynamic Snow.esp=1
Newhairpack.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp=1
RealisticRoomRental.esp=1
ETaC - Dragon Bridge South.esp=1
BetterQuestObjectives-PersidRRentalPatch.esp=1
3DNPC.esp=1
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp=1
WATER.esp=1
RND_USKP-Patch.esp=1
RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp=1
SGHairPackAIO.esp=1
OpenUnlock.esp=1
TheChoiceIsYours_Dragonborn.esp=1
TravelRobes.esp=1
TrueBrows.esp=1
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp=1
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp=1
FSP - Dawnguard Edition.esp=1
Helgen Reborn.esp=1
Screenshot of the weird shadow-world issue:
http://i.imgur.com/tYEblM6.jpg
Edited by Guest

Thanks! As I said I did use Boss, and I'm not seeing any conflicts beyond dirty edits in the main game ESMs and with some patches for mods I no longer used, but the patches aren't activated. (I'll remove them anyway, just in case.) I'm now trying to use TE5edit to tidy things up and see if that helps. Any further thoughts?

I think your graphics card is overloaded, what is your texture detail set at? the most I can use is medium detail before this happens (though it never got that bad) and i have a generic intel HD graphics card. also do you have any texture mods that come as loose files? as for the ctds get enboost.

also, try this utility, it reduced the problems I had a lot: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/? go for the best possible compression.

hope this helps!

Hello! Lately I've started running into a weird issue that I've never encountered before where I encounter almost constant missing textures (pink bodies/clothing, or dark parts on items or people), frequent crashes to desktop without error randomly or on trying to load a new area, and most oddly occasions where all the items go blackish and shadowy, and bodies disappear leaving floating heads and sometimes lower bodies that are again shadows. VERY strange looking, and all very frustrating for gameplay.

I suggest you download Skyrim Performance Monitor, and check to see if you are hitting the 3.1 gb memory limit.

Thanks for the tips! I've reduced all my high-texture mods to lower intensity versions, used Ordenater and just got this screenshot from SPM - which unfortunately, it looks like I'm still hitting the near cap for VRAM. Any way I can buff it up? I have loads of virtual memory, but I don't think Skyrim can use it all.

http://i.imgur.com/SBY0CaJ.jpg

Any way I can buff it up? I have loads of virtual memory, but I don't think Skyrim can use it all.

Try ENBoost. Grab the newest ENB binary from Boris's site (ENB), I think it's 264. Use STEP to configure it HERE.

Are you using any texture mods like HD 2k or Book of Silence? If you are, could you please list them for us since they do not have esp's and we can't see them in your load.

Edited by DurtyNelly

I tried installing it according to STEP, but it crashes now without error just after the title menu shows up. I followed the directions you linked, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

As for textures, I'm using:

AOF Detailed Mountains 1024

Distant Decal Fix

Natural Grass Texture Floor

Pletapalooza

Skyrim Flora Overhaul

Skyrim HD - 2K Texures LITE

SMIM

I got rid of some texture mods and downgraded the others to lite versions to try and help the issue. At least the shadow world seems to be gone, but I do still get random CTDs.

More than likely (and I say this because I've done it heaps lol) you haven't set up the memory section in your enblocal.ini properly. It should look like this:

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=8192 <-- (VRAM + RAM - 2048) You can go as high a 10GB if you have it, but no higher. I use 8192 because I was getting crashes in heavily forested areas with 10GB. I have a lot of mods lol
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false <--- Change this to false and see if it helps! I crash if it's set to true.
Also, make sure you have UsePatchHackWithoutGraphics set to TRUE, so you're using the boost without ENB effects.
Okay, now I see what your issue is. :laugh: What options did you chose in SMIM? If you use all the highest options you're going to have a bad day. SFO is pretty heavy. I think Vurt recommends at least 3GB of Vram, but I'm not sure. It might be 2GB, but will Skyrim HD and SMIM it's a lot.
Maybe take out SFO and see it that helps. You can replace it with smaller mods like Simply Bigger Trees and Unique Plants.
Edited by DurtyNelly

Unfortunately, the ENB tweaks still aren't working. :( Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have my suspicions, though - I previously used an FXAA tool for colours and such. There's not only d3d9.dll in my skyrim directory, but also some I don't know for sure are there in vanilla - atimgpud.dll, binkw32.dll, flowchartx32.dll, ssce5432.dll and skse_1_9_32.dll, although the last is of course there because I use SKSE...

Ooh, weird! Okay, I just tried launching from the launcher instead of SKSE shortcut, and it worked. Can I use ENB with SKSE? How would I make it work?

Also, I did downgrade some things in SMIM when I realized how heavy it was. :P I'll keep progressively going lower with other things if it helps.