Beta14 on Mac

Jmurph2000

I currently having a problem installing the long war due to having my steam library on an external hard drive. when i try to install the mod using the normal script it can't find the proper folders. I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem.

Take a look in the thread "Long War for Mac OS/X - pointer / tips". This has the most extensive advice on LW Mac problems. That said, the LW install script for Mac has (I believe) a command line parameter for telling it the location of your XCOM folder (note NOT the XEW folder). See the included documentation, both the "Readme" and the "Detailed Troubleshooting" files.

BTW, the latest version is Beta 15f. Don't waste time with an earlier version. Always use the latest.

And now for the standard boilerplate response for your further edification:

Long War bug reports should be posted in the appropriate Beta Feedback thread in the "Long War" download page "forum section" for a quick response. (The LW Team has stated they don't check the main forum at all anymore for problems. Really, the dev team is the most likely to be able to help with a LW issue but anyone else who can also will be there.) You may also find that the answer is already known and posted in that section.

Be sure to read the document included with the LW download on reporting bugs. They need all the information requested there to be able to help. If they can't reproduce the problem, they can't fix it.

While the LW installer handles any code modifications for you, it is still necessary to prepare your system for mods as laid out in the wiki article "Basic Guide to installing mods". The "Environment" section in particular still applies to LW, and the " OS/X mod installation" section has specifics for Mac versions.

The first recommended fix is always to upgrade to the latest version. Be sure to check the release notes for the effect upon a saved game.

Edited by dubiousintent

• 1 month later...

hi guys!

have some problems with installing 15f for mac. I did all things as written in readme file.

1. This mod is for Steam version of XCOM: Enemy Within only. - yes
2. Ensure the game was started at least once without the mod (fails to load menu if it never phoned home). - did
3. Switch off all Steam online features for XCOM: cloud sync and automatic updates. - in addition blocked all outgoing connections by little snitch
4. blocked Firaxis' servers via /etc/hosts:
"127.0.0.1 prod.xcom.firaxis.com
127.0.0.1 prod.xcom-ew.firaxis.com" - did
5. terminal:

Installing Long War for XCOM:EW, please, be patient...

User files dir: /Users/Alex/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW

\e[0;31mOld version of Long War found. Keep savegames?\e[0m (y/n)

not keeping savegames

uninstalling old version now

found old Long War backup in /Users/Alex/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/backup_oldLW or /Users/Alex/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW/backup_oldLW

\e[0;31mremove old Long War backup files?\e[0m (y/n)

logout

after all this the game runs as usual EW.

then i tried manual install according to the wiki article "The manual mod install process (assuming a Steam version of the game) follows for those who still have problems".

and nothing - for a half sec I see picture "XCom:EW" after running. then game is closed

Any advices?

Sorry for my english.

Your English is fine.

LW support for the Mac is hard as none of the developers actually have a Mac. Basically the install process is a port from the Linux installer. Primarily you have to rely upon advice from other Mac users.

We have gathered what tips we have found in the "OS/X Mod Installation" section of the "Basic Guide to installing mods" wiki article, as noted in the post right before yours. Notice that it does make a difference as to which version for the Mac you have: meaning whether it is from Steam, the Apple AppStore, or some other source.

From your description I would expect there to be some system error file report.

* If you were using the installer, it would have an error report in the folder with the unpacked LW files the installer was running from.

* If it were Windows I would tell you to look in the "Event Viewer" under "Applications" and "System" for fatal error messages.

* As "OS/X" is essentially Linux, suggest you try in the "var/log/messages" file for the "Applications" errors, and in the "/etc/sysconfig/syslog" for "System" errors.

* Otherwise, you will need to research where OS/X puts those error logs.

The system error message is most likely to tell us what went wrong.

-Dubious-

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Not sure what the problem here is but

####3-MacBook-Pro-2:~ ###$ /Volumes/###\'s\ Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew/install-LW-OSX.sh ; exit;
find: /Volumes/### Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew/install-files/: No such file or directory
Installing Long War for XCOM:EW, please, be patient...
Can not find game files. Please specify xew dir location
/Volumes/###\'s\ Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew                                        
User files dir: /Users/####/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW
old backup already exists in /Users/###/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW/backup or /Volumes/### Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew/backup.
Owerwrite old backup? (y/n) y
Removing old backup and all its content...
Wrote backup to:
User files: /Users/###/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW/backup
Game files: /Volumes/###Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew/backup
Copying install files...
cp: directory /Volumes/### Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew/XComData/XEW does not exist
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Is the terminal log I think its todo with installing on an external drive

Edited by KhrisF999

Ahh after further analysis of the code i believe this line is causing the problem

cp: directory /Volumes/### Overkill/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XComGame/xew/XComData/XEW does not exist

It looks like that line is using the entered address then adding /XComData/XEW