Replacing RND (/luck) completely with damage reduction.

robdud

It would be nice to have a mode which would remove RND/luck elements and balance game around it.

Here is how I imagine removing some of the RND elements from the game.

[General remark] All weapons, grenades and rockets should hit their intended targets. Instead of having hit and miss mechanics we would embrace damage reduction.

Other:

• 30% chance to hit would be instead 30% of your weapon damage (so with weapon of dmg 10 you would do damage of 3 with 30% chance to hit)
  • Weapon damage of 5-7 would be instead 6 constantly (so average instead of RND)
  • 20% chance to critically hit would work like a damage just add on top of normal damage
  • All cover and armour defence would just reduce damage
  • Grenades/rockets would always loose 0.5 damage with each tile from where they landed

I hope this would remove frustrating part out of the game when experience soldier dies because he couldn't kill that alien from point blank range. Also it will make this game work more like a chess game.

I'm not a moder but I would like somebody to make mode like that.

Peace

Edit: I've posted this in the wrong thread...

Edited by robdud

If you just replace to hit chance with damage reduction, your experienced soldier will die anyway, only this time he'll die due to not dealing enough damage. :smile:

Regardless, such a mod will require a complete overhaul of the entire game mechanics. And this is a lot of hex coding. And I mean LOT.

If you just replace to hit chance with damage reduction, your experienced soldier will die anyway, only this time he'll die due to not dealing enough damage. :smile:

Regardless, such a mod will require a complete overhaul of the entire game mechanics. And this is a lot of hex coding. And I mean LOT.

Thanks for clarifying. This change would require some other balancing changes but I think it would be worth it, just so we can stop having RND elements in the game. It's too bad XCOM devs didn't make this game more modders friendly.