Become a Caravan Merchant

Agnonthewolf

Hi community! Today i started a new character based on the idea of becoming a traveling real-time merchant. But a few hours after creating the character, i started to get bored. I found that it's not really possible to play as a traveling caravan due to a couple of reasons.

1st: The game does not support a dynamic economy. so even with high barter it wouldn't be possible to make an actual profit traveling from town-to-town with goods. (the only real way to make a profit as to scavenge/hunt down npc's)
2nd: As kinda stated above. it's not possible to make a profit by buying a product from a vendor and then selling it to another one no matter your bartering skill.

3th: A classic caravan in fallout consist of a trader, a brahmin and a guard. Neither hire-able guards or companion brahmin's are available in the vanilla game (yes i am aware there are mods for hiring guards and companion mods that gives you a brahmin. What i am looking for is a complete merchant mod. Explanation follows below :wink: )

"So?" You might ask. "how would this enhance my game?" Well... It might not. you might in the end still make more caps just roaming aimlessly around the wasteland killing everything and everyone like you did the last 20 characters you created. This just adds an alternative path to the genuine manslaughter and scavenging.

I have some ideas. And i would love to make this mod myself. But i have neither the time nor know-how to do so. I imagine adding an npc (or another way of obtaining the quest) to the crimson caravan. The player might at the start get a quest telling them to deliver a certain item or guard a caravan for a certain amount of time. after completing one or more of said quests the player will get the option to become a caravan merchant them self (maybe alternatively just becoming a guard?) The player will then be granted a brahmin, possibly a caravan guard and a specific merchandise they need to deliver. Say for instance the player gets 40 bottles of water, 20 cans of beans, 4 medical supplies and 10 scrap metal. The water and beans are needed at the 188 and the scrap metal at Novac and the 4 medical supplies at Primm. The players job is then to travel a certain route and delivering said merchandise to certain NPC's. The player can then negotiate using barter to attempt to make a better deal giving a bigger bonus to the players paycheck. Also the NPC will then give the player a list of items they need you to bring the next time your in town. In addition to that some merchants around the Mojave might also have needs you can tend to allowing you to customize your trade route and stock. In turn the player can learn what needs specific towns and traders might have allowing the player to specialize in certain merchandise like Medical, Food, Scraps, Weapons etc. And to add to the experience bandit waylays and side events might even happen whiles the player makes their journey. (A suspicious guy stalking the caravan, a bandit raiding party out for your goods, a desperate man begging for freebies, etc!) Perhaps the more money the caravan makes the bigger the bulls-eye, and the more frequent the events will be (not saying there has to be combat every 3th minute.)

Phew! That's all i have for ya folks! I hope some brilliant modder can make this idea come to life! And if your interested. Feel free to ping-pong me if you need ideas. I have plenty up my sleeve. :smile:

Best regards ~Agnon~
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/re9_EiYZtLg/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Agnonthewolf

For sure, even started a simple little DIY caravan mod a long time ago;

PIC;

http://static-1.nexusmods.com/15/mods/130/images/40027-1-1296533170.jpg

It's a little caravan train (with some presonality) you can work out of wolfhorn ranch. But I need to revamp it completely since it was one of my first mods. I'v also story boarded a lot of ideas in this forum on making a player caravan company. I get the greatest motivation/momentum from great ideas, so lets brainstorm and see if we can't put something worthwhile together.

Hit my find content button under my nexus profile to see some of the ideas already in play (or if you don't know how to do that let me know and I'll link some of the more productive threads in this post).

Oh also I was able to rig some working carts/wagons, VIDS;

and a shopping cart (ala "the road") for the player or an npc (although I don't have a vid of it up of a newer method, just the old crappy one that was rigged through blender). I think both of those adds a much needed level of immersion, and it's probably well past time to start including them in some mods.

EDIT: oops, had duplicate videos up.

Edited by devinpatterson