Skyrim drops to 1 fps on powerful PC? Help!

PROgamerIV

Hello everyone!

For a few days I've been having a problem. Skyrim, after 10 mins of playing (or sometimes more, sometimes immediately), drops to 1 fps while until then it runs between 40 and 60. The game is on Ultra, and I have many - but tested and previously working - mods installed, I have attached the NMM list.

The strangest thing is that when I look down on my feet or up in the sky in the game, the fps is a stable 60 as it should be, but when I look at the actual game world, it drops. Doesn't do it in all areas, though, and as I said it sometimes doesn't do it immediately, but in most areas it drops.

My PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core @ 4.3ghz, stock cooler (tried with default 4ghz clock speed and fan speed up, no luck, does not overheat with anything from Far Cry 4 maxed out to Project CARS maxed out)
Memory: Crucial 2+2+2GB DDR3, 1600MHz
VGA: XFX R9-280X 3GB GDDR5

The mod configuration I have attached is not the usual one - usually I have a lot more retexture mods, but it doesn't matter, same result.

Re-installed from scratch 3 times already, vanilla game has no problems, after installing a few mods like on the list I attached, it happens.

Screenshots right here (they were too big to attach as files and they are also featured in the video below):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi0sv4wfv84w4w6/Dwm%202015-01-03%2022-06-55-36.jpg?dl=0+

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rkw1z5tm0zowc19/Dwm%202015-01-03%2022-07-05-23.jpg?dl=0

I also use Project ENB's Realistic version.

Also, here is a video I made about the issue, for better understanding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdEpObFsOvg&list=UUbvP6gopm1LcB2Ox2Sjs70Q

Oh, and just so you know: the video's thumbnail screenshot is taken by me, and back then it worked fine looking like that. :O

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: Don't mind them male texture things. I was not really sure what they exactly do... :smile:

Load order is fine, I'm into modding Skyrim since the day it was released, but with this new PC this issue doesn't let me play how I want to.

Edited by PROgamerIV

• 1 month later...

This seemed to work for me, using MO

MO>profiles>[your profile]> Delete skyrim.ini & skyrimprefs.ini

Steam>steamapps>blah blah blah> look for different skyrim ini's from different settings I.E. high.ini , veryhigh ect as well as skyrim.ini & prefs ini. Delete all of them.

***MAKE NOTE OF ANY INI TWEAKS YOU ARE USING***

Run skyrim through steam w/ your desired settings, exit, run through MO (or w/e), ini tweaks, enjoy.

Seemed to happen to me from playing around with different display settings too much.

It may be caused by your VRAM getting filled up, then when you turn around, it can be refreshing the textures in your VRAM (getting rid of the old, loading up the new). It can happen pretty often to anyone using high resolution/uncompressed textures. I'd suggest using a texture optimizer, and seeing if that helps.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801/? this is the one I personally use.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm having this issue as well. Here are my specs:

Intel Xeon E3 1240

16GB Avexir Core DDR3 1600

nVidia GTX 1070

240GB Sandisk Ultra

Intel Raid Array (2TB)

AsRock H77M

Corsar CX600M

Corsair H100i

I play on three screens at 4320x900, yet am still experience drops to 1FPS. I had the problem in the DB Sanctuary during the part where the Penitus Oculatus burn it down, I had to drop to 800x600 on Low to even finish that bit.

I don't use ENB, and I have less than 100 mods.

Does anyone have any insight? I tried resetting my INIs and even tried a fresh install of Skyrim, no dice.

• 6 months later...

It's an old thread but I'm having the same problem. I get 1-2 FPS now, even reinstalling and playing plain vanilla (i.e.: no mods). I play at 3840x2160 running on NVidia GTX 960M with 4GB of RAM on board. Just to be sure, I'm playing Skyrim SE. I can change the screen size to 1920x1080 and get 9 FPS. No matter what setting (Ultra, High, etc.) I use the result is the same.

Until a few days ago I decided to switch from Nexus Mod Manager to Mod Organizer 2 and that's when it all started. Today, well almost two days ago now, I switched back to NMM. I knew it shouldn't make a difference but that was really the only thing different.

I've reinstalled SSE three times this week and am running out of ideas. (I did as above and deleted the .ini files and what-not and nothing changed.)

Edit: Solved ten minutes after I posted this! The SKSE.ini file in Data/SKSE was changed. I had followed someone's instructions on setting up MO2 and they got rid of a very important line.

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

That's all that was needed. The game is playable again.

Edited by ManOfSteelMan