Duplicate items

drewmeister11

I've had this problem on several mods, and am just wondering what causes it and if it can be fixed. The mods give me new items which are placed into my inventory, just like normal Dragon Age DLC items work. Unfortunately, every time I re-load the game I get new copies of said items in my bag. Once or twice doesn't annoy me, but when i have to reload a game due to dying and find my bags are now full when I'm in the middle of the werewolf ruins... it gets annoying. Any help (other than the obvious 'disable the mod') would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, sometimes a mod should add an item but won't, such as with the elven gray warden outfit.

Heyas Drew-

It all depends on the script that adds the items to the players inventory. Some of the mods ARE scripted to add this to inventory every time the game loads. The only way to change this, is to replace that script with a new one. (Which... if you dont know anything about scripting, then I'd recommend asking either the modder who made it to change the script, or put a request in the mods request section.

There are several different add item scripts that are being used. And all of them are different, so they spawn the items differently.

As for the problem with the ones that dont spawn correctly on new characters... this is a problem with the game, not the mods. Bioware's patches have jacked up the system, and the mod's scripts dont necessarily work they way they are supposed to.

To avoid THAT particular problem, follow the advice that I quoted in my sig by RustyBlade. About disabling all of them before starting a new character ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious, is it possible to disable autospawn in inventories scripts in general?

I have the additem through the console script, so I can add anything I want to my inventory when desired, but the sole reason I have skipped/avoided countless armor/weapon mods is that they either spam my inventory with 30+ items, or they respawn every save game/load.

I peeked at some of the mods in the toolset, and I can find where specific items are labeled to add them, if only I could find a way to disable their autospawn scripts.

The script would be in a file with the ncs extension. Unfortunately the toolset cannot edit it. It is created by the toolset from the original script which is an nss file which most times gets deleted by the mod creator. If you still have the nss file you may be able to edit it and re-export it. You could try moving it elsewhere (preferred for experimentation) or deleting it and see if you can call the items from the console. Of course if it is a dazip you will have to extract everything from the erf's first.

When I made my Wardens in Black armor set I set it up to be called only from the console, got a few complaints from people who didn't want to or couldn't get the console to work but I like you loathe these mods that do the inventory spamming so the complainers are out of luck on that one.

Yeah, I got the feeling I was in the minority on preferring using the console. Thanks for the feedback, I'll poke around some of those mods a bit and see if they left them.

I guess it won't bother me much, as I already get official DLC items in my inventory every new game. It's just some of the awesome mod weapons/armors were coded with the 'give it to them if it isn't in their inventory right now' for every save load, and those are a bit tedious.

I'm glad some have caught on and are making the inventory spawn file optional (e.g. all of XTR3M368's new weapons).

• 2 weeks later...

Woo! I think I got it.

I did a test run with Manolaxs Staff Collection, one that reportedly respawns constantly in your inventory.

I opened up the staves.cif in the toolset and found the line campaign_cif_entry_script and erased what was in it (was set to run "module_staves").

I loaded the game and nothing spawned in my inventory. (check).

I updated my Get Any Item Visual Deluxe list with his scanner, and I was able to manually add them via the console.

Looking good so far, more testing will ensue!

It would seem that I am simply removing the script that would normally run on entry into the game by removing that line in these modules (the one that checks if you have said item and adds it).

Just tried it again with Seven Hymns Of The Dragons and Amy Outfit with the same result. No more auto-add and inventory spam, now I can add as I choose!

Me very happy. :)

.cif files should be one of the first places to look. Those are how we added optional "inventory spawn" scripts. Most .cifs will be negated if you start a new game with the mod enabled. It is a "DA bug" that works to the advantage for those of us who hate our inventory spammed.

Yeah, I saw that. My issue lied in that I had about 20 saved games 'in progress'. Additionally, some of those mods were written with the inferior method of auto spawning in the inventory, where it only checked the player inventory, so if a follower had it equipped, or you put it in a chest, it respawned.

So, the ability to easily 'mod' a mod so I can only add items as needed, priceless.

• 1 year later...