Overhauling Default Functionality

WraithFF

I've been using the creation kit for a while now and know how to create new spells, enchantments, scripts and so on. But I can't figure out how to add or change default functionality. If I need to use a different program for these, let me know.

Some of the things I can't figure out are for example:

Making scrolls of all spells (I understand this was done in the mod "Perkus Maximus", so it must be possible),

increasing overall damage done or taken,

changing all scrolls to not be destroyed upon use,

making staffs slowly recharge over time (This has also been done in Perkus Maximus and other mods as well),

changing the cost of items to equal specific stats of that item (for example making all weapons cost as much as they weigh times 10),

checking for a condition every time a spell is used and

changing how recharging works for specific enchanted items (such as staffs) (For example recharging double the amount).

If anyone knows how to do any of the above examples, please let me know how it's done, it would be even better if you knew how it was done so it included things (like staffs and spells) added by other mods.

I understand that I might be able to create quests or change perks to have some of the desired effects (for example the staff recharge over time effect, and possibly the condition when a spell is cast), but I'm not sure if that is reliable. I hope there is a way of doing this through scripting, since I have most experience with that. I believe I will also need a way for a script to run whenever an event occurs. But I have no idea how to do that I understand this can be done through quests events, so I'm currently looking into that. But I have no idea how to even approach the other stuff, so that's why I'm asking. There's no need to post complete code, just direct me towards what could be done or link me to some tutorial page (I haven't found one myself, other than the official creation kit quest page).

Edited by WraithFF

You're going to have to learn scripting, my friend.

Well, I've already worked with scripting quite a bit for spells (and I have some years of programming experience in other languages), but not for this kind of stuff. So the question is where I would put these scripts and how they'd be called (I'm still relatively new to most of the Creation Kit's features).

On other notes: I've figured out that quests have events which allow them to start whenever something happens. So perhaps that could be used when checking for a condition when a spell is cast. I'll look more into this in the meanwhile.

What event you use depends on what you are trying to do. You can add a script to the player using a quest alias. Some of your ideas will probably involve adding a perk to the player. Others are just scripting. Some might be impossible.

What event you use depends on what you are trying to do. You can add a script to the player using a quest alias. Some of your ideas will probably involve adding a perk to the player. Others are just scripting. Some might be impossible.

Thanks for the information, but what do you mean by "just scripting"? Don't I need to put the scripts somewhere for them to be called, in order for them to actually do something?

I'm currently testing scripting through quests and so far it's going well, but I'm still in the dark about turning all spells into scrolls, dynamic prices and basically everything other than the condition when I cast a spell and staff recharge over time. Some of the things I know are possible because other mods managed to do it, but I guess some things simply aren't possible or as easy as I'd like them to be.

I'm saying some of your ideas may not require (and in fact may only be possible) through other methods besides scripts. Now that you know magic effects you should probably learn about perks.

http://www.creationkit.com/Perk

I've taken a look at how perks work and also at how some of the perks in the game work, but I'm not really convinced by the idea that I can't do what perks can by scripting. Most of the perks just change an actor value on some conditions, which could be done by scripting. Sure, some of my ideas may not require scripting, but I don't see any harm in doing it. And I'm not exactly planning to use perks in the mod anyways. Maybe I'm missing the point?

1.Making scrolls of all spells (I understand this was done in the mod "Perkus Maximus", so it must be possible),
2.changing all scrolls to not be destroyed upon use,
3.making staffs slowly recharge over time (This has also been done in Perkus Maximus and other mods as well),
4.changing the cost of items to equal specific stats of that item (for example making all weapons cost as much as they weigh times 10),
5.checking for a condition every time a spell is used and
6.changing how recharging works for specific enchanted items (such as staffs) (For example recharging double the amount).

1. Can be done with Papyrus, I haven't touched scrolls, I didn't even knew they existed. Easily scripted.

2. After using the Scroll you can just use Papyrus to make it re-add the scroll to your inventory as many times as you want, it's flexible, just think.

3. Using the Event OnUpdate(), checking for keywords and using some commands I've never used, but I know they exist, you can do it for staffs you have equipped in either hands.

4. Don't know, never went there.

5. Possible through Papyrus, here you can find a list of all the conditions you can use: http://www.creationkit.com/Condition_Functions

6. Back to 3, you can edit how fast you want to recharge your staffs and so on.

I would advise letting the game do anything it can do without scripts. Use scripts when there isn't already a built-in way of accomplishing what you want to accomplish. Yes, you could write a script that does the calculations and then adjusts melee damage appropriately based on actor values when the player equips a weapon with certain keywords, etc., and then undo all those changes when the player unequips that weapon, but why? You're putting in a lot of work for something that perks already do more efficiently, effectively, and reliably because that is exactly what they were built to do.

1.Making scrolls of all spells (I understand this was done in the mod "Perkus Maximus", so it must be possible),
2.changing all scrolls to not be destroyed upon use,
3.making staffs slowly recharge over time (This has also been done in Perkus Maximus and other mods as well),
4.changing the cost of items to equal specific stats of that item (for example making all weapons cost as much as they weigh times 10),
5.checking for a condition every time a spell is used and
6.changing how recharging works for specific enchanted items (such as staffs) (For example recharging double the amount).
1. Can be done with Papyrus, I haven't touched scrolls, I didn't even knew they existed. Easily scripted.

2. After using the Scroll you can just use Papyrus to make it re-add the scroll to your inventory as many times as you want, it's flexible, just think.

3. Using the Event OnUpdate(), checking for keywords and using some commands I've never used, but I know they exist, you can do it for staffs you have equipped in either hands.

4. Don't know, never went there.

5. Possible through Papyrus, here you can find a list of all the conditions you can use: http://www.creationkit.com/Condition_Functions

6. Back to 3, you can edit how fast you want to recharge your staffs and so on.

A few of these don't need papyrus or could be done in a more efficient manner. I'll go into more detail when I get home.

Its best not to jump straight to Papyrus.