Skyrim making me auto-reboot - or was it the Nexus?

LethalThreat

Recently Skyrim (or maybe something else) has been making my computer reboot every now and then, usually random.

Well, I'll start from the beginning - all this began when I entered the Nexus chat room. I was chatting, trying to help someone in chat then my computer randomly rebooted. Prior to that my computer has never rebooted or had any issues. When I got the screen back up all looked well, it made me do a repair and after wait about 20 minutes it came up as nothing is wrong. So I just figured it was a hiccup, my computer isn't high tech and is outdated considering today's standards. I decided to go play some Skyrim, all worked well until I rebooted about 30 minutes later. I tried again to play Skyrim, this time I was able to play for the rest of the night. The next day I start my day off with some modding, so I go into the CK and after about an hour or so I reboot. After getting back on I tried the CK again and all went well the rest of the session. When I began playing Skyrim again it started off good then I had random reboots every now-and-then. Yesterday I thought, okay - I'll switch my ENB maybe that's what is wrong, but it wasn't, I still faced random reboots. So I then toned down some of the unessential mods, the story is yet to be continued.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. I reboot more when I look away from the computer screen/Skyrim or the CK. For example: I play Skyrim for an hour or so not issues at all, a little later I reboot but by then it is expected. I play Skyrim for only about 10 minutes or so and look away for a mere minute I reboot. I think my Skyrim is possessed.

Not only when I play Skyrim or the CK I reboot, also when I go into Nexus chat I reboot. Only Nexus chat. So I've stayed away from there considering that's where the rebooting started.

So I don't know if maybe my computer is just dying out and it just so happens to reboot only during Skyrim, CK, and Nexus chat.. or a different issue. My driver needed an update so I updated, but didn't help.

My Rig:

GPU: GeForce GT 640

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E7400 @2.80GHz

Memory: 4.00GB

Resolution: 1920x1080, 60Hz

This was just taken from the NVIDIA GeForce Experience thing, if you need specific info let me know and I will try to find it.

My computer is old and I can hardly play any games dated past 2012 (lol.) But usually Skyrim, F3, and FNV I am able to play very well with ENBs and high texture packs. Also, I've been facing really bad FPS drops lately in Skyrim, I am lucky to clock 10FPS inside and out. It was never this bad before and I had many more mods, textures, and a powerful ENB - all which have been removed now. Maybe my computer is mad because Skyrim doesn't look good anymore so it shuts itself down on me? xD

If anyone can help thanks,

LT

Your computer is old, as you said, and they don't last forever. Changes happen, so even if you usually play skyrim all the time, doesn't mean you will be able to do that for much longer if you are forcing it on a low-end computer. Most likely your computer is overheating (you should get a temperature monitor software if your computer doesn't allow you to see it yourself, google for this). Once it overheats, it will reboot or just shutdown.

If your temperatures turn out fine, then you should check your system logs. Accessing these logs is different from OS to OS, so again, google for that. Your random reboots are a hardware issue not skyrim or nexus. While you're at it, do your checks with viruses and spyware and other bloat things. I'm pretty sure this is just your computer dying, though.

Alright thanks for the info I will do that, makes since now never thought of overheating - my computer isn't even a gaming computer on top of being old :D. I kind of figured it was just dying in the end, but just wanted to make sure before I shell out money for a new comupter. :P

Best of luck! I had the same issue with an older computer that I used when I was a kid, before I built my own. It was a family integrated PC so it was very much not a gaming computer. Overheating was a big problem for it once it reached 5 years old, could never play games on it anymore because of the CPU reaching almost boiling point, so it would keep rebooting. You should monitor it's temperatures with your OS or a program just to be sure that it's overheating, though.