Tangled Webs - An Elder Scrolls RP

darkedge42392

Mjaska Red-Feather & Tadrinas: Daggerfall, High Rock - Tavern

Mjaska stood to find the woman whose meal she'd destroyed clutching a pair of ethereal blades with a mountain lion familiar standing at her side. She was going to make a comment on the woman's reaction being rather extreme over a bowl of stew, but barely had time to duck under the swing of one of the Nord sailors - now armed with a table leg. Mjaska charged into his midsection and powered through a small group of brawling bretons until both her and her oafish kinsman slammed into the bar. Before he could recover, Mjaska gave the man a stern punch to the man's temple. The blow made the sailor go limp, finally knocked out and pacified.

Tadrinas righted himself and downed the gifted shot with gusto. "Much obliged, Dunmer!" He called to the now embattled Dark Elf. Seeing one of the Nords about to club the unaware Dunmer from behind with a chair, Tadrinas reacted quickly and belted the shotglass at the lout's head. The glass shattered upon connecting with the Nord's cheek, and he abandoned his attack in favor of grasping his now bleeding face. Meanwhile, Tadrinas sprinted toward the man, using one of the few still standing tables as a springboard to leap onto the Nord with all the force is lithe frame could muster. It was enough to take the Nord down, and he fell unconscious after hitting his head against the floor with a loud thud.

The fourth Nord now stood alone, battered and bloody after taking blows from each present adventurer save the Elven-clad woman and the robed Dunmer. Despite his dwindled odds, the brute showed no signs of accepting defeat.

"I'm going to wipe this whole damn place with your ugly faces!" The Nord yelled, still full of drunken courage.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Mjaska picked up a table leg and walked up behind the Nord. She swung hard sideways, and the man crumpled onto the ground. He was still conscious, but only barely - his fighting done. "Sons of netches, having nothing better to do than choke little women..." Mjaska muttered bitterly as she set about dragging her beaten kinsmen outside. After she tossed the last one out the door, Mjaska approached everyone, briefly glancing at the roughed up Bretons picking themselves up off the floor. "The guards will see them eventually." She said plainly.

Katarin Maelle, Daggerfall, High Rock - Tavern

As the fight came to a close, Katarin lamented that her empty threat had done absolutely nothing to stop the idiotic brawl. Her blades promptly dissolved in her hands and her cat vanished into thin air. The dejected Breton found herself standing alone in the broken remains of her table, her ruined stew and ale puddled around her feet. Sighing in irritation, she resolved that she could not find warm food and a bit of quiet here - and that it would be rude to impose more upon the flustered barkeep and waitresses; she fished around in her purse for a few septims, stepped over broken furniture and bodies to get to the bar, let the coins fall on the counter and headed towards the door to don her still-damp cloak. Then, turning back to address the seemingly happy victors of the fight, she gave them a polite smile.

"Well, now. Since the peace has been properly disturbed and the guards will no doubt be here soon enough, I will be taking my leave of this unfortunate disaster. Good day."

Baltis Arendus, Daggerfall, High Rock - Tavern

As the main antagonizers were shown the way out by the dwemer-clad Nord woman, every thing seemed to begin to settle down as the adrenaline wore off. Most of the squabbles had been settled, and it seemed the people who had rushed to the maid's aid, himself included, were about the only ones in any kind of shape to stand and walk about. The Breton who had summoned the cougar declared she would be leaving. Baltis thought it a prudent measure.

He walked over to the bar and reached over the counter for his cloak, "Indeed, the guards won't care who started the brawl or who won it, they'll jail us all the same if we're still here. I for one am not one to squander the opportunity to avoid the lockup when given the chance. I suggest anyone else who can leave do the same." He made his way towards the doorway and the Breton woman, "If you care for some more sober company, I'm headed to the lodge I'm staying at where the drink does not flow nearly so freely, but the food is much better." He turned and flashed a smile towards the tavern owner, "No offense, my friend, you do what you must."

As Baltis headed outside he looked up and noticed the rain had stopped. He almost lost his footing in his distraction, the cobbles were still a bit treacherous. At least they could only get easier to deal with. He began to make his way North through the city towards a slightly less tourist filled district and his inn.

Varys Sul, Daggerfall, High Rock

Varys nodded in agreement with the other Dunmer's words. Leaving would be a wise idea. The high of the fight had worn off and he realized how his face ached now. He glanced to Adrynn, who had finished his wine in the aftermath of the brawl. The older Dunmer was leaning against the bar, his cup hanging loosely in his hand. He smiled and nodded to the door.

"Get going, Varys. I do believe you've found your opportunity," Adrynn said, a smile peeking through his beard. "I'll stay here and help with the clean up."

Varys started to reply, perhaps to beseech Adrynn to accompany him still, but nodded and gathered his cloak from the table. He went back to the barkeep, tossed him a handful of septims from his coinpurse, and retrieved his weapons from behind the bar. He quickly belted his sword around his waist and slid his knife into his boot, before grabbing his spear and heading for the door. Adrynn's voice brought him up short though.

"Do keep me informed, Varys. I'll be around if you need some advice," Adrynn chuckled, sipping on another glass of wine. Varys nodded quietly and made his way out the door.

Thankfully, the rain had stopped, though Varys found the smooth cobblestones a harrowing distraction as he stepped onto them and went skidding and fighting to keep his footing. He planted the butt of his spear into the ground and gingerly stepped forward, using his spear as a walking staff to make sure his feet didn't fly out from under him. He would have to find a cobbler soon to drive nails into his boots so he would have better footing. Taking each step with care, he followed the dark cloaked Dunmer from before, hoping that he perhaps had found the companions for his hunt.

Mjaska Red-Feather & Tadrinas: Daggerfall, High Rock - Tavern

Mjaska's and Tadrinas's looks shifted between the destroyed furniture and the livid owner and staff. Mjaska was now a fair bit more sober than she was before the fight, and she felt awful about all the collateral damage the brawl had caused. She sullenly approached the counter and emptied her coinpurse of quite a bit more than the cost of her meal. "I'm sorry about the trouble. I wish there was more I could do." She said before turning away to leave.

Tadrinas also dumped his meal's cost onto the counter plus a little extra. "There ya go, folks. Hire someone to fix this place up, 'cause...damn." He said in a very poor attempt at lightening the mood. He then fell in behind Mjaska, and the pair exited the tavern together.

The owner and staff had been silent while the two were there, too shocked to do anything more than stare with wide, frightened eyes. Afterward, they began to sob in despair as they sadly began the long process of cleaning up the mess.

Having nothing better to do than follow their fellow brawlers to wherever they were headed, Mjaska and Tadrinas decided to tail the bonemold-clad Dunmer. Once again, the city's wet cobblestones made the affair more of a skate than a walk.

Katarin Maelle, Daggerfall, High Rock

Katarin watched as the darkly-garbed Dunmer who had spoken to her strode off, trying not to slip on the still-damp cobbles. When she had left the tavern, she really had no idea where she was going to go, only that it was going to be away from this chaotic mess...and perhaps these chaotic people. But since he had offered to let her tag along - and he seemed to know of a place that attracted less trouble than this seedy hole - the Breton decided to follow him, albeit at a distance. She noticed that one of the other Dunmer, the Nord woman who had crashed into her table, and the flying Bosmer had chosen to come along as well. Fighting hard to keep from rolling her eyes and biting her tongue to keep from saying anything offensive, she kept her head down and her eyes on her feet.

Baltis Arendus, Daggerfall, High Rock

Baltis lead through group through the city with ever surer footing as the cobbles began to dry. Thank the Nine it's not freezing today. They arrived in a much more residential part of the city with townhouses and upper class homes. Smoke whisped up from some of the chimneys, Baltis gestured to a larger building. "That my weary combatants, is the Suckling Pig, one of the finest establishments I've found in this city." A sign hung above the door depicting a boar asleep in a mass of hay with an apple in its mouth. Baltis opened the inn door and held it for his companions. Inside the fire was burning merrily in a large fireplace. There were only a few tables, but they were empty. There was a small bar with bottles of wine and a few casks of ale and mead. A large boar's head was on a plaque behind the barkeep who was idly cleaning glasses and dusting some of the more venerable vintages.

Only a few travelers were at any of the tables. A woman in a leather coat sat at one table by herself, sipping wine, a couple sat at another talking quietly over a meal.

=================================================================

Ascienne Motierre, Daggerfall, High Rock - The Suckling Pig

Ascienne barely looked up when the door opened. She wasn't surprised to see Baltis the one opening it, what she was surprised to see was the group of battered people he was holding the door open for. It was an odd lot, another Dunmer, a Nord, A Bosmer and a Breton battlemage. When they sat down she rose and walked over towards Baltis, "And who are these poor souls who had the misfortune of running into you?" She smirked. "It's a rare sight to see Baltis Arendus making friends" she laughed slightly.

Baltis laughed along with her, "These fine folk and I have just returned from a bit of a fight. A cur started a brawl at another bar, we figured it was best to avoid the guards, and so here we are."

Although she teased him, Baltis was one of Ascienne's few friends. The two had met when she was trying to peddle some of her dungeon findings in Riften. Baltis apparently liked her quick wit and helped her get a good deal. As much of a scoundrel as he was, he could be kind and generous when he wanted to be. At one point maybe he was in the business for the money, but now he lived only for fun and impulse.

Varys Sul, Daggerfall, High Rock - The Suckling Pig

Varys found a seat at the table offered by the other Dunmer, Baltis. For some reason, that name was tickling the back of his mind. It was familiar, though he didn't know where or why now of all times his mind decided to bring it up. He pushed it aside and momentarily studied the newest arrival to their little group of brawlers. She seemed fairly ordinary for a Breton woman, except the shine of her sharp green eyes. Even in the dim light of the tavern, they were bright and clear.

He gave a small nod to her and leaned back his chair, resting it on the back two legs, while using his spear as a countermeasure to tipping all the way back. He rubbed his busted lip with his thumb and checked for blood. It was there, but drying quickly. He ran his tongue across his teeth to check for any loosening of them, but thankfully they were all still there. He was glad for that. His teeth were something he prized still keeping after his years of training.

He let his chair back down onto its legs and smiled momentarily, the excitement of the fight returning at the mention of it from Baltis to his friend.

"Well, always better to have a good thrashing to those who deserve it while remaining free to do it again, aye?" Varys said, chuckling. He rested his spear against the wall behind him and leaned forward, clasping his hands together and leaning on his elbows.

"Though my question is this. What do we do now that we're all together?" He glanced around for a moment before continuing. "I was at that tavern because I had received summons from one of the nobles of this city, to hunt down a particular artifact and see it destroyed."

He glanced around quickly. "That artifact is the reason why these nightmares are plaguing everyone here. I know you all know what I am saying. From Farrun to here in Daggerfall, and from Wayrest to Northpoint, I know that these nightmares have been occurring." Varys reached into his pack and pulled out the pamphlet of reports that Sir Michel had given him before laying them on the table. "I'm telling you all this because I unfortunately have no experience in this area, and being an outlander to High Rock, I do not know the terrain or enemies as much as I would like." He glanced between the two Bretons there. "That, and you were all so ready to help me defend a defenseless woman, and I hope that perhaps you may be willing to help me once more in this endeavor."

Varys hoped his words would persuade these brave people to come with him.

"I know that the nightmares are strongest in Wayrest, and most reports seem to say that Vaermina's temple is in the Wrothgarian Mountains to the north there. I'm going there tomorrow, and by the Three, I will see these accursed nightmares stopped." He reached one last time into his pack and pulled out the forward payment he had already been given by Sir Michel and dropped it on top of the report papers. "This is half of the due payment. The other half is to be given upon completion of the task. For those of you who seek coin, I'm willing to split the payment evenly if you take part." He let his eyes fall on Baltis and Ascienne here. "As for the others, any spoils or treasure we find are yours, as long as we can see this damned artifact destroyed."

Varys leaned back into his chair and looked around the table one last time. "So what do you say? Who's coming with me?"

Mjaska Red-Feather & Tadrinas: Daggerfall, High Rock - The Suckling Pig

Mjaska had never been hard to persuade when it came to money, and after dealing with the Forsworn for several years, she reckoned she had seen just about the most savage kind of mortalkind that inhabited the continent. She definitely needed the coin with her appetite for food and all the gear she needed to get repaired, but far stronger was her hunger for adventure. She hadn't been doing anything else interesting for the past couple of months, and so her choice was an easy one.

"I will come along with you, Varys. I've got nothing better to do, and I haven't had a good adventure in a while." Mjaska said, stepping forward.

Tadrinas was silent while he listened to Varys's speech. The coin was tempting, as the small stash he had taken with him when he first left Bruma had dried up long ago. While he had committed thefts before for payment, it wasn't his only source of income. He had done plenty of honest work like woodcutting and stable cleaning. He only took thievery jobs that came with a payment he considered to be worth the risk - not that he disliked the rush that the possibility of getting got provided. He wasn't going to risk jail time for twenty drakes. Like Mjaska, he had a certain hunger for adventure, and this opportunity seemed like the perfect way to line his pockets and see some intriguing sights. He could tell everyone that had participated in the tavern brawl was a capable fighter, so he didn't feel like there would be much chance of them all buckling under pressure should they band together.

"Things have been fairly dull for me lately, and this seems like just the thing to change that. Plus, the money wouldn't be bad. I'm in." Tadrinas said.

================================================

Chaldier Dorlaine Marczon: Daggerfall, High Rock - The Suckling Pig

Chaldier sat up in his bed and sleepily rubbed his eyes. He had needed a nap after staying up all last night organizing his notes and writing down theories, and he definitely felt refreshed now. He also felt hungry, and so he decided to head downstairs for dinner. After making sure all of his research was safely packed away, he grabbed his sword and exited his room.

As he descended the stairs, Chaldier noticed a peculiar bunch of people gathered in one area. Particularly strange were the women in Dwemeri and Elven armor and the Dunmer wearing bonemold. He also spotted the bag of money Varys had laid out. If they were a group of adventurers having just come off of a mission, the payment seemed hardly large enough to satisfy everyone once divided, and so Chaldier figured that whoever had produced it was giving a taste of how lucrative some upcoming task would be. Not curious enough to risk a broken nose in case they were the brutish type, Chaldier kept his interest to himself and approached the bar. After ordering some beef and vegetables, he struck up a conversation with the barkeep to pass the time.

Katarin Maelle, Daggerfall, High Rock - The Suckling Pig

Katarin's mouth dropped open as the Dunmer made his speech.

This was it. This was the chance for her to prove herself outside of academia. This was the adventure she had been seeking. Somehow, this Dunmer knew the source of these terrible nightmares that had been plaguing her people, something she had indeed had a hunch about, but had yet to be be able to prove...

"You seek a solution to the same problem that I do," she finally spoke up, "I will join you."

She had her doubts about the others who offered to help him, though, and she hoped she wouldn't end up regretting her decision...