Regarding Google Earth

templeofninpo

I am about to set out on my second quest mod. I intend on going through my town (Victoria, BC) on Google Earth and taking pictures of all the streets in street view then putting them on billboards and lining them up in a world space to make a 'virtual' Victoria, with doors and such that will lead to cells.

That said, I was just perusing Google Earth and its pretty good. If it was free and promoted the use of Google Earth it could not be that difficult to convert it straight across to the GECK... could it?

To note, here are Google's Permissions for Google Earth- http://www.google.ca/permissions/geoguidelines.html

It is permissable with attribution and non-commercial use.

This may seem counter-intuitive, but you don't want your game world to be too realistic. If you want to know why, take a walk through your town. I mean literally, walk through your entire town. What you'll find is that you walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and most of what you walk past isn't interesting.

What you want to do when you take a real place and put it into the GECK is make a compressed version of the real place that captures the essence of the place without actually capturing all of the detail. You don't want every single street and house. Compare Goodsprings in the GECK with the actual Goodsprings on google maps (or google earth). Notice how much smaller the game version is.

NO. No. I wasn't planning on the whole town. More like a couple 3 block radius-es. Its just fantasy at this point. Unless you are referring to my idea for billboards with pics of city buildings- if that happens it will be in a psychedelic dream state allowing for whatever borderline lore-unfriendliness.

Have you seen the google earth thing... its not too photo-realistic in close at a tilt, but still pretty amazing.

...having slight issue with posting images here...

Edited by templeofninpo