I feel like I'm punished for exploring...

brandonb1218

I'm finding the game just right. I know that I am not a tank. I pick my fights carefully. I go around guys that I don't think I can handle. I sneak a lot. By Level 8 I had a rifle with a nightscope and silencer and it helps even the odds. I bought those modifications off merchants.

One thing I have noticed is that in the NV system, robotics, repair, survival skills are very important.

After wild animals killed my best friend (I got away) I grabbed that animal friend perk.

I play hard core at normal difficulty and have had no trouble with flies. Level 12 now and none of my combat skills are above 30. Science is 70, repair and survival are 60. Everything else is pretty low.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some difficulties while I'm dealing with mobs.

the worst mobs I think is tiny THINGS. I CAN'T AIM THE FXXKIN' GUN CORRECTLY CAUSE THET'RE TOO FXXKIN' SMALL!!!

... sorry if i said something violent. anyway, I love to play with ranged attacks, but because of that, my ammunition runs out too fast. T_T

the worst mobs I think is tiny THINGS. I CAN'T AIM THE FXXKIN' GUN CORRECTLY CAUSE THET'RE TOO FXXKIN' SMALL!!

Yeah, it makes sense though, have you ever tried to shoot a small animal on the move? It's not easy. I just pull out a cleaver or something and have some fun with the small mobs.

I'm running into the opposite problem - I'm finding the game extremely easy. There was only one situation I ran into that was difficult beyond comprehension, and that was just north of Goodspring where I ran into some giant flies/bees. Those things just wouldn't die and took no damage from my crappy weapons. So, I went south of Goodspring. Everything in that direction is a joke and I'm swimming in caps/weapons/armor and anything else that has no weight and can sub for money (since all the merchants literally have no caps or no weight items left).

I never really have a problem with caps, ammo, etc. It's that I can't kill things fast enough, and most of the time I get blindsided and I run for my life. Stupid (giant) radscorpions, those flies (not bloat flies, the other ones) and fire geckos. It would be fine if these things didn't travel in packs, but they all do. I can't fend off 3 or 4 of those at one time.

My big issue with Fallout New Vegas is that it's mostly empty. Yes, there's lots of places to explore on the map... but everywhere between those places is vacant.

In Fallout 3, you could pick a random direction, start walking and you'd find stuff. Burned out towns, a farm, a dock, raider bases, a merchant under a bridge, an old building booby-trapped to hell with some supplies in the back, a shack under a bridge... stuff that isn't 'on the map' but is still fun to explore.

Great example: The hastily made fallout shelters you tracked down by radio signal. All that you'd find was an old repeating message asking for help and some dead bodies, maybe a few supplies... but that was AWESOME. It was incredibly mood-setting and drew you into the game. New Vegas doesn't have anything like that.

While the Mojave desert is 'technically' "Just as big as the DC wasteland", it's empty. Kinda like comparing "Anarchy Online" to "World of Warcraft." While Anarchy Online may have a game world "Three times bigger", 90% of it is flat terrain with a repeating texture. And that's what the Mojave desert starts to feel like... flat terrain with a repeating texture.

SUMMARY : If fast travel was enabled to any spot you've been told about... you wouldn't miss much in New Vegas. In Fallout 3, half the fun was between the waypoints on the map.

I'm running into the opposite problem - I'm finding the game extremely easy. There was only one situation I ran into that was difficult beyond comprehension, and that was just north of Goodspring where I ran into some giant flies/bees. Those things just wouldn't die and took no damage from my crappy weapons. So, I went south of Goodspring. Everything in that direction is a joke and I'm swimming in caps/weapons/armor and anything else that has no weight and can sub for money (since all the merchants literally have no caps or no weight items left).

Actually the Devs don't really wan't you going north directly to Vegas thats why they put those super hard impossible to kill mobs there. Remember Sunny Smiles and Trudy in particular tell you Not to go north up I-15

My big issue with Fallout New Vegas is that it's mostly empty. Yes, there's lots of places to explore on the map... but everywhere between those places is vacant.

In Fallout 3, you could pick a random direction, start walking and you'd find stuff. Burned out towns, a farm, a dock, raider bases, a merchant under a bridge, an old building booby-trapped to hell with some supplies in the back, a shack under a bridge... stuff that isn't 'on the map' but is still fun to explore.

Great example: The hastily made fallout shelters you tracked down by radio signal. All that you'd find was an old repeating message asking for help and some dead bodies, maybe a few supplies... but that was AWESOME. It was incredibly mood-setting and drew you into the game. New Vegas doesn't have anything like that.

While the Mojave desert is 'technically' "Just as big as the DC wasteland", it's empty. Kinda like comparing "Anarchy Online" to "World of Warcraft." While Anarchy Online may have a game world "Three times bigger", 90% of it is flat terrain with a repeating texture. And that's what the Mojave desert starts to feel like... flat terrain with a repeating texture.

SUMMARY : If fast travel was enabled to any spot you've been told about... you wouldn't miss much in New Vegas. In Fallout 3, half the fun was between the waypoints on the map.

Locations is a huge difference between Capital wasteland and New Vegas. Capital Wasteland is the rubble of a huge city, and much more densely populated that Southern Nevada . I live in Las Vegas and believe me outside of the valley there is not much out there, very barren and desolate. So I'm not surprised that there is a lot more empty space in New Vegas the FO3.

I definetly believe the devs are "nudging" u to go south initially it also seems to me that they tweaked a few creatures from fo3... i.e. deathclaws + giant radscorpions were big trouble if u were under lvl 10 or so in fo3. In fnv if i see one of those 2 big bastids my poor lvl8 gal calmly holsters her weapon.... then runs like hell!!! They just take to much (low lvl) ammo to put down. On a side note i wanna know which dev put a ghoul reaver just southwest of goodsprings... bastid.

EXactly, we were specifically warned about going north.

Early in the game your story is meant to lead you North, but only eventually.It'd be too easy just be able to get through the desert like that:) I like the challenge.

While I do not agree with how unbalanced the creatures can be, it's a great thing that you have to be afraid of giant scorpions etc.

It resembles more a survival game this way.

If you're finding it too easy:

1. Set it to VH.

2. Go to Goodsprings Graveyard.

3. Go north and hope the cazadors are there so you can give em the ol' pool-cue beatdown.

:D

If you're finding it too hard:

1. Be paranoid (and careful).

2. Be paranoid (and if you aren't the stealth&sniping type, be 3x more paranoid).

3. ?????

4. Crouch.

:D

...I think endless days of playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC with realism/+difficulty mods has jaded my concept of sandbox fps 'difficulty' >.>.