I feel like I'm punished for exploring...

brandonb1218

i also had so had some problem with giant scorpions,they've killed me many times but if just started to stick to the roads when i was traveling from place to place, are much safer.Also i didnt do much of exploring i pretty much went directly to New Vegas (The Strip) where i could get loots of caps and good gears and i'm sure those giant scorpions are not a problem now.Also those scorpions are armored so u could use anti-armor ammo (didnt test it) but i've did some test with a plasma rifle on a sentry bot who is also armored and worked pretty well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I really could see how some would feel they are being punished for exploring because it definatly leave to road at your own risk. case in pint is I was heading from Prim to Nipton at night and I saw this huge grren cloud and got curios and was abushed by centaurs and super mutants. Lol

NV definitely has a higher difficulty curve than Fo3 had. Tough enemies seem to show up in groups more often... and it really, really pays to have a follower for them to go after. Rex and ED-E are essential by default; they're great choices for bait duty. Combine with explosives or other power weapons and profit. ED-E's enhanced sensors are also an absolute godsend for exploration. You might not always be able to avoid the really nasty stuff, but at least you can usually count on having the element of surprise... go into sneak the moment red shows up on the compass and use something with zoom to pinpoint the threat. The key to successful and frustration-free exploration is to maintain your situational awareness and never rush into combat unless you're confident that you can win.

I'm just thankful that Albino Radscorpions and Feral Ghoul Reavers don't seem to be in attendance this time (unless I've just been lucky so far). Some stupidly aggravating baddies, those two. Giant Scorpies and Cazadores are more than irritating enough.

NV definitely has a higher difficulty curve than Fo3 had. Tough enemies seem to show up in groups more often... and it really, really pays to have a follower for them to go after. Rex and ED-E are essential by default; they're great choices for bait duty. Combine with explosives or other power weapons and profit. ED-E's enhanced sensors are also an absolute godsend for exploration. You might not always be able to avoid the really nasty stuff, but at least you can usually count on having the element of surprise... go into sneak the moment red shows up on the compass and use something with zoom to pinpoint the threat. The key to successful and frustration-free exploration is to maintain your situational awareness and never rush into combat unless you're confident that you can win.

I'm just thankful that Albino Radscorpions and Feral Ghoul Reavers don't seem to be in attendance this time (unless I've just been lucky so far). Some stupidly aggravating baddies, those two. Giant Scorpies and Cazadores are more than irritating enough.

your just lucky, i saw a thread from one player who ran into one just SW of goodsprings

Three mobs I HATE going against

Cazadors: If Bloatflies and Giant Radscorpions had babies D=

Rattlewolves (Night Stalkers): Almost as bad as the wasps.

Deathclaws: For obvious reasons.

Though I do love the new chems they added. Go myself the All American rifle (Vault 34, all I'm saying) and I decided to give this scoped beauty a test run. So booked it over to the concentration camp with the Powder Gangers, took up a spot on the big'ol hill in front of the jail, and took aim. Problem was, the scope was shaking, then I remembered that I had pretty much stockpiled a good number of that "Steady" drug, so I took a dose and checked the scope again. No sway, no waver, nothing. So I started picking guys off left and right, then a few started coming through the gate. So I tapped VATS to see if I could even hit them, and lo' and behold, 95% hit on everything, max VATS distance while under the effects of Steady.

Also, Turbo = Bullet time

Bullet time + Lever Action Shotgun + Magnum Buckshot vs Deathclaw = wreck face

There is...one reaver that I've encountered. Though it was a named mob. And it went down without any issues from fire from myself and Boone at like level 12.

I'm with the OP on this one - Putting the starting town right next to the main plot point and then blocking it off with mobs that are impossible to take on when first starting out is really not a pleasant game layout. Putting high-level mobs right next to the starting area is never a good layout, really. Especially since I then went south, got a bunch of quests to go way up north, and couldn't do them. I loved FO3 because once you left the vault, all you had was, "Well, I need to find my dad." From there you could go pretty much anywhere you wanted, skip half the storyline by accident, and be none the wiser. The only times where you had almost-assured death were going to the deathclaw-infested town in the northeast and such, and even then you generally had enough warning that you could get away. NV has been a lot of traveling down rocky corridors only to find a battalion of giant radscorpions, or a deathclaw, or some other nasty baddy waiting for you.

I think the pinnacle of this was when I tried going east of Goodsprings past the Yangste memorial and encountered an immortal giant radscorpion. He had 0 health when I arrived and I couldn't kill him.

I really don't have problems exploring. I chose a female character this time and I always go heavy on speech. That being said I think I would have problems but what I do early on is spend some significant points in guns early on. Less wasted ammo, more accurate shots, better results. If your going exploring at an early stage you have to prepare somehow. I have also used the binoculars I got "preorder" thing and scouted ahead. I take a wide swing on stuff I want to avoid. Next thing is pay attention to what they tell you in game. If they say it's bad that way I will wait a little. Another tactic was that I used the incinerator to get them burning before I started shooting at them. Dynamite was also a good tool as I had a lot and it does damage. It was also handy for setting off mines as I had no explosive skill and they are almost impossible to disarm without some skill level. Keep moving and don't take damage in face to face unless your melee of course.

Im lvl 6 and I picked up the early quests but ended up not doing most of them till just yesterday opting to head to Primm and quest over in that area at levels 2-5. It worked out ok. I like to do that to see if how the game reacts to me missing main story lines early on the coming back to them. LOL

Now, anyone get an apartment yet ? I desprately need a storage depot , lol