Heavy Traffic ×

FAQS

Fraktyl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seemed like the proper place to ask mod-related questions, so hopefully someone could help me out.

I'm fairly new to using mods, but I've been browsing the site for quite a bit and I've seen a bunch that I'm interested in.

My question is this: What affect does installing mods have on the main game? For instance, things like earning achievements, or future DLC. I'm only on my 2nd playthrough of New Vegas at the moment and I wasn't sure how much mods had an effect on the achievement system, or considering we are due for a DLC release soon, if they would effect any future game additions.

Also, considering it's impossible to play the game after the end of the main story unlike Fallout 3 (post Broken Steel), am I better off just waiting until I've fully used up New Vegas before installing any mods to it. If so, would I be better off searching the Fallout 3 Nexus for Fallout 3 mods to expand that game since I am capable of playing after the main story is long complete.

As I said, I'm fairly new to mods, but I've seen a lot of great work and I'm eager to expand my game experience. I just don't want to ruin my current games as well.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1st off, i would prefer an answer from an administrator, ok, i have a mod that i had to convert from fo3 to fnv, bcuz i could no longer find the original, i could only find the fo3 version, the mod was for personal use only and to clarify it was just a regular non adult armor mod. now, the author is no longer on the site and there were rumors as to why, with that said i do have permission to upload and share this mod and use it in my mods from 1 of the 2 authors involved, but, he isnt on the nexus and i dont think he ever was, so can i upload the mod?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to the computer gaming world and am thinking about getting Fallout New Vegas for the PC (windows 7 specifically). I am wondering what the dangers of using mods on my computer are. Can it just mess with it a bit? Cause the game to crash or the whole computer? And if so how many mods must be running? My mom won't want me running mods if it is a danger to our computer

And also I haven't read very much but how hard/easy is it in install and use (or uninstall and never use again) mods?

Thanks you in advance for answering these questions.

I was wondering Is it possible to have your game crash if you use too many mods?

i only ask cause my game has been doing it a lot lately, crashing that is

The technical maximum is around 99 but you'll probably end up with crashing much earlier because of erroneous mods or mods incompatibility.

Try deactivating some mods and see if it gets better.

Generally dont install more than one mod at the time and check if your game still runs before you install the next one

Hello, I am new to the computer gaming world and am thinking about getting Fallout New Vegas for the PC (windows 7 specifically). I am wondering what the dangers of using mods on my computer are. Can it just mess with it a bit? Cause the game to crash or the whole computer? And if so how many mods must be running? My mom won't want me running mods if it is a danger to our computer

And also I haven't read very much but how hard/easy is it in install and use (or uninstall and never use again) mods?

Thanks you in advance for answering these questions.

Installing mods is quite easy with Fallout Mod Manager.

You can mess with it, all that can happen is your game crashing to the desktop.

The mod themself are no danger for your computer, they only might crash the game but not your computer. It's only harmful when you start kicking your machine (your harddrives hate that) when it crashed the Xth time ;)

Just stick to the Nexus when downloading mods and don't download any executables (.exe files) from dubious sources and you're save :)

1st off, i would prefer an answer from an administrator, ok, i have a mod that i had to convert from fo3 to fnv, bcuz i could no longer find the original, i could only find the fo3 version, the mod was for personal use only and to clarify it was just a regular non adult armor mod. now, the author is no longer on the site and there were rumors as to why, with that said i do have permission to upload and share this mod and use it in my mods from 1 of the 2 authors involved, but, he isnt on the nexus and i dont think he ever was, so can i upload the mod?

you need to have permission from all involved authors and must be able to provide proof when asked. simple as that.