Before uninstalling a mod, you need to clean your game from it!

Go to any place, drop on the floor or put on a respawning container all the items in your inventory that came from the mod, and then go to a faraway place, one untouched by this mod (ideally Hawkhaven). Then save the game there and without moving your character, exit the game.

Deactivate, but don't uninstall, the mod in question. Open the game, load the save at Hawkhaven, ignore the warning about lost files, DO NOT MOVE YOUR CHARACTER when the savegame has loaded, SAVE AGAIN IN A NEW SLOT. Exit the game.

Uninstall the mod.

Open the game, load the new savegame, note that there are no more loose files warnings. move your character around, SAVE IN A NEW SLOT.

Wait 72 in-game hours to force cells to respawn. SAVE AGAIN IN A NEW SLOT. Now play normally.

You obviously stayed in the same cell when uninstalled the mod, and most likely had still equipment from the mod in your inventory. This is why your game CTDs on load, due missing dependencies in the savegame. You need to re-install the mod in order to be able to load the game. Or alternatively, load a savegame created BEFORE you installed the mod.

About saving your play, never use the Autosave key, nor overwrite previous savegames. Save always manually in a new slot.

Cheers!

Thank you VERY much! Could you answer a few more questions?

A) you said I have to save the game in a new slot every time - saving the game in a new slot is important I presume? And I have to save it in a new slot the first time too, haven't I? (You didn't mention it in your instructions)

B) you said I have to wait 72 hours - must I let the game run for the whole time or can I use the "Wait" option?

Of course you can ask any question you have. Let's see.

Yes, it's important to use a new slot to save as often as possible. When you save just because you have played for a little bit, you can overwrite your previous save if you want, but if you save before doing something important, save in a new slot. Saving in a new slot the first time it's important, yes.

New slots are important because if your current savegame gets corrupted, you will always have a reliable prior savegame to use and resume your game. So, get used to save in a new slot, forget the quicksave key or Autosave mods, every time you're about to perform an important action, and also after successfully completing it.

Yes, you can use the "Wait" option, T key, to let the game pass 72 in-game hours. NO need to let the game running for three whole days, my goodness.

Cheers!

The game crash before reaching the main menu or while loading the save?

In the first case, you have a missing master and you need to fix your load order.

In the second case, it could be a savegame corruption: try start a new game and see if you get the CTD.

CTD is Crash to Desktop

When you uninstall a mod and load the save game, the game try to clean and restore the data before loading.

If a new game run fine, then the save game fail to clean the data while loading.

Could you try loading the game from the new game?

I mean: start a new game, then from there load the save game. If it loads, save on a new slot, then exit to main menu (even better: exit from Oblivion) and try load this save game you just created.

Sometimes it works, and allow you to recover a save game (even if some kind of corruption still exists).

Edited by forli