WHAT THE HELL MAN??!

Matt6sic6

Alright, this is seriously pissing me off! I've spent all day working on a large mod, building custom guns and armors etc, porting some helmets and stuff in etc...

I was testing out the AoT Masks in game, and I figured as much that they wouldn't show up in game correctly, going the whole 90 degree angle route... Well, I did what everyone has been told to do in Fallout 3 - Open the GECK, Go the Character, and select the "Update FaceGen Model Availiability" option.

Good news is, now the AoT masks display correctly,

Bad news is - EVERY SINGLE OTHER PIECE OF HEADGEAR IS NOW AT A 90 DEGREE ANGLE!

This "Fix" Broke my mod, and seems to be irreversible, I have no idea what to do. I SERIOUSLY don't want to have to re-do all of the work I've done today over this. I'm begging for some kind of help here, PLEASE!

Yikes, no good.

I found last night that hairstyles won't work at all unless they are in a .bsa archive. I wonder if the same won't be true of headwear for now?

I think a test for fixing this without you rebuilding your mod might look like this:

I'm not entirely sure where the problem is. Try placing your headgear in a .bsa archive, and remove the loose files from the game dir.

I haven't checked out FNVEdit, since it's still a bit new. It may be able to help clean out the facegen .egm records, maybe the GECK overwrote the other records with blanks or somesuch, not sure. (I can't remember the name for this record offhand, sorry.)

I took your advice and opened it up in FNVEdit, and sure enough, when opening up the tree and viewing a headgear, the MODD FaceGen Model Flag was blanked out in my mod. I simply selected the one from the FalloutNV.esm and drug it to the appropriot slot in my mod, saved, and then tested it out in game and the headgear that I messed with is now showing up correctly.

So, word of advice to everyone, unless you want to have to go through all this, DO NOT toggle the Update FaceGen Model Availiablity in the GECK until a patch is released to fix this problem, it does in fact blank every headgear's FaceGen Flag out!

I'm sorry if I was a little vague in my fix for this problem. I'll try to explain it a bit more, and easier in a step by step process. This might get a little long but I'll try to keep it as simple as possible, I'll also send you a screen shot picture of what to do.

First download FNVEdit, and load the mod and only the mod that is causing the 90 degree problem. (You can determine which mod is causing the problem by loading each mod you have installed via trial and error, one at a time until you narrow it down.)

On the left side of the screen after you load the problem mod in FNVEdit, you'll see several Data Structure trees. They should read like this:

[00] FalloutNV.esm

[00] FalloutNV.exe

[01] WhateverYouNamedYourProblemMod

Open the Data tree of your mod by clicking the little + Plus sign next to it. Scroll down and you'll see the "Armor Addon" and the "Armor" trees.

Let's start with the "Armor Addon". If you don't have an Armor Addon data tree, GOOD! That's less work you're going to have to do, but let's pretend that you do...

Open the Armor Addon tree and you'll see a list of some armor addon items, like "LucasSimmsHat" or "VaultSecurityHelmet"

Select one of these items by left clicking on it.

Now on the right side you should see 3 columns. At the top the first section will be blank, the 2nd will read "[00] FalloutNV.esm" and the 3rd will be the name of your messed up mod.

Any way, on the right side of the screen you'll see a whole bunch of data cells in the first column with stuff like "Record Header" "OBND - Object Bounds" etc.

Scroll down untill you see a section called "Male biped Model" In that section you will have a cell that reads "MODD - FaceGen Model Flags"

In the 2nd column next to this cell, it should say "Head"

In the 3rd column directly next to it, it will be blank.

You're going to want to select and drag the word "Head" from the 2nd column and drop it on the empty cell in the 3rd column - when you do this, you will get a Warning screen pop up asking if you're sure you want to do this, select "Yes" and poof, the word "Head" is now in the 3rd column like it is supposed to be.

If you don't want to bother with the whole dragging cells stuff, here is an alternate way. You can just right click on the empty cell, click "Add" and the right click on the empty cell again and click "Edit". You'll get a small window pop up that says "Edit Value" and will have a bunch of Zeros. Delete the zeros and simply type the number "1" and hit ok.

Now, some of these items have female model versions, like for instance the "Pre-War Bonnet"

You'll need to do the same thing you did in the "Male biped Model" section and do it in the "Female biped Model" section. Note that not all items have a "Female biped Model" section.

There. You've just fixed one of the items you had the 90 degree problem with. In order to save this, click the "X" in the top right of the window to close the window and you'll get a window asking you to save your mod.

Now you can fix the rest of the items in "Armor Addon" and "Armor"

Also note, that depending on what mesh you're trying to fix, setting the flag to "Head" may actually do the opposite of what I've just explained. For example, if you try to import a custom mesh into the game, like let's say the AoT Ballistic masks, setting the flag to "Head" will actually CAUSE it to be at a 90 degree angle, leaving it blank makes it fit correctly. The Vanilla meshes that come with the game though should 100% fix themselves by setting the flag to "Head". I think that the reason that the AoT mesh in particualr won't fix itself by having the flag set to "Head" is because it is a custom mesh, and the creator didn't create it in the same way the Vanilla meshes were made.

Now, I MUST WARN YOU, FNVEdit is a program in very early stages. Because of this, if you edit more than 1 item and try to save, you have a 50/50 chance and WILL get an error and won't be able to save your file. So I STRONGLY suggest fixing and saving one item at a time. This process will be long and time consuming because you will have to open and close FNVEdit a LOT of times depending on how many items are affected with the 90 degree problem.

Here is a quick screen shot that I promised in the beginning of what you need to "drag"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/matt6sic6/FNVEdit.jpg

I know this looks extremely complicated, but it really isn't. Good luck man, and please by all means if you need any more help, just send me another message, I'll try my best.

Now to see if a nub like me can do this :D I'll comment back when I have accomplished it.

Edit AGAIN: I've looked and it said that it was good but when I run it, norton says it's acting suspiciously. Any ideas on what to do?

Edited by kisori

Now to see if a nub like me can do this :D I'll comment back when I have accomplished it.

Edit AGAIN: I've looked and it said that it was good but when I run it, norton says it's acting suspiciously. Any ideas on what to do?

Norton is telling you it's acting suspiciously (as in virus)?

If so just ignore it.

Now I understand the whole hair thing has been mostly figured out, but has anybody figured any workarounds for getting custom hair to work properly with hats, conform to the head, etc.? This is my most annoying issue at the moment. I just can't seem to figure this one out. The hat thing I figured out on my own, but if someone could give me any ideas, that would be absolutely great!

:wallbash:

Your Norton is detecting it as a False Positive. A False Positive is identifying a file as a virus when it is not a virus. Either disable Norton while you work with FNVEdit, or muster your nerves and ignore it. Norton is notorious for False Positives.

If an antivirus program like Norton is configured to immediately delete or quarantine infected files (or does this by default), false positives in essential files can render the operating system or some applications unusable. For example, In May of 2007, a faulty virus signature issued by Symantec mistakenly removed essential operating system files, leaving thousands of PCs unable to boot.

Personally, I don't use Norton, or any of the commercial antivirus software, IE. Norton, McAfee etc. for just this reason alone.