Can't save scripts made in the GECK?!

RetroNutcase

Topic says it all. After making a request to fix a couple issues I had with Fallout NV's ammo crafting, I decided to fix it myself by working on my own mod to do such.

Then I figured, why stop there? As long as I'm making it possible to craft more kinds of ammo, why not throw some of my own into the mix? Unfortunately...That's where I hit trouble. I'm attempting to create a poison round that will be used by a unique .22 Silenced Pistol (Not sure what I'm gonna call it yet, part of me says Venomous .22, or something simpler like the ChemGun).

Currently, the idea is this, I create an effect (Enchantment type, to inflict poison and other conditions on the target), then have the ammo type perform a CIOS function (Cast Immediate on Self) as the impact script. I got the idea from .50 cal Incendiary Rounds which use a similar function to set the target on fire, by performing a CIOS via scripting that puts fire effects on the victim.

So, I wrote a script to perform this action, but...I can't save it. Literally, no matter what way I try to do it, clicking save, compiling scripts, closing and choosing the save...GECK will NOT save my script! And as a result, I'm stuck on crafting custom poison ammo for this weapon I'm working on until, well...I can actually get some help in figuring why I can't save my scripts. :/

That said, my goal with this weapon I'm including in my little ammo project is basically going to be a spiritual successor to Fallout 3's Dartgun, with a variety of poisons to make it a nice, multifunctional weapon for any assassin. Unfortunately, yeah....Can't save the darn scripts. Help?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I found out what is the trouble. GECK doesn't show any error messages anymore. So if your script contains an error you can't save it. This is not a very good move from Bethseda because working with scripts get's a lot harder. I verify this assumption in the moment.

Edit:

Yes that's the reason. If you got an error in a script you can't save it.

I get the same thing. My script is very simple, just add a spell on equip, my own nightvision goggles.

However it won't save, I tried looking at anothers, however when I open their script, it asks me to save before exiting, even though I haven't done anything to the script, so I do and it WON'T exit???

Clearly this script works otherwise it wouldn't have saved first time by the orginal Author?

I get the same thing. My script is very simple, just add a spell on equip, my own nightvision goggles.

However it won't save, I tried looking at anothers, however when I open their script, it asks me to save before exiting, even though I haven't done anything to the script, so I do and it WON'T exit???

Clearly this script works otherwise it wouldn't have saved first time by the orginal Author?

I just had a similiar problem with a script that had a REF in it, i had wrote the script but hadnt put the REF onto an object yet, once i had put REF on the object and rewrote the script from scratch it saved ok, as mentioned above if there is an error in the script the GECK doesnt report it so it just wont save.

This is my script, and it's as simple as it can get and it won't save, can anyone see a problem with it (apparently we need the commas in it after the Addspell):

SCN 000NightVisionX

Begin OnEquip
player.AddSpell, 000NightVisionFX
END

Begin OnUnequip
player.RemoveSpell, 000NightVisionFX
END

I Saw At least 3 errors

First, your script name is the same as your Item name.

Second and Three, player.addspell, ...

idem for removespell

Correct code:

ScriptName 000NightVisionXScript

Begin OnEquip
       player.AddSpell 000NightVisionFX
END

Begin OnUnequip
       player.RemoveSpell 000NightVisionFX
END

I have been trying to create a plugin that adds the newest version of a perk I created so that those who use it don't have to use console commands (and risk disabling achievements). I saw the FO3 GECK page that suggest this here:

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/AddPerk

The script they use is:

ScriptName MyPerkRemovalQuestScript

Begin GameMode
   player.RemovePerk MyExamplePerk
   StopQuest MyPerkRemovalQuest
End

I noticed that replacing my mod with the newer version already removed the old version from the character's list of perks, so I changed the script to read:

scn PerkUpScript

Begin GameMode
   player.addperk <perkHexID>
   StopQuest PerkUp
End

The GECK page doesn't say what type of script to make it, so I assumed it was "quest". When that didn't work, I tried saving it as all of the types. It still won't let me save it. Can anyone see the error in my script? Oh, and I used the Hex ID for the perk I made because New Vegas isn't recognizing Perk IDs. (For example, I open the console and type "player.addperk LadyKiller" and it fails, but using the Hex ID for Lady Killer works fine.) Thanks in advance.