NMM support for DA:I

16trysh

Unless and until there's a real Toolset to standardize how mods interact with the game, this is almost impossible. A huge percentage of the current mods don't work (or break the game) every time there's a patch.

NMM would never be able to handle such a dynamic environment. :sad:

• 2 weeks later...

Chances are with any easily modded new game, a game/engine specific manager will be available before any NMM additions, but this

Unless and until there's a real Toolset to standardize how mods interact with the game, this is almost impossible. A huge percentage of the current mods don't work (or break the game) every time there's a patch.

NMM would never be able to handle such a dynamic environment. :sad:

The second sentence is blatantly and clearly wrong, mitigated by the fact it's a Forum Moderator and not Dark One saying it.

With any game, including the original NMM games of Skyrim, Oblivion and the Fallout Games
"A huge percentage of the current mods don't work (or break the game) every time there's a patch.A huge percentage of the current mods don't work (or break the game) every time there's a patch."

No modder should expect NMM or any other manager, to know what mods are broken by a official game patch, it's never happened for any game including Skyrim.

Every time there's a major Official Patch (v#.#+1 is the standard major designation), many mods are broken and need updating.
SkSE and all the other *SE variants for example, thus every mod that requires a *SE.
Active mods are updated by the modders with extreme haste, inactive ones either eventually get updated or become obsolete, the lower regions of the Nexus are filled mods broken by a major Official Patch.
No manager can or would ever deal with these issues and it's the mod users responsibility to update the mods.
This is why we don't allow Steam etc. to Auto Update our modded games, it takes a little time for the mods to catch up.

The first half of the statement has more merit, but is also wrong.
"Unless and until there's a real Toolset to standardize how mods interact with the game, this is almost impossible."
So NMM didn't exist until after Skyrim's Creation Kit was released?
Of course it did exist, so the statement isn't correct either.

I'm not part of the Nexus Team, but I suspect adding any new games to NMM wqould be answered with

We have no plans for this any time in the near future.

I believe these were the last two games added to Nexus

We've released version 0.49.0 of NMM today which includes support for both Starbound and State of Decay. Both are compliments of modders within the community, KrazyTheFox for Starbound and MrxknownJG for State of Decay. Their help in getting support for these games in to NMM has enabled our dedicated NMM programmers to carry on with other projects in NMM (profiling, mainly) so they have my thanks.

The fact is that Profiling is still the main priority, likely even more now, with public Alpha testing.

So unless "the community" (meaning a dedicated single modder or small team) provides a Modded NMM version, it's extreme.

Is it just me that finds it ironic that a Mod Manager relies on mods for improvements. I'm not implying it's a bad thing. As a MO user and supporter, I'm fully aware how powerful profiles are and welcome their addition to NMM, I'm not about to change my manager for Bethesda Games, profiles are MO's second major feature, the first is Mod Isolation from the Data Folder, requiring a single mod install for all profiles (big SSD space saver) and crucially instant switching between profiles, which are saved as simple text files.

This is, in my opinion, the reason why Dark One has no plans to add any game to NMM in the Near future.

Alternatives are always better than no choice, I haven't found a game yet where NMM is better than the best manager dedicated to that game.

My requirements are power modding, with maximum functionality and learning a new manager is no problem.

If you wan't the same manager for every game, with the downside of no dedicated, game specific functions, then NMM is what you want.

Starts off trying to right some wrongs, then goes in to a tiresome tirade comparing NMM to MO for absolutely no reason. These MO comparison posts where none has been asked for are becoming annoying.

@UhuruNUru; Besides the OT rant Dark0ne noted, you missed the point of my post by focusing on (your own understanding of) a few key words.

But I stand by what I said. For NMM (or any other "mod manager") to be able to handle mods for any particular game, having a "standardize [way] mods interact with the game" is crucial. For TES games, BethSoft had provided a common way for various elements to be defined and integrated in the first version(s) of the "CK" long before Skyrim (or NMM).

From Wikipedia:

The Construction Set is an editing software for the video games The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which are both based on Gamebryo game engine. The Morrowind version shipped with the game while the Oblivion version is available for download.

But so what? It's not necessary that the developer provide it. It's the having standard mechanisms that's important.

Whether the "Toolset" for DA:I that I mention comes from DICE, (as it really should) or BioWare, (who have said they have no plans to produce one) or the team working feverishly on the DAI_Tools and the DAI_ModManager projects (the latter really being a "DAI Mod Merger" app), a formal framework for "how things work" is a requirement. The programmers working on NMM aren't being tasked to reverse-engineer the games themselves in order to figure out how to mod them. Their brief is to figure out how to integrate the mods others have developed! As long as those mods for DA:I are, for the most part, one-offs, it's not worth their time to try.

And the OP's question was if/when NMM would support DA:I. Haven't heard that MO had any ability (or even any plans) to support Inquisiiton. Or indeed any games other than BethSoft ones. Games that just happen to have developer provided Toolsets. Have you?

If NMM could manage a folder with version controlled extracted archives from this website, that would be great. Probably integrated notification if there is a newer version available to download and 'extract'.

Then leave it to the users to run the Mod Manager?

As in Skyrim and Oblivion, where you have the installation and the activation tab.

Just leave out the activation tab and place the folder for the extracted archives somewhere in the users home directory?

Activation would be then running the Mod Manager, tick the mods you want from the extracted archives folder and run merge.