Converting FO3 Hats to NV

Hossinfeffa

Today I have been converting some things from FO3 to NV for use. Got weapons to work mostly, armor as well. I am having trouble with the hats though. I can get the hat to appear fine in-game, but when it is worn the hat is at the left side of the character's head and resting on the shoulder.

What would be the solution to this? I am not sure if there is some setting in the GECK that I am missing, or if it is a new difference in model meshes from FO3 to NV.

Upon playing the game a bit more, I noticed all hats now appear the same way...

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1549/falloutnv20101022171629.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: I just did a test. I made a new blank mod and immediately tried doing the "Update FaceGen model availability" and that is what made ALL hats lay on the side of the head. Is there anyway to fix it? Otherwise I will have to start my mod over. :P

Edit2: Another discovery. My mod is using HatPoliceAdult. I made an exact copy of the hat in the GECK. The original hat is worn fine, while the exact copy is worn to the side. Not sure why it does this at all..

Edited by Hossinfeffa

I had that problem when i started porting the classic power armor from fo3, then it just went away i mean i got no clue i was trying to fix it in nifskope but it just corrupted the files even if all i did was open and save the nif. then i just got slotted off and gave up then it worked all of a sudden after like 3 hours of messing around and cursing. and nothing was modified game just decided to fix it itself after driving me up a tree.

Like 2 minutes after my reply here, I had found this thread: Link. But I didn't have time to come back to this thread.

I have a thread on the official forums on the hairstyle findings, I'll add this info here. Thanks for testing the geck with a blank mod. :) Regarding the police hat copy, I wonder if it's not related.

cerebus23, Which version of NifSkope are you using? I found a bug with the latest test build, materialproperty gets saved as a wrong version, even if you only open/save a file.

it was whatever the latest i could find on the site, and the updated xml prefs file someone posted here that was supposed to be updated for fonv. every time i tried saving the model if i had done nothing or had tried tweaking it when the game imported it all it showed was a big pink ! so i deleted it entirely and put the org file back from the fo3 mod and when i loaded up that time it somehow worked and been working ever since dunno but somehow it just sorted itself out.

Like 2 minutes after my reply here, I had found this thread: Link. But I didn't have time to come back to this thread.

I have a thread on the official forums on the hairstyle findings, I'll add this info here. Thanks for testing the geck with a blank mod. :) Regarding the police hat copy, I wonder if it's not related.

cerebus23, Which version of NifSkope are you using? I found a bug with the latest test build, materialproperty gets saved as a wrong version, even if you only open/save a file.

I read through your links and I did manage to fix the headwear as well as my mod back to normal. I used FNVedit and removed all of the headwear entries out of my mod. That fixed the damage done from using Update FaceGen. Then it was as simple as adding a "1" when editing the FaceGen Model Flags of my custom hat. The problem seems to be when using Update FaceGen, the flags are deleted. While if you try to just create a new hat entirely, it starts off without any flags as well. But now everything works, and I am happy. Thanks for your help! I hope this helps anyone else who has this problem until a patch comes out. :P

Just to clarify what Hossinfeffa means... When you open the mod in FNVedit, there's a greyed out listing under Male biped model

Right click and select "add"

After you get a warning about the mod being edited, accept the warning.

Right click in the blank space on the side and select "edit"

You'll get a series of 0's. Delete all of them. Enter just a single "1".

Save and close.

The entry should work now as long as there is no issue with the model.

Kudos for finding this out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify what Hossinfeffa means... When you open the mod in FNVedit, there's a greyed out listing under Male biped model

Right click and select "add"

After you get a warning about the mod being edited, accept the warning.

Right click in the blank space on the side and select "edit"

You'll get a series of 0's. Delete all of them. Enter just a single "1".

Save and close.

The entry should work now as long as there is no issue with the model.

Kudos for finding this out.

Thank you so much!