Converting FO3 Hats to NV

Hossinfeffa

Today I have been converting some things from FO3 to NV for use. Got weapons to work mostly, armor as well. I am having trouble with the hats though. I can get the hat to appear fine in-game, but when it is worn the hat is at the left side of the character's head and resting on the shoulder.

What would be the solution to this? I am not sure if there is some setting in the GECK that I am missing, or if it is a new difference in model meshes from FO3 to NV.

I've been informed by the staff at Bethesda that this sort of thing is, and I quote, illegal.

Here's the screengrab of the warning I received.

Giving legal advise is also of questionable legality. Someone might want to inform those mods or whoever that giving warnings like that may be actionable in and of itself. (I'm not a lawyer either, so this is just me making a snarky observation.)

Copyright and EULA laws vary from country to country. Your rights will obviously vary depending on where you live.

I've been informed by the staff at Bethesda that this sort of thing is, and I quote, illegal.

Luckily the things I have been converting are all third party. Weapon and outfit models made by the community that originally worked in FO3.

I'm not exactly sure how it would be illegal to talk of actual FO3 model conversions. But.. their game, their rules I guess.

Luckily the things I have been converting are all third party. Weapon and outfit models made by the community that originally worked in FO3.

I'm not exactly sure how it would be illegal to talk of actual FO3 model conversions. But.. their game, their rules I guess.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

On March 30, 2009 I took the textures from the four terrorist models in Counter Strike: Source and photoshopped them onto the four zombies in Left 4 Dead.

css phoenix -> l4d boomer

css arctic -> l4d hunter

css leet -> l4d smoker

css guerilla -> l4d tank

I worked very hard on my reskins, and proudly uploaded them to the community, only to have an administrator trash my upload minutes after I put it up.

I was pointed to a post which stated: GSC GameWorld (Stalker) and Running with Scissors (Postal 2) Are the only two games in which, legally, can have their textures/models ported.

If I'm not mistaken, all of those mods that rip armor and weapons from Mass Effect and many other games, then import and rig them into Fallout, etc. are also a question of legality.

You can get sued for hosting ported content, which is why you don't find any of it here on the nexus.

Like that message from the moderator said, if nobody knows, nobody knows. However posting methods on how to do such things isn't going to stay public for long.

• 1 month later...
So, to clarify, if ALL the headwear models of both sexes and all races are being worn to the side of the head in our mod (because I hit facegen update too), DELETE thos entries in Falloutnvedit, save. Then, go back into geck with the .esp, which will load the falloutnv.esm, simply save, and the models will be restored? (teh vanilla ones). I assume all I'm doing be deleting them in falloutedit is removing the 'modified' headwear (which is now ALL of it argg).

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a trick I picked up along the way

Open the GECK, Go the Character, and select the "Update FaceGen Model Availiability" option.

FNVEdit

On the left side of the screen after you load the problem mod in FNVEdit, you'll see several Data Structure trees. They should read like this:

[00] FalloutNV.esm

[00] FalloutNV.exe

[01] WhateverYouNamedYourProblemMod

Open the Data tree of your mod by clicking the little + Plus sign next to it. Scroll down and you'll see the "Armor Addon" and the "Armor" trees.

Let's start with the "Armor Addon". If you don't have an Armor Addon data tree, GOOD! That's less work you're going to have to do, but let's pretend that you do...

Open the Armor Addon tree and you'll see a list of some armor addon items, like "LucasSimmsHat" or "VaultSecurityHelmet"

Select one of these items by left clicking on it.

Now on the right side you should see 3 columns. At the top the first section will be blank, the 2nd will read "[00] FalloutNV.esm" and the 3rd will be the name of your messed up mod.

Any way, on the right side of the screen you'll see a whole bunch of data cells in the first column with stuff like "Record Header" "OBND - Object Bounds" etc.

Scroll down untill you see a section called "Male biped Model" In that section you will have a cell that reads "MODD - FaceGen Model Flags"

In the 2nd column next to this cell, it should say "Head"

In the 3rd column directly next to it, it will be blank.

You're going to want to select and drag the word "Head" from the 2nd column and drop it on the empty cell in the 3rd column - when you do this, you will get a Warning screen pop up asking if you're sure you want to do this, select "Yes" and poof, the word "Head" is now in the 3rd column like it is supposed to be.

If you don't want to bother with the whole dragging cells stuff, here is an alternate way. You can just right click on the empty cell, click "Add" and the right click on the empty cell again and click "Edit". You'll get a small window pop up that says "Edit Value" and will have a bunch of Zeros. Delete the zeros and simply type the number "1" and hit ok.

Now, some of these items have female model versions, like for instance the "Pre-War Bonnet"

You'll need to do the same thing you did in the "Male biped Model" section and do it in the "Female biped Model" section. Note that not all items have a "Female biped Model" section.

There. You've just fixed one of the items you had the 90 degree problem with. In order to save this, click the "X" in the top right of the window to close the window and you'll get a window asking you to save your mod.

Man Do I love FNVEdit ...

• 2 months later...
im also having trouble converting Fo3 to Fnv, i did eveything i know to be correct, but the armor will not show in game, nor will any container i put it in, i used to have this mod for FNV, but all i can get now is the 1 for Fo3 as the author isnt on here anymore and his files have been deleted, i just want the 1 armor for personal use and i'd like to know if this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDMpXrNm71o is the correct way to convert it from Fo3 to FNV, i would give the link to where i got the file but i donot wish to get kicked or banned myself!